Swapping rear lights and back panel

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
MBlades

Swapping rear lights and back panel

Post by MBlades » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi guys, just picked up a 1977 Fairlady Z 260z S31 JDM that I’ll look to do a rebuild on, ive not got it yet, was wondering if the 240Z rear lights and back panel fit the 260Z, notice also the dash and console seem slightly different, are these swappable ? Being JDM it’s not got USA bumpers, so does that make actual body shape same as the 240z ?

Appreciate Help

Mark

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:42 pm

Welcome. Look forward to following your build thread.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:37 am

Hopefully someone will know.
I would guess that the taillights should they look the same size. The dash assembly is quite different on the 260z, I would guess if you change the farme and the heater assembly it would work. The heater on the 260 is vacuum operated where the 240 is cable.
Bernie Kant
Club President

MBlades

Post by MBlades » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:06 pm

Thanks Bernie

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:32 pm

Hello,

May be able to offer some help.

240z lights will not directly bolt up, you will need to cut, drill and weld up some holes.

Dash will bolt up however you will need to swap the heater and all the misc bits attached to it including the console if you wanted to use a 240z dash. There are also the brackets to the trans tunnel that will need to be switched over for both the console and the dash

The body shape is 100% the same, late 260z, 280z and S31 were all built with a bit more reinforcing, doors mechanisms are slightly different etc. But in essence much the same as a 240z.