L26 gearbox

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
stanlonng

L26 gearbox

Post by stanlonng » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi all,

looking at sorting out the gearbox on the 260 over summer. It has a really bad crunch going into 3rd and starting to crunch into other gears too. even happens if you double clutch too so im a bit puzzled..

Im 90% sure that the bushing on the shiftier is worn out as there is heaps of play in the gear stick, even when it is in gear so ill replace that soon as its a $10 part. But I think the real issue is probably more likely the dogs/ synchro's?
(correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyone know how difficult it would be for me to replace them at home? or should I take the box to a refurbisher? would much rather do it myself but dont want the car to be undriveable for too long seeing as there seems to be plenty of meets and cruises coming up.

Alternatively. would it possibly be cheaper/better/easier to swap in a gearbox out of something like an RB/ SR20? anyone know whats involved?

Cheers, Stan

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Stan, great project for a DIY, but there a heaps of reco guys around and it will cost between $600 and $1500 depending on damage. It's your synchros more than likely if your clutch is disengaging ok. You can buy complete kits for your box on eBay or Midwest Transmissions in the good ole USA. You will need a good vice and normal workshop tools plus a super deep socket for the nut on the output shaft. The most critical part is the end float measured at the front bearings. Replacing your box with a later model Skyline, Cefiro or Silvia box is a good idea, there are lotsa howtos around, including this forum, the main problem will be that any box you buy unless it is sold as rebuilt will probably have issues also but at least you will get an improved gear change with the later model boxes. Expect to pay $400 to $800 for a used later model C type box without a guarantee, add a reco in for good measure and you'll be up to $2000 in no time. DIY you may get away with as little as $250 in parts if you stay with the older box.

stanlonng

Post by stanlonng » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:12 pm

Cheers Andy,
Might order a reconditioning kit from the states and give it a crack.
Will you be at the Xmas hard park/meet?would be keen to have a chat

Cheers, Stan