240z bumper rubbers - buying from states

Things, for sale and wanted - descriptive topics
nustad
Z Club Member

240z bumper rubbers - buying from states

Post by nustad » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 pm

Hey Z-aphiles,

My 72 240z is getting bit of refresh including rechroming front and rear bumpers. It would be a shame to use the old rubbers so I am checking if anyone has bought out of the states. About 15 years ago I got some NOS bumper rubbers out of the states from a mate over there. Drag them out and they are too short for the rear bumpers. So now I am concerned about buying more for a 70-72 Z out of the US in case they don't fit.

Has anyone bought any recently and which supplier did you use?

I am also looking at tail light gaskets and the door opening pinch weld trim (welting?) Any experience getting these as well........?

THANKS!

Glenn
72 240z plus bits

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:21 am

Hi Glenn,

I have some new rear bumper rubbers I bought a few years ago still sitting in my collection and waiting to be fitted one day. I will check their length against the ones on the car and see if they still have a part number on them. I'm guessing that I probably bought them from Motorsport Auto but lately I've been buying more stuff from Z Car Depot as they are quicker to deal with.

Likewise I have some taillight rubbers that came with a kit and I'm pretty sure I used new ones last time I had the tail lights out and still have a spare set of those. I will check what they are.

I purchased some new door welting a few years back too and the standard ones are a two piece item that are an absolute pain to fit. In frustration I gave up and went to Para Rubber and bought some generic one piece stuff that works a treat.

Mike

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Hi Mike,

THANKS for that - good to know about the door welting from Para!! I ended up buying some bumper rubbers from Australia so will see whether they are good enough in a few days.

I didn't get an alert from the forum tool so missed your post........have just bought tail light gaskets from Motorsports Auto.

I am actually getting the car taken back to bare metal. Its not a full resto as the engine is staying in but at least the body will be presentable. The paint was reacting and looking very scruffy up close. Also getting the last few bubbles of rust sorted. The guards have come off for the first time and I was delighted to find everything was perfectly solid - not even surface rust present. Factory welds from Nissan a bit ugly!.

Cheers

Glenn
72 240z plus bits