Off the shelf or built headers

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
beeto

Off the shelf or built headers

Post by beeto » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:09 pm

I am looking at ordering the 6-1 MSA thermal coated header for my L28. But before i order them thought i would check for opinions/wether it is worthwhile to just get a set made here in nz?

Cheers!

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:50 pm

IMHO those MSA headers look like a decent option for what you pay for them. The thing with headers and exhaust systems is theres actually a fair amount of math and measurement to design a system to properly supplement any particular engine. If you have a fairly standard engine and you're not after what i refer to as "race gains" then any off the shelf header is going to be fine and they'll all give you almost identical power figures. If you've got a ported head or had a cam fitted then you will benefit from a custom built exhaust. Power on an NA L series is all about flow after all.
***** Drive it like you stole it *****

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Second that Moddy !

Just check they are suitable for RHD if from MSA or similar

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:35 am

Hi the MSA header is a good design and works well. I personally used it for years. However unless you can order a set with 1 5/8 primaries ( mine were 1 3/4) i would consider a different brand. Unless your engine is of huge HP ie over 60 HP per cylinder or turning past 8K on a regular basis you will find the smaller primary pipe will provide you greater torque and power over a much wider rev range. I did a lot of theory and dyno testing and only lost 2.5 RWHP at 7000 RPM peak power by going to a smaller primary pipe. ( could this be repeated on a different day ???) The extra mid range torque however made up for this in spades.
Have a look at the headers made by Stewart Wilkins Motorsport in Australia. They are reasonably good. They are what i am currently using though in extensively modified form. Ie i may as well started from scratch.

240z
Z Club Member

Post by 240z » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 am

I had a set built by Custom Chambers in Auckland last year nice job and fitted the car well would recommend, he has a jig for building so doesn't need the car.