400Z Discussion

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
bernjean
Z Club Member

400Z Discussion

Post by bernjean » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:49 am

I thought it might be nice to provide an opportunity for members to discuss their thoughts around the up and coming 400Z
I will start it off.

I love the fact that it has gone back to the Z routes and used the S30 as a design principle. I don't think this would have been easy, there is a need to keep the purists and also the millennials happy. I have heard comments about the front grille opening, I sort of get that. The original 240 had the same, but the bumper broke it up.
I guess it has to be attractive to those who actually be buying it. Middle age Men????? 240 owners with a bit of loose change who just love the Zeds.

This car will have to be a Supra beater, is it? Does it look better than the Supra?
What do you feel about the interior I see they have retained the 3 gauges in the centre of the dash.
Is the 3-litre twin-turbo the right motor choice?
What about some comments on the 300xz taillamps?
Tailpipes, I loved the 240Z look with the twin pipes one on top of the other, would that have looked more retro?
Bernie Kant
Club President

stevenewenham
Z Club Member

Post by stevenewenham » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:20 pm

That grille opening does stand out.Depending on how they position the number plate could potentially reduce the effect.
To me it does look better than the Supra.I like the basic shape and proportions of the Supra, but I think they have detracted from that with
way too many fake openings , grills, vents and what have you.I like the Z's clean simple, smooth surfaces much better.
I think the interior works - the 3 gauges harking back to the original and all other models since, with more modern shaping, I like.
The motor was always going to be a turbo.I don't think naturally aspirated, with enough grunt, can meet current emission standards, and I think most of us (the sports car market in general) have moved on from the view that only N.A. is "pure".
There have been some comments on the tail lights.Personally I like them.They are much narrower than those of the 300ZX and so, to me,more in keeping with modern design trends.I think they fit in well with the rest of the design.
I guess with a V6 vertically stacked exhaust pipes on the same side would not be ideal.Even if there is not an efficiency issue, that would have been a retro step too far for me.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:12 am

Here is rendering of a shooting brake version of the 400Z

https://www.motor1.com/news/447047/niss ... ing-brake/
Bernie Kant
Club President

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:04 am

Hers a little more info on the forth coming 400Z. They are saying that the production model will be mainly unchanged and that the car will be priced right.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37025/nis ... cutive?xid
Bernie Kant
Club President

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:49 pm

Bernie Kant
Club President

Skiwi

Post by Skiwi » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:51 am

Just for a moment imagine if they had gone twin turbo on the 3.7L for the 400Z :D
When you drive a "Z" the destination is moot

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:28 pm

3.7 twin turbo
Oh to dream. Wouldn't that be a great combination,
Just you wait somebody in the states will do it.
Bernie Kant
Club President

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Just we are discussing this this post pops up. https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2023 ... 51327.html
Bernie Kant
Club President

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:38 pm

Just posting this up I think it is worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSF0KO4YUjs
Bernie Kant
Club President