Thinking about 240z from Auz. Any advice?

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
havanother

Mmm. I suspected as much.

Post by havanother » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:26 am

I think you're right Limezed, and others who said much the same thing about US cars. What you save on finding a 'bargain' priced car you'll spend on getting the thing on the road here. And all the numbers will pale in comparison to a decent resto. 15k for panel and paint. Wow. I had hoped about 6 or 7 for paint but I'd say you're closer to reality esp with that beaten front quarter. I think the rust is just surface, but yeah, there's always those unexpected surprises - bog and who knows what else.

Ah well. I think I'll just keep waiting and see what comes up. I was tempted by that Orange Z that's sat on Trademe for a while. It's set up for targa though with a lot of modern parts including seats and roll cage. I'd really rather have a more original one. I don't mind the engine so much, but to pay 30k then have to remove stuff and tidy - it's back to 40k. I guess there's no escaping the fact that that's what they're going for these days.

My (a long way behind) 2nd choice is starting to look like an option - a Triumph GT6. They tend to go for around 15k in good nick. But yeah, it'd never be a Z :(

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 am

I too couldn't get over the RHD vs LHD. In the end I bought the Fairlady Z rolling shell with some replacement panels for $7000 with the vision to basically do a full rotisserie resto-mod. I'm not expecting much change out of $60k to be perfectly honest. I just wanted a Z so bad after 4-5 years of talking about them, I said screw it and just spent money.

At the end of the day, the passion and desire of having a Z outweighs the financial cost, which may seem a lot when you consider the total, but when budgeted annually, may (or may not depending on your finances) be quite manageable, if you have a clear plan in place.

Also, Z's are appreciating, you aren't going to lose money either way.

merlin

Post by merlin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:57 pm

60K for a top quality resto? These days that would be the bare minimum. I spent way more than that 10 yrs ago but I suppose my car was rough to start with. Anyway I will never sell so I'm not worried how much I have spent on it. If you plan to keep it, do it once and do it right.

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:10 pm

Merlin, I didn't say top quality resto :) It's a figure that I have in mind that I am comfortable with at this stage, especially as I will be doing the majority of wrenching myself. Panel and paint will be outsourced, but it's a project, so will expect the costs to be higher if I bother to total the final cost. And yes, I have high expectation levels, but you don't know what my experience and skill levels are, so understandably you would be cautious in what I can achieve and my estimates. It's all good, I appreciate your feedback nonetheless :)

240znz

Post by 240znz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:28 am

Ask the seller for some pics of the doglegs, floors and sills. The really bad fitting dash cap is hiding a stuffed dash which will be $1000 plus to recover properly.

For those of us who have or are still rebuilding S30's from the state of that 260z to rebuilt/restored, $40K is not enough, unless you are a panel beater / painter / mechanic or rob banks.
Zed NOT Zee

12/70 HS30-00352
1973 240Z rust car

merlin

Post by merlin » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:00 am

"Quality" is such a subjective word to many. My idea of a "quality" job and others idea are sometimes like night and day.
I did all the mechs myself striped the car and reassembled. Panel and paint was done by the pros. Don't think that using a mig welder on panel steel is a "good" job.
You will be surprised how fast the wallet empties along the build even if you do a lot yourself as I did.

havanother

Post by havanother » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:54 pm

Hello again, the seller is offering me the 2 seater 260z pictured earlier in this thread for $5,000 now. It's about 4 hours drive from Melbourne. He's also including a donor car that apparently has a good engine - but little else of use as it's been outside in the weather. This one is "road worthy" ie drivable. I might just make it to the port in Melbourne. Or I guess I could have it trucked.

Is it still the general consensus that it's not worth the time and effort to get it to NZ?

Anyone else interested?

Or do you know someone in Auz that might be keen? Without the shipping hassle/cost it'd surely be worth $5k to someone?

Nick

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:16 pm

RHD...
And vehicle importation information: http://mpi.govt.nz/importing/other/vehi ... machinery/
Don't forget the MPI biosecurity clearance. Pays to get it fumigated prior to being put on the ship (check with broker or MPI)

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:58 pm

havanother wrote:Hello again, the seller is offering me the 2 seater 260z pictured earlier in this thread for $5,000 now. It's about 4 hours drive from Melbourne. He's also including a donor car that apparently has a good engine - but little else of use as it's been outside in the weather. This one is "road worthy" ie drivable. I might just make it to the port in Melbourne. Or I guess I could have it trucked.

Is it still the general consensus that it's not worth the time and effort to get it to NZ?

Anyone else interested?

Or do you know someone in Auz that might be keen? Without the shipping hassle/cost it'd surely be worth $5k to someone?

Nick
If you look on that car landed as being under $9,000 you're still doing "ok", forget the other vehicle unless the seller wants to strap the engine dry into the boot and gearbox in the passenger footwell. I would say its an "ok" deal as project S30's get absorbed in NZ they are not getting any cheaper. If it dropped to $3000 you should not hesitate.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:58 am

i've had recent quotes for $2400 NZD ish for shipping AUS to NZ.
Seems ridiculous when compared to $1900 ish to get a car from the USA but......

would make that 260 a great prospect option. about $8k!!! bargain.
1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:15 pm

badhabit wrote:i've had recent quotes for $2400 NZD ish
emphasis on ish, yer got some GST, some other ticket clips on the way plus transport to port in Australia.