Rodger's 240Z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
ZBeck
Z Club Member

Rodger's 240Z

Post by ZBeck » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Hello,
Having enjoyed reading many build threads for years, its time to pay back and start my own. Over the course of a few posts I'll bring folks up to the present day of where the car is at. I purchased the car back in 2015 from a lady who had owned it for 27 years. While it had not been abused it was certainly used and needs a full rebuild. Drove it home and used it for about a year before the rust got too bad to pass a warrant.
These first few posts will be a bit of a learning curve.....
Attachments
This is the day I purchased back in 2015
Last edited by ZBeck on Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Welcome and I'd say enjoy, but sounds like you have been already. :D
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks Bronzee, have enjoyed pulling her apart, I think it will be a while yet before I get to drive her again.
For a couple of years we were working on our house so the Datsun had to live in a rented unit (prison?). During this time I accumulated a few parts for the restoration. I'm fortunate in that for work I travel to the US once of twice a year, brought back from MSA a new interior and weatherstrip kit. From Z Car Depot a rubber suspension kit. Its a road car so didn't really want to use urethane bushes if I can avoid it. Also on a trip to Melbourne brought back new old stock door cards, I'm changing to a black interior so was wrapped to get these.
Attachments
IMG_1225.JPG
a lonely home for a couple of years
a lonely home for a couple of years
Last edited by ZBeck on Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:53 am

Many thanks for your commitment to show us your build, We will be looking forward to the updates. In regards to your rebuild, remember that the difference between a great looking rebuild and an average one is the detail. Polish all the stainless steel parts and get your badges looking really good. New trim is going to make the interior look very sharp. I replaced my front screen with a new one when a rebuilt my car. Not that it needed it but I didn't want the old screen with a glass full of a lifetime of stone chips.

All the best with your build.
Bernie Kant
Club President

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks Bernie, I have a new front screen ready to go. When the car could no longer pass the warrant due to rust, they also failed it due to a growing crack in the screen, insurance paid for a new one no problem.

here's a few random photos,
This is a few years ago. Getting a few mechanical niggles sorted, nothing serious, new fuel pump, new temp gauge sender and a change of fluids. I wanted to get the car up on a hoist to make sure all was ok underneath and nothing was going to fall off.
This is a few years ago. Getting a few mechanical niggles sorted, nothing serious, new fuel pump, new temp gauge sender and a change of fluids. I wanted to get the car up on a hoist to make sure all was ok underneath and nothing was going to fall off.
the gear stick was rattling around so I fitted a kit with new bushes, rubber and leather boot.
the gear stick was rattling around so I fitted a kit with new bushes, rubber and leather boot.
IMG_2355.JPG
Attachments
don't you just love that tartan upholstery?  Not my clans colours so not keeping it
don't you just love that tartan upholstery? Not my clans colours so not keeping it
IMG_2356.JPG

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:04 pm

:? trying again with the photo orientated correctly

Attachments
right way round (2).jpg

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing her on the road when all finished.

Who did she belong to before? 27 years is a long time to own, was it a clubbie?
Next - Z Club events:

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:58 pm

Awesome - great to see another one come out of the woodwork! Didn’t know this car existed! Do you know where the car originated given the indicator repeats on the guards?

Keep us updated with progress!

Just done a repaint on mine.....they are never done!
72 240z plus bits

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:03 pm

BRONZEE wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:14 pm Looking forward to seeing her on the road when all finished.

Who did she belong to before? 27 years is a long time to own, was it a clubbie?
I purchased the car from Karen Metz, I checked the old ownership papers, she purchased the car in 1983 so actually owned it for some 32 years :shock:
Not sure if it was she who belonged to the club but one of the previous owners must have as there is an old style Z club sticker on the quarter glass window.

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:21 pm

nustad wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:58 pm Awesome - great to see another one come out of the woodwork! Didn’t know this car existed! Do you know where the car originated given the indicator repeats on the guards?

Keep us updated with progress!

Just done a repaint on mine.....they are never done!
Hi nustard, I have the old Post Office ownership papers. The car was previously registered in Hong Kong and was imported into NZ on the 12 December 1973. I have tried tracking down the original NZ owner to try and understand the cars history but have had no luck making contact. The car was first registered in NZ on rego plate GZ2433 with 9,150 miles on the clock. I'm guessing the first owner was an expat in Hong Kong and brought the car back with him and this would account for the front guards having indicators (which I'm thinking about removing for aesthetic reasons....)
During the ownership of Karen, the lady I purchased the car from, it was off the road for 2 or 3 years due to lack of use. This meant the rego lapsed and she had to re-register the car with its current plate WD7669. That's a shame as it would be nice to have the old black plates. Karen had to hand them in when the new ones were issued.
Does anyone have any hints on how to be able to get/use black plates?

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:08 am

7C2034F3-2284-40B4-A1F9-A2D0C5F15504.jpeg
I managed to get the original plate reissued as a personalised plate as the previous owner put a pp on it and also surrendered the black plates. First I repainted the new ones and then I got replicas made by Doozi (in Hamilton and on Facebook). Hopefully Kiwiplates will do the same .......... Email me glenn@waitete.com if you want more info.
Last edited by nustad on Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
72 240z plus bits

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm

Wow, that's really cool that you decided to have the original plates re-minted. Helps to keep the history of the car together.
Next - Z Club events:

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:11 pm

So at the start of 2019 I had the car in the shed at home
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG
Rust peaking through, there will be more I was sure.....
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:44 pm

Pulling the car apart reveled some rather average rust repair in the past.
lower front guard
lower front guard
front of a sill
front of a sill
leading edge of the bonnet
leading edge of the bonnet
hatch
hatch
hatch
hatch
hatch
hatch
and looks like she had a bang behind the drivers door
big
big
bigger
bigger
biggest
biggest

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:51 pm

some more random disassembly photos
IMG-0028.JPG
love the factory? hand painted black
love the factory? hand painted black
IMG-3310.JPG
Hmmm
Hmmm
there has been some fish oil added at some stage. Probably 30 years too late...
there has been some fish oil added at some stage. Probably 30 years too late...