Restoration of 280zx

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
J-Ballard

Restoration of 280zx

Post by J-Ballard » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi there,

there is currently a 280zx listed on trade me. (i can't post links cos I'm new here) however, it needs quite a bit of attention and was wondering how much it would cost to fix up into a nice tidy car. Could anyone help?

Cheers,
Jack

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:49 am

Hi Jack. Most will likely say something like “Skys the limit.â€￾
But unfortunately itll be far more than resale price/appreciation. However that said such logic never stopped me from excessively lavishing Zs or other cars.
If you are mechanically inclined or enjoy the idea of a project car all could go well. But If youre on a budget and rust is an issue then need anyone make comment as to the depth of a moneypit?
The earlier models tend to be the more sought after or deemed restorable worthy or rather the 280zx has very few reproduction or NOS parts available to aid an original restoration compared with the other varients. A bit of ingenuity maybe required. And there is always club support irregardless of my preconceived notions.
Last edited by ZILVER on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

djz

Post by djz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:53 am

If you are talking about this one it's actually a Fairlady Z rather than a 280ZX so it would have originally had a 2L engine it in, I can't quite tell what it has in it now.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1191975518

It's hard to tell exactly how bad it is, somebody has obviously done quite a bit of work to it. If it's not too rusty and just needs the body work finished and painted then maybe $5k, depending on the level of paint job of course, the sky is the limit.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Yep depends on what you want of the car. Thats a 4 seater not as sort after as the 2 seater. As yet those Z's don't have a lot of value. The 240 and 260 are now starting to gain a bit of value, With a top class restoration the sky is the limit. $60,000-00+ is not unheard of. If you are not mechanical,don't buy that car, buy something that has had work done to it, and all you will need is to maintain it. Will cost you more. But in the long run would be a lot cheaper. If you are a good handyman in the automotive side of things and have some good body, and mechanical skills you could do it on a shoestring, depending of what you want the finished product to look like. Check out the engine. A lot of them had 2.0L engines. Not good.
Bernie Kant
Club President

marrow

Post by marrow » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:08 pm

I'm still hoping some good samaritan on the forums will buy it and part it out otherwise. I was tempted to get it, but its hard to tell what condition the body is in