Full Throttle

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
M4vr1k

Full Throttle

Post by M4vr1k » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Just watched Full Throttle on the History channel, it featured 2 1971 240Zs What they did was put in a sports cam, 4 barrel Holley carb, extractors and exhaust system and an MSD ignition system. Both cars ran around the 20 second 1/4 mile time.....surely this cant be accurate!?

if it is......wow that is really damn slow, i would have expected more from them...

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:14 am

that's probably close, they have about an 8 second 0-60 time and a top speed of 120-ish (by rule of aerodynamics)

you'll be pushing it to get a sub 15 lap
I Currently Don't own a Zed

Pest

Post by Pest » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:21 pm

That sounds slow to me too. My bog-standard 260 did a 16.62 last time it was on the road.

M4vr1k

Post by M4vr1k » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:14 pm

yeah thats what i thought....i would be most disappointed if my 260 did a similar time to my GTI pulsar.....my pulsar ran a 16.5 last time on the strip...and its only an 1800

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:12 pm

yee-har! take one of them liddle ole rice-burners, throw away them puny liddle Hitchi thangs, bolt on a gen-yew-ine made-in-the YEW ESS AYE foah-barrel carby, and what do yer get???

a car that waddles along the strip slower than it did before??? sheez! where did they get those guys??? Hicksville, Nebraska?? since when was a four-barrel any good on ANYTHING?? never mind that they probably didnt even know what jets are.

deary me, what a disappointment. here I was hoping for an in-depth review of the Zeds design history, and I got 4th-Grade Machine-Shop instead!

oh well, it could have been worse - they could have added a hood-scoop or two, a few subwoofers, ....

Neo

Post by Neo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:54 pm

Hi Guys i watched this today,,the last 1/4 mile race the Red 240 ran 17.8,

they did a fantastic job at making them slower than stock standard...

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:03 pm

downloading at the moment!

edit: just watched it... what a crock of poo's! how many miles had those cars done??? they were exceptionally slow :O

mckenzig

Post by mckenzig » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:07 pm

I have recieved my tape from NZ and my thoughts are. If you ignore the parts concearned with making the Z's slower than standard, then the historic footage was well worth the effort of getting it.

M4vr1k

Post by M4vr1k » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:57 pm

i thoroughly enjoyed the original 240Z advert, the big flared jeans, the big hair, the adjustment of the big glasses, it was great!

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:49 am

I believe that historic footage is from another Doco that the Discovery Channel made a few years back on the complete history of the Zed (from a US bent of cause). We should try and track down a copy of this original Doco as it would be worth a view :)

mckenzig

Post by mckenzig » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:27 am

I have seen what I presume to be the original version for sale on Amazon but it was NTSC.

mckenzig

Post by mckenzig » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:23 pm

The documentary can be found on the history channels web site as a dvd. I have been in touch with them to ascertain if the players in Australia and New Zealand will play it?

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:09 pm

mckenzig wrote:The documentary can be found on the history channels web site as a dvd. I have been in touch with them to ascertain if the players in Australia and New Zealand will play it?
Good on you - keep us posted as I would love to get a copy also :) maybe a group buy if we can get enough numbers (I am sure that between this club and a few of the Australian Z Clubs (or other NZ/OZ club members who would be keen) we could get the number up for sure (spread the shipping cost over a larger number of buyers))

mckenzig

Post by mckenzig » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:00 pm

I recieved a reply from A&E and this was to inform me that the DVD will not play in our part of the world.
Do not despair though,as I found a very expensive Video copy in PAL, so have been in touch with the English club to see if anyone has a copy. Will keep in touch, regards

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:29 pm

mckenzig wrote:I recieved a reply from A&E and this was to inform me that the DVD will not play in our part of the world.
Do not despair though,as I found a very expensive Video copy in PAL, so have been in touch with the English club to see if anyone has a copy. Will keep in touch, regards
that's not exactly true.

Most NTSC dvd's will play in our dvd players and most tv's will too.

I know all of the dvd players / tv's in this house will do it.

If you have a computer with a dvd drive in it then that will almost definately play it aswell.