So.. whats' a 240z worth?

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
RS13

So.. whats' a 240z worth?

Post by RS13 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a 240z (or two! lol) off a friend of mine who has pulled the pin on the restoration job. The one I'm interested in is a '73, auto, complete but not a runner (no idea why apparently, just won't fire), bad paint and rusty front guards but comes with good used ones, reg on hold and comes with spare diff, pedal box, "B" gearbox and a roof to replace the non-original sunroof installed. The other is a manual '72 runner with extensive repairs done.. new sills, chassis rails, floors.. but otherwise in pieces, still needs some rust work done, reg on hold.

What is a fair value for each of these cars? I'd like to get some knowledgeable opinions from you guys before committing, he has told me what he wants but I want to make sure I'm not paying too much.. might get both if they're worth it. I'd say they'd both still need a fair bit of rust work and the interiors need replacing as well.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Can be difficult to gauge, a good running car would be around the $30k mark
Based on your discription they could be worth 15 or 20k each
I am assuming that they are both NZ new cars and not imports from the US eg left hand drive
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

RS13

Post by RS13 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks for the reply mate. They're both RHD, the manual one 5spd so I don't think would be a US import?

As they rarely come up for sale (I saw the yellow one at a caryard here in Chch sold to Malaysia, although unsure what they were asking?), can you or anyone recall what they've seen them sell for recently? I seem to recollect a tidy rolling body on TM a few weeks back, I think asking was around $10k?

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:31 pm

Given that Roman's 240Z race car sold on TradeMe the other day for $39K and that road cars typically sell for more than race cars, a nice 240Z road car has to be worth more than $40K these days. If you search Ebay in Australia or the USA, the majority of nice condition 240Zs would be at least $40K landed in NZ. There are lots of earlier posts on the forum about how much it costs to do a quality restoration so in my opinion a car that needs panel, paint and re-assembly has to max out at $15k or else you might as well save yourself the effort and buy one already done. Unless of course you enjoy/are capable of doing a lot of the work yourself and need to drip feed the money tree! Having done it twice, it is really easy to spend $20K plus.

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:37 pm

There was a 'barn find' / storage one sold for $32k old race car down in christchurch or something, and then another sold for $23k or around that sometime towards the end of last year.

If you look at japanese prices the prices are skyrocketing even for highly modified ones. I can recall seeing rb25 and rb26 swapped ones listed for 60k plus NZD

As Mike has said restoration cost a lot, you can bring the cost down by doing the work yourself but it still going to cost lots..

Buy both and park one of them for later and repair one and drive it round :) When it comes time spend the cash and rebuild the second and the prices should have gone up even more than they have in the last few years

RS13

Post by RS13 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Oh wow, thanks for that.. definitely worth considering taking them both for what he's asking. Would it be fair to say that the manual is slightly more desirable than the auto? I was considering converting the auto to manual or would this be sacrilege?

Looking around for aftermarket chassis parts/panels I've come across the likes of "thezstore", has anyone here sourced panels through these guys or could suggest somewhere a bit closer to home?

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:53 am

I don't see any problem swapping out the auto. Through the committee we have heard to some of the parts suppliers that list parts but when it comes time to order they don't actually have them. My suggestion is that if you want parts contact Silver on this forum as he brings bits in from time time and seems happy to help others bring parts in as well. Buy something now as the collect-ability is only improving as these cars are coming of age. I can see the values of these cars getting better in the future and there is only a limited stock of cars around.
Bernie Kant
Club President

RS13

Post by RS13 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Yeah. I'm committed to buying the auto one at least, depending on permission from head office will probably buy the other as well plus all spares.

Thanks for the responses guys, will update with pics when I can.

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:48 pm

So did you buy them?