Half Shafts

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
srf

Post by srf » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:44 pm

So you gonna try for.

r180>S15 Side axles>(some sort of CV+ adaptor)>300zxt 4 bolt flange>280z/260z stub?

How about r31/z31na stub?

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:47 pm

srf wrote:So you gonna try for.

r180>S15 Side axles>(some sort of CV+ adaptor)>300zxt 4 bolt flange>280z/260z stub?

How about r31/z31na stub?
Yep pretty much, although hopefully wont need a CV adapter.

I didn't know r31/z31na stub was an option?! Might be easier than finding 280z stubs. I'll do some reading! Thanks

srf

Post by srf » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:58 pm

What Cvs you gonna run.

I would think the distance between both flanges would mean custom?

Ricky
Z Club Member

Post by Ricky » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:21 pm

I don't have any trouble with my R200 and CV half shafts but breaking the weld on the stub axle is a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDj0x9MLRX4

Cheers
Ricky

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:22 pm

srf wrote:What Cvs you gonna run.

I would think the distance between both flanges would mean custom?
Well since the side axles I have with the diff are 3x2 and then if I get a 4x1 companion flange I could use the same as Mike used here http://zclub.nz/viewtopic.php?t=1025&highlight=cvs

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:26 pm

These are the axles that came with the diff. I'm not actually sure what they're from, I think he may have said S14 and they were custom made shortened axles.

Anyhoo, I measured the axle without the CV's and it's 332mm so pretty short. I could even make an adapter like this and call it a day:

In fact a few months ago I CAD'd one up so wouldn't even take much work. Will confirm it'll be short enough and go from there.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:21 pm

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Ricky wrote:I don't have any trouble with my R200 and CV half shafts but breaking the weld on the stub axle is a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDj0x9MLRX4

Cheers
Ricky
Oh yikes! Never seen that before. What about these? Expensive thou.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/stub-axles.html

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:55 pm

OK. Well that opened a can of worms. This is my opinion for what its worth, but firstly a bit of background. In its current spec my race car is 304HP at the rear wheels and 268Ftlb of torque and runs a locked diff and any tire combination up to 260 wide slicks. It is fair to say I don't drive it gently.
I have broken 1 or 20 plus CVs, 1 stub axle ( 240Z size) but never a stub axle flange or half shaft its self.
The combination I use as far as I am aware is the strongest combination of standard Nissan parts available at the time that would fit in my 260Z
I have an R200 diff ( well 5 of them regularly used) ratios from 3.7 to 4.6.
The CVs and half shafts are from a Z31 Turbo. These plug straight into the 28 spline R200 Diff. The inner splined stubs are different lengths side to side depending on the ratio of the diff. The half shafts are different lengths side to side also.
In my case we used the short half shafts on both sides to prevent bottoming as was mention in a previous post.
The outer is mated to a totally custom made and splined companion flange. I use 260/280s stub axles and have had no issues. These are slightly bigger in diameter than the 240z ones.
This setup works well, and has proven its ultimate strength on far high horsepower applications than mine.
However myself and a friend have busted loads of these. The main cause being lubrication failure. Ie the boots split all the grease falls out and about 1 lap later all the balls and the CV cage follows suit.
The genuine Nissan boots last about 20 times longer than the after market boots due to the fact they have one less convolution in them reducing they amount the convolutions rub together.
The other major problem is that these CVs are now very hard to get.

The answer.
I am currently building a kit comprising a threaded flange that will be pressed and welded internally onto my modified Z31 CV inners to plug into the R200 diff. Onto this will be indexed an alloy spacer and a 108mm Porsche Style chrome moly racing CV C/W high speed boot. The outer will be the same adapted to me existing companion flange.
This setup reduces the amount of rotating mass to a minimum and is simplistic. There is not a nut in sight
I will keep you informed.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:18 am

