Supercharge or Turbo

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
Wzstoy

Supercharge or Turbo

Post by Wzstoy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:03 am

This appears to be a contentious topic however I'm keen to get users views on SC or TT for my 370. I had a TT supra a few years back but was a bit turned off by the lag, ceramic blades gave way mid boost once as well and had to be sourced from Japan which took 6 weeks so not keen on that either.

I understand SC to be a smoother linear ramp up of powerband and I'm given to understand that the GTM kit is more versatile that the Stillen but this is all based on keyboard research.

I'm keen to hear users reviews & recommendations as well as find out who would be recommended to carry out the conversion.

Cheers
Warren

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:08 pm

turbo setups can be very responsive with the right turbo selection, don't go for a massive size like i'm guessing the supra had

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:36 pm

Turbo tech has developed somewhat since the supra glory days Though the 370z has supercharger kits that drop in. Id be looking at that / best fit / proven. Stillen kit is Nissan approved

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:49 pm

Vortech Supercharges have been hugely popular for the FI 350z guys, most are running 400+whp easily enough. Haven't looked in to 370Zs personally but i'd give Vortech a squiz. Good luck!
2005 350Z ST money pit.

AndyR1

Post by AndyR1 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:17 pm

It depends how much power you actually want and what you want to do with the car since every 400hp all-wheel-drive car easily let's you behind even you have 600hp - just saying.
For Autobahn races from 100 to 300 you are in the wrong country and then a TT would be advantageous.
I would go with Stillen SC - brings you up to 4.3s 0-100kph which is ok...too much power at up to 100kph only will gives you also a lot of heat issues you need to solve too which means a different bumper etc....

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:38 pm

I was under the impression he just wanted a fun road car. The Vortech kits are on average 400-450whp which is more than enough to blitz most cars on the road, minus FI V8s with double the displacement (tuned AMG/VF GTS). My friends Cammed 6speed VE ute is crazy at 464whp and weighs a lot more than our chassis, it lights up at 160kmh if the roads duey. IMO that's about as much power as you'd need for road use. Also Vortech kits are more widely used in the US, they don't seem very fond of the stillen, I think it's because it's not as easily upgradable?
2005 350Z ST money pit.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Also AWD is only faster from a standing start. From any sort of roll AWD loose more power through the drivetrain. Saying 400hp AWD always beats 600hp RWD is far from accurate.
2005 350Z ST money pit.

AndyR1

Post by AndyR1 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:39 pm

Luxo wrote:Also AWD is only faster from a standing start. From any sort of roll AWD loose more power through the drivetrain. Saying 400hp AWD always beats 600hp RWD is far from accurate.
I didn't say ALWAYS :roll: That is far from accurate too :lol:

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Stillen and the like have gone the SC route due to the emissions regs in the US market
So just because the big names are are doing SC doesn't mean that it is the best
SC should give better power at lower rpm, but the SC does use hp to drive
The SC should give consist predictable hp and torque
Good luck with your decision :D
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 pm

Here's why I'm in love with the Vortech.. Note It's a 670hp built motor. Guy destroys the new supercharged Vettes on track, umong many other cars lol.

https://www.facebook.com/Jfranco123/vid ... 854994136/

Hopefully link works. The sound is Incredible!
2005 350Z ST money pit.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Here's another In case it didn't. Same car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... PlDmRAkbAY
2005 350Z ST money pit.

djz

Post by djz » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:46 pm

Can you buy the Vortech kit without the fuel management upgrades and ignition control computer? If I was spending basically the price of a 350Z on upgrades I'd want more than ~125 extra horsepower in return.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:55 am

Yeah you can. Though the full kit I've priced at just over 5k US which comes with everything you need, including a base tune so the car can be run straight away (of course a re-map is highly recommended and licence is included in cost). Installing may be pricey but I have a very good mechanic at work that's already installed a bunch of Vortechs, says they're an extremely simple bolt on kit as they're belt driven.

Most VQ35DE's sit around 265-275whp stock, FI is really the best $/hp as we could spend $500+ on CAI, another $500+ on the plenum, $1500 on full exhaust then $1000 on a tune to see maybe 25whp.

Being factory NA makes for a great reliable platform but it's super limiting power wise as Nissan has done well at squeezing everything out.

*note this is all based on a 350Z VQ35DE not 370Z. Prices are undoubtedly more for the VQ37VHR, I know they're more for the VQ35HR.
2005 350Z ST money pit.

djz

Post by djz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:21 pm

Don't know if any of you guys watch Mighty Car Mods but they've been doing a supercharger vs. turbocharger build at the moment - the dyno testing video came out over the last couple of days, quite an interesting watch.

For me it would be turbo rather than supercharger and probably just one of them, I know an unopened basically stock VQ30DET will make 500rwhp with a single GT3582R, a VQ35 or VQ37 should be able to get to that as well, it's a lot of power for a road car.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:07 pm

Money aside turbo would be my pick too, sadly the VQ35DE can't handle much over 400hp - 450hp without being built, VQ35HR will handle 600hp for a limited time if the tuner is very good. Hence the cheaper option of supercharging plus a big wastegate to 400hp would be my pick.

The VQ35HR and VQ37VHR are MUCH more expensive to use forced induction. One bonus of the DE hah.
2005 350Z ST money pit.