DeeCee

1977 Datsun Fairlady Z S31 Rolling Shell

Post by DeeCee » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:56 pm

1977 Datsun Fairlady Z S31 Rolling Shell

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars ... 3634989490

Asking Price $20,000
Location Wellington

Hi all,

looking to sell my S31 rolling chassis. From the information I was able to gather, the Z was imported as is, and flagged as requiring repair cert with all of the rust. Car has not been registered in NZ, though there were some bits and bobs provided with the car as mementos from other cars.

This is a big restoration project, and previously I was commited to a resto-mod, but am going a different direction, so time to move this on to an owner who would like to take on this project and restore her to glory.

- Right hand drive rolling chassis
- Doors are reasonably clean
- 280Z vented bonnet has rust in the leading edge
- Front, door, side, rear glass
- Petrol tank
- Rear lights
- Front lights
- Seats
- Heater matrix
- Dash (cracked)
- Gauges
- Chrome trims
- Original OEM Z side badges
- Original Fairlady Z badges
- Various repair panels including a rear clip
- Has prop shaft, driveshafts, diff
- L28 ECU, wiring loom
- Energy Suspension Bushing Kit from Summit Racing
- OEM Fender Mirrors
- Adjustable rear control arms
- Rear Swaybar
- Various other parts per the pictures
Bonus - I'll chuck in a car rotisserie kit which I purchased for this project. Never assembled the kit and it needed wheels, the main longitudinal bar and some faffing about but its mostly there. Look up Earls Body Shop Car Rotisserie earlsbodyshop.co.nz/car-rotisserie

Also available for sale but not included in the current price of the car:

- RB25DET Neo
- R33 GTR gearbox converted to RWD
- 200ZR rearward sump with factory OEM oil pickup
- Skyline R200 4.1 diff and 5x1 axles
- R32 EFI fuel tank
- Holset HX35 with Bullseye Turbo 0.7 A/R T3 housing 3" outlet. Comes with genuine cummins 90deg metal joiner
- S15 5 stud hubs and arms

Rust in sills, dog legs, rear quarters, hatch area, floors, etc not a project for the faint of heart, but at least there are a number of companies like Klassic Fab Vintage, who make lots of panels for repair.

To be fair, I have seriously debated on keeping this car and going EV, amd I think it would be a great chassis to modify for EV use.

130 Pictures to review. Higher res available.
http://www.deecee.co.nz/uncategorized/1977-fairlady-z/

Feel free to message me and we can have a chat.

Cheers David
Last edited by DeeCee on Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:50 pm

That's an honest sale. Admittedly a lot of work, but a good way to enter the S31 ownership at a lower start price provided you have the ability to do the work. good luck with the sale.
Bernie Kant
Club President

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:36 am

It's definitely a big project, and I'd love to take it on, but my time and money is better spent on other things to be fair.
There is always a part of me that is pushing to keep the car and start chucking money at it to move the project forward, but I have to be sensible and move on from the car at this point in life.

I've collected a fair amount of kit in preparation for the resto-mod, just a shame that time doesn't allow for me working stupid long hours on the car.