Baker93 wrote:But firstly a bit of background. In its current spec my race car is 304HP at the rear wheels and 268Ftlb of torque and runs a locked diff and any tire combination up to 260 wide slicks. It is fair to say I don't drive it gently.
I'm getting up there but not as grunty. Mine is a factory VQ35 which has around 287HP & 260-odd ftlb, at the flywheel I assume.
Baker93 wrote:I have broken 1 or 20 plus CVs, 1 stub axle ( 240Z size) but never a stub axle flange or half shaft its self.
Oh yikes, that must get tiresome! So are you breaking the inner or outer CV's more often? Only things I've broken are the stock 240z axle and twisted those Wolf Creek side-axles. But mine isn't a race car and I'm definitely not driving it as hard as you.
Baker93 wrote:The other major problem is that these CVs are now very hard to get.
Yeah, I'm gonna avoid Z31 CVs for that reason.
Baker93 wrote:I am currently building a kit comprising a threaded flange that will be pressed and welded internally onto my modified Z31 CV inners to plug into the R200 diff. Onto this will be indexed an alloy spacer and a 108mm Porsche Style chrome moly racing CV C/W high speed boot. The outer will be the same adapted to me existing companion flange.
This setup reduces the amount of rotating mass to a minimum and is simplistic. There is not a nut in sight
I will keep you informed.
Awesome, sounds good. Keen to see how you get on. Since I'm running the r180 a lot of it wont be applicable to me thou.

The setup I think I'm gonna run has a Nissan 3x2 tripod CV for the inner and a Porsche style one for the outer. I'm nervous the tripod ones aren't as strong but I don't really know that for certain, seems like a lot of OEMs run tripods on the inside.

The setup will be all OEM parts except for an aftermarket adapter for the outer CV to Datsun companion flange. The side axles, CVs and shafts will be all pretty common in New Zealand. And I'll not have to replace my twisted side-axles with another pair.

And if in future I get my hands on the stronger 280z stub axles & companion flange I can still use the same setup, or there's an aftermarket companion flange that'll bolt straight up to the Porsche CV so I can ditch the adapter if I wanted.

djz

Post by djz » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:28 am

mikey wrote:And if in future I get my hands on the stronger 280z stub axles & companion flange I can still use the same setup, or there's an aftermarket companion flange that'll bolt straight up to the Porsche CV so I can ditch the adapter if I wanted.
If you want to stay 4 stud you might want to look at DR30/HR31/Z31 stub axles, the shafts are tapered and are much beefier at the hub end, they run two different sized wheel bearings.

You can buy pretty much all the bits to do the Porsche CV conversion from here, they're spendy though.

https://zcardepot.com/driveline/rear-ax ... acing.html

These guys also have some bits and pieces too.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-ax ... mm-flanges
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:34 am

djz wrote:
If you want to stay 4 stud you might want to look at DR30/HR31/Z31 stub axles, the shafts are tapered and are much beefier at the hub end, they run two different sized wheel bearings.
What is involved in fitting z31 stub axles into a 260/280? Is it a case of just different different bearings? Have you done it before mate?

djz

Post by djz » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:39 am

A280Z wrote:What is involved in fitting z31 stub axles into a 260/280? Is it a case of just different different bearings? Have you done it before mate?
Not on an S30, only on S130s and R30s. They have a bigger spline as well so you have to run different companion flanges and axles. I'm running Z31 turbo 5 stud stub axles, companion flanges and axles on my car, haven't broken anything yet but I don't drop clutch from a stand still very often.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:46 am

djz wrote:You can buy pretty much all the bits to do the Porsche CV conversion from here, they're spendy though.

https://zcardepot.com/driveline/rear-ax ... acing.html
Oh nice one. I hadn't come across that particular one. Do you know if these are for the same 930 CV bolt pattern?

http://whiteheadperformance.com/product ... 260z-280z/

I think I may buy some 27 spline 280Z axles off ebay and then those companion flanges then it should just be junk-yard shopping.

djz

Post by djz » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:31 pm

mikey wrote:Oh nice one. I hadn't come across that particular one. Do you know if these are for the same 930 CV bolt pattern?

http://whiteheadperformance.com/product ... 260z-280z/

I think I may buy some 27 spline 280Z axles off ebay and then those companion flanges then it should just be junk-yard shopping.
They are to fit R230 CVs, I'd be surprised if the bolt pattern was the same as the Porsche ones, but maybe!