Rodger's 240Z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
ZBeck
Z Club Member

Re: Rodger's 240Z

Post by ZBeck » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 pm

In August, all stripped down, she was off to Rotorua for a dip in the hot pools.
IMG_3313.JPG
IMG_3316.JPG
IMG_3322.JPG

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 am

Many thanks for sharing your build. Just looking at your car sitting on the trailer, even all stripped down they look stunning. Please keep the pictures od rebuild coming we really enjoy them. Are you doing the bodywork your self, Being a panel beater by trade I know the work that goes into that.

All the best.
Bernie Kant
Club President

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:49 pm

bernjean wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 am Many thanks for sharing your build. Just looking at your car sitting on the trailer, even all stripped down they look stunning. Please keep the pictures od rebuild coming we really enjoy them. Are you doing the bodywork your self, Being a panel beater by trade I know the work that goes into that.

All the best.
Hi Bernie,
Rowan Marshall in Morrinsville is doing the body work for me.
Cheers

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:59 pm

October last year dropped her off at Kiwi Metal Polishers in Rotorua.
Attachments
IMG_5077.JPG

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:01 pm

IMG_5179.JPG
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5181.JPG

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 pm

IMG_5184.JPG
Hold ya breath!
Hold ya breath!
IMG_5202.JPG
IMG_5203.JPG
Yuk!
Yuk!
thats a slab of bog that came off the door
thats a slab of bog that came off the door
:shock:

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:15 pm

IMG_5209.JPG
IMG_5210.JPG
IMG_5211.JPG
:shock: :shock:
water blast and then back in again
water blast and then back in again
IMG_5215.JPG
IMG_5216.JPG
IMG_5217.JPG
IMG_5218.JPG
IMG_5221.JPG
IMG_5416.JPG
IMG_5417.JPG
IMG_5420.JPG
IMG_5429.JPG
IMG_5433.JPG
IMG_5445.JPG
IMG_5447.JPG
IMG_5449.JPG
IMG_5450.JPG
IMG_5453.JPG
Attachments
IMG_5434.JPG

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:19 pm

There is three different tanks it is dipped in each cycle and I think there was two cycles to take all the paint, bog, under seal etc off.
Then it was cavity spray painted.
IMG_5489.JPG
IMG_5490.JPG
IMG_5491.JPG
IMG_5493.JPG
IMG_5494.JPG

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:27 pm

Picking the dipped car up.
Picking the dipped car up.
IMG_3484.JPG
Lunch
Lunch
Dropping the car off to its new home for a while at Rowan Marshalls in Morrinsville.
Dropping the car off to its new home for a while at Rowan Marshalls in Morrinsville.
IMG_3486.JPG

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:43 pm

and here's a few close up pictures of the rusty spots. I knew the floors were bad, patches on patches but a lot of other rusty areas were only reveled by the dip in the "Truth Serum".
IMG_3487.JPG
under the battery box
under the battery box
IMG_3489.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG
IMG_3491.JPG
IMG_3492.JPG
floor rust were the sound deadening had lifted slightly over the years allowing moisture in.
floor rust were the sound deadening had lifted slightly over the years allowing moisture in.
IMG_3494.JPG
IMG_3495.JPG
IMG_3497.JPG
IMG_3498.JPG
IMG_3504.JPG
check out those welds
check out those welds
:shock:
left side is just as bad
left side is just as bad
IMG_3507.JPG
IMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3509.JPG
IMG_3514.JPG
IMG_3517.JPG
Attachments
She might be rusty but at least shes pretty straight
She might be rusty but at least shes pretty straight
Last edited by ZBeck on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks for the update, looks your body man has a bit of work ahead of him. I am not a big fan of dipping, prefer media blasting. A word of warning. Dipping will remove all the rust protection the car currently has, although it may not seem like much it will have removed any product still remaining in between panels. Inside framework etc. It is therefore absolutely essential that all these areas are protected again. Once the car is painted you need to plug up all the drain holes and apply very thin rust kill and then rust preventative. This product must get into all the crevices that the dipping solution has got into and cleaned out.

All the best with the rebuild, looking forward to some awesome results.
Bernie Kant
Club President

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:04 pm

ZBeck wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:03 pm
BRONZEE wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:14 pm Looking forward to seeing her on the road when all finished.

Who did she belong to before? 27 years is a long time to own, was it a clubbie?
I purchased the car from Karen Metz, I checked the old ownership papers, she purchased the car in 1983 so actually owned it for some 32 years :shock:
Not sure if it was she who belonged to the club but one of the previous owners must have as there is an old style Z club sticker on the quarter glass window.
Possibly. That's a loong time ago. Some of the more original members might know.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ZBeck
Z Club Member

Post by ZBeck » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:13 am

bernjean wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 pm Thanks for the update, looks your body man has a bit of work ahead of him. I am not a big fan of dipping, prefer media blasting. A word of warning. Dipping will remove all the rust protection the car currently has, although it may not seem like much it will have removed any product still remaining in between panels. Inside framework etc. It is therefore absolutely essential that all these areas are protected again. Once the car is painted you need to plug up all the drain holes and apply very thin rust kill and then rust preventative. This product must get into all the crevices that the dipping solution has got into and cleaned out.

All the best with the rebuild, looking forward to some awesome results.
I did a lot of umming and ahhing :? about the dipping verses blasting decision, heard a lot of stories from panel beaters about the pros and cons. I was concerned with media blasting a thin metaled car inducing warping etc and knew this was going to have to be a comprehensive body restoration so went with dipping. Rowan, the panel beater/restorer has extensive experience and he strongly recommended dipping. My nervousness in dipping was reduced when I saw the type and value cars also being dipped, 65 Mustang fastback, a couple of 40s Fords, a couple of early Porches, miscellaneous others and the stand out, a 1968 Mazda Cosmos.
I do agree Bernie, once a car has been dipped it does need careful work to ensure it is correctly and completely protected again.
Cheers

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:43 pm

It's all good, forwarned is forearmed. Load full of Rustproofing when finished.
Bernie Kant
Club President

MBlades

Post by MBlades » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Wow that’s Amazing !! What he charge for that, if you don’t mind me asking ? Does it leave the dip place uncoated, straight to body shop, you got a guestimate on cost if body work repairs ? Really looking forward to seeing this, just picked up a project Z myself, just starting research now regards Mark