Auto Transmission fluid change

350Z
Buzzed

Auto Transmission fluid change

Post by Buzzed » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:56 pm

I'd really like to know whether you absolutely need to use the Nissan OEM Auto transmission fluid, or whether other manufacturers fluids are equivalent, as Nissan seems quite adamant that you use their product or risk damage. For example with Penrite ATF FS (Full Synthetic) their website states 'ATF FS Multi-Vehicle can be used in', among other makes, 'Nissan vehicles where Nissan Nissanmatic C, D, J, K & S* are required'. To confuse me further, I dropped into Farmer Nissan in Tauranga, to see what was recommended and to check the price of the presumably OEM fluid. Told them my car registration number and they came up with a Total (the brand Total that is) full synthetic fluid as being recommended, which they'd have to get in. Any clarification and recommendation on this would be appreciated as there seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there.

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:26 pm

My 350z is manual but my wife has a 2007 350GT with the HR engine and 5 speed auto transmission. Owned it since 2011. I change the transmission fluid in it myself now and after research chose the Penrite ATF FS which you mentioned. Did it back in 2019 and no ill effects that I can tell. I took it in once or twice before that to an Auto Transmission shop and have no idea what they used but it seemed fine.

I put an OS Giken super lock LSD in my 350z and use their own special fluid in that. There's definitely times to strictly adhere to manufacturers instructions.

Buzzed

Post by Buzzed » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:43 am

Yeah it now has the Penrite fluid and new filter kit in, and all seems fine. Much appreciate your reply, cheers.