240z rear end. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
Cohen_Brewerton

240z rear end. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Post by Cohen_Brewerton » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:35 pm

I have been searching high and low for a r180lsd from a sti or a r200lsd from a z31 for my Rb26dett 240z
Starting to consider a complete subframe from technotoytuning. But would rather not spend 3,000 usd to put a solid diff in my car.
Any help on finding a diff or a solution would be great.
Thanks in advance.

djz

Post by djz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:13 pm

There's a few aftermarket clutch R200 LSDs on Trademe or hundreds on Yahoo Japan. Very few Z31s here had limited slips.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Could just buy a cusco or kaaz etc lsd unit and get it fitted to your open r180 or r200.

Might be more expensive initially but you are garunteed to have a 'good' diff rarther than a 2nd hand used unit

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:09 am

If you planning on using that LSD to do some hard driving I would highly recommend an ATB unit, I have been using Quaife helical centres without a diff cooler without any failures, yet the R200 plate diffs seemed to need constant repair and replacement.

85_z31

Post by 85_z31 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Andy wrote:If you planning on using that LSD to do some hard driving I would highly recommend an ATB unit, I have been using Quaife helical centres without a diff cooler without any failures, yet the R200 plate diffs seemed to need constant repair and replacement.
Andy speaks the truth, but they are quite alright in a street weekend car.

Short nose LSD R200 centers can be fitted to your long nose I have done several of these. The trap of doing this is the diff input / CV axle setup. Long nose and short nose diffs both have 2 thin side bearing shims and one fat side bearing Spacer.

the Taller Ratio Long nose R200's have this fat spacer on the right hand side, shorter ratio long nose R200 have this on the left hand side. This is to do with the thickness of the crown wheel and the respective parts diagrams show this also )
if you are planning to run any used short nose R200 LSD the orientation of this fat spacer needs to match or you will have diff input stubs you can't use. Information on this is unreliable.

Its easy to go down the path buying diffs and fighting combinations of axle stubs and spline counts that wont work, so in the long run its quite reasonable to purchase a new LSD thats the correct part to work, be this an ATB or Kaazz.

For Example to get a plate LSD into my Z31 used a recipe of DR30,Z31 & R32 GTR parts to make a direct bolt in setup to use my old CV's but I spent Nearly $1200, perhaps spending another $300 more would have been served to have the newer technology brand new part.

It could also be worth having a fabricator modify the sub frame to take a complete short nose R200
1985 Z31 Slicktop Turbo