agecage
Z Club Member

Dream Zed

Post by agecage » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:51 pm

If only i had the money to buy this one:
http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/auction ... 1034817020

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:53 am

why did they ruin it with that ugly widebody?
and seeing 3.8 engine you'd think if its a genuine 380RS they'd be advertising it as one

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:04 am

Yep, too much body kit for my liking! Each to their own though... ;-)
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast

agecage
Z Club Member

Post by agecage » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:18 pm

It is a genuine 380rs, here's an article on it.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/featur ... erleggera/

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:56 pm

It looked better with the same wheels in the article posted above. now it just looks too lowered for my liking, either that or are the wheels just smaller?

Also, isn't this the same car featured in Gran Turismo? was tuned by Amuse too..

agecage
Z Club Member

Post by agecage » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:24 pm

Yes the car in gran turismo was based of the real thing

reliablejunkie
Z Club Member

Post by reliablejunkie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:26 pm

There is a lot of too much this and too much that posted. I like this car because it is unique. I don't post in our spotted threads when I see a 350z because each and every one I have spotted looks the same as each other and there is no way for me to express how awesome that 350z was. I say go for it and appreciate the uniqueness of the vehicle, many others will appreciate it too. Maybe it is just the young generation in me like 'the who' once sung about :D
Someone had to make up for all the pollutants these hybrid cars are saving these days, so i cranked up the fuel pressure and let the engine roar.

1983 280ZX L20ET engine with an N42 head running on megasquirt ECU

gman40

Post by gman40 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Well said Tristan. I carn't get into 350zeds but i do like this one.

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Bit of a pity they forgot to make it faster (well they did a little big of extra HP - nearly 400 over stock 350PS), the weight reduction claim however suprises me. At 1500kg the stock 380RS is a little porky but without touching the interior or the glass they lost 130kg just going to CF hood/roof/boot while adding FPR over fenders, bigger wing and a few other things. Me wonders if they may have been a bit optomistic in their estimates.

I think my CF bonnet saved like 10kg over ali and the CF targa tops maybe 20-30 and they replaced glass not aluminium. So 130kg is optomistic even if the parts were steel, but I doubt that.

Another thought re the CF roof is that it was designed as a high stress/support area and replacing it could be problematic.

Because of the use of high-grip tires and the high entry forces encountered, the body has been reinforced in several locations, increasing total body rigidity. This includes increased areas of welding at the areas which will experience high levels of stress, such as the front pillar and roof junction area . A reinforced bar was added to the front end , and a reinforced panel added to the rear tower .
But still a rare car and those one-off high profile Japanese tuner cars hold their value well if the modifications are retained/maintained. Sadly they often get re-modified to be unrecognisable. You might want to find/source the original wheels and check the other mods are still there.

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:54 am

mikec(nz) wrote:I think my CF bonnet saved like 10kg over ali
factory one only weighs 9kg apparently, don't think you saved more than 2-3kg

that 380RS does look much better with wheels that fit right

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:11 pm

DRFTIN wrote:
mikec(nz) wrote:I think my CF bonnet saved like 10kg over ali

that 380RS does look much better with wheels that fit right
Stock bonnet, which I'm presuming is same or similar weight to the 350 aluminium bonnet, weighs very little. When I got my new bonnet, was super surprised how incredibly light the stock bonnet is. Sorry I didn't weigh it. But I do still have the old one. It completely surprised the car painter too at the tiny weight of the stock bonnet.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:38 pm

By the way I was referring to a 300ZX bonnet but still I thought Bol&%$ks that can't be right. So I got out the scales and blow me down Driftin is pretty close.

Wow stock is 9kg (well actually 9.3kg) but my CF one is 4.2kg so I did save 5.1kg. At $ per weight saving that was horrendous, I should have just gone on a diet.

The CF targa tops - Stock is 6.0kg and the CF ones weight 3.4, so I saved 2.6kg x 2 = 5.2kg.

So all that CF saved a grand total of just over 10kg - works out around $300 per kg saved. Hmmm another $234,000 and my car will be as light as a F1 car :)

So I got to wonder how they saved 130kg?

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:01 pm

mikec(nz) wrote:
By the way I was referring to a 300ZX bonnet but still I thought Bol&%$ks that can't be right. So I got out the scales and blow me down Driftin is pretty close.

Wow stock is 9kg (well actually 9.3kg) but my CF one is 4.2kg so I did save 5.1kg. At $ per weight saving that was horrendous, I should have just gone on a diet.

The CF targa tops - Stock is 6.0kg and the CF ones weight 3.4, so I saved 2.6kg x 2 = 5.2kg.

So all that CF saved a grand total of just over 10kg - works out around $300 per kg saved. Hmmm another $234,000 and my car will be as light as a F1 car :)

So I got to wonder how they saved 130kg?
They must have found the weight somewhere, Mike how much weight saving in getting rid of the electric seat, those suckers are heavy!
It's an interesting car non the less
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:16 pm

My Stock street Zed 2+0 hardtop with no weight reduction is 1507kg no driver 1/2 tank of gas

The Red Zed 2+0 Targa top with bugger all interior, super light weight carbon fibre (haha) but with a heavy roll cage is 1414kg no driver full tank of gas (weighed before the carbon fibre so probably now 1404kg

The Silver Zed 2+2 hardtop (roof swap done) with chromoly roll cage - nothing inside, gutted doors, no glass (lexan other than windscreen) and acid dipped is 1256kg.

Shows glass, doors and interior is where the weight is. So even with a full strip out and assuming the cage weights around 50kg that saved 300kg. So I say cough cough bull*&^t on their weight saving claim. They would be lucky to do 30kg not 300kg.

Swindell

Post by Swindell » Wed May 31, 2017 9:51 pm

kirihi wrote:Yep, too much body kit for my liking! Each to their own though... ;-)
I think the body kit looks pretty cool. Especially if you put a good wrap on it.
Last edited by Swindell on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.