A Z is winning ..........

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
mungyz

A Z is winning ..........

Post by mungyz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:27 pm

So the blue Z32 & I have been chipping away at Superlap in street RWD class, So far things are going well :)

http://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhoo ... ing-series

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:31 pm

Nice one Glenn. Well done for the kiwi spirit and making a trailer so you could Blue Z to the event.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:11 pm

Good one Glenn, we should open a forum for race results as we dont always hear of Z success.

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks guys :)

One forum I'm on has a motor sport section for anything motor sport related, talking wheel alignment settings, tyre choices and pressures etc.

There are some clued up guys on here who would no doubt be happy to share what they know with others keen to learn/pillage free information.

The trailer was built not for fear of the car not making it there and back but because I really struggle to drive long distances at 100kph, the Z has no air conditioning & this just makes it hard work, I very nearly just got the AC working in the Z but figured the ute is more relaxing to drive - even if I then had to do 90kph instead ha ha ha!!

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Sun May 15, 2016 8:02 pm

So to update/ wrap this thread up:

We had the last round last weekend, was a bit tough on the mind and the body with very very long delays between sessions on the track.
Two sessions of approx 5 laps on Sat at either end of the day and just one session Sunday morning and then the top ten shoot out late Sunday arvo.

There is a good hint there - I did make it into the top ten overall, two cars did break & I was number 11 on the list but no mater at least I got another crack at trying to lower my PB.

So the times went a bit like this:

Sat morning brand new wheels and tyres I had not run on, first lap or two like driving on oil, started to come good towards the end, ran a 1.16.2

Sat arvo I had lowered the tyre pressures a touch and changed the angle of the rear wing - went 0.5 sec slower. So the changes were apparently a bad move and the day was done.

Sunday morning, very early start at the shop to make a couple of changes including putting tyre pressures back to where I started & adjusting the wing for less down force.
Smashed out a PB (recorded PB that is) of 1.15.7

Around five PM Sunday we headed out for the top ten shoot out, leaving the pits to warm up, cross the start line and you're on you flying lap.
The problem with this is you have no chance to sight turn one, hitting this at ~230kph in a car that's had less than a lap to warm up on a track that had apparently lost a significant amount of grip resulted in a pretty hectic trip around turn one & perhaps the first grass gymkhana section in the top ten shoot out.
Regardless I still managed a 1.16.2 including going to the left of the ripple strip rather than the right :lol:

So how did this effect the plan for the weekend?

Goals were:
Beat black Supra - done
Beat black R34 GTR - fail
Take away street RWD trophy - done
Take away street King - fail but a very close second & who knows that lap I butchered could have been the one.

Will try for street King next season :D

At least a Z stamped its mark in the record books for NZ Superlap :D

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon May 16, 2016 4:06 pm

Sounds like a successful run to me, well done!