DeeCee's S31 Fairlady

New to the site? Say hello here!
DeeCee

DeeCee's S31 Fairlady

Post by DeeCee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm David and I am now the owner of the S31 Fairlady Z project which was advertised on Trademe recently:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =979689256

I joined the forum a number of years ago as I have been interested in the S30 chassis for a long time now, and while other opportunities to own a classic Z have come and gone, I decided this time around that I wouldn't miss out.
I figure that when you have an opportunity to chase a dream, then why not go for it.

As I had secured the car, I finally made the trip from Wellington to Auckland with my best friend Richard over the weekend to collect the car and some other parts which I also purchased off Kingsley.

First pic of me and my new Z

Arriving to pick up the vehicle, I was greeted with the rear end of another Z for repair purposes. I guess this is what happens when you buy sight unseen.
The car from the TM pics looks relatively clean with straight panels and some visible rust. In conversation with Kingsley about rust noted usual problem areas, but the actual rust issue is more than I had expected, but not entirely unexpected either. Hey, Kingsley called it true in the auction: 'If what you see in the photos isn't you then don't waste my time'.

Anyway after getting the car on the trailer and negotiating some other parts he had for sale, we made our way back down to Wellington.
Went through lots of fuel, took a while to travel down, but was a good journey nonetheless as we got back safely and without issue.

On the journey back

So what are my plans you may ask?

Well, I am on the tail end of an 8 year resto-mod of a 1990 Celica GT-Four A. This project has been the focus of my car modification endeavours with a lot of my learning and ideas being developed and taking shape with this vehicle. A lot has been learnt over the years with respect to projects and cars, and with a fair appreciation of schedules and expectations. I’ve started my planning and budget, and isn’t looking pretty from a financial perspective haha.

Initially I plan to store the Z for around 6 months as I will be finishing up some other projects and finalising the GT-Four project.

Then the hard yards will start with the Z in the shell/rust repairs before moving to engine selection, installation and start.

As the Z is well documented in terms of modifications and repair, I’ll be purchasing mostly off the shelf parts, as I don’t want to waste time ‘re-inventing’ solutions or spending excessive time doing DIY modifications. My GT-Four project has taken a lot longer as I have tried to find ‘better’ solutions or parts which have fitted my budget / income so this time around, I’m not going to bother being overly cheap about modifying a car.

Also, this project will be well planned with many parts/components considered up front, prior to purchase. Once the plan is locked in, then I won’t be deviating unless absolutely necessary.

So where to next? Get the car in to storage and take a stock take of parts which came with the car. Then possibly look for various replacement panels once the shell evaluation has been done and continue to plan and save until I’m ready to start. I may do shell / rust repairs in parallel with the GT-Four as we know that this is time consuming. I will mostly outsource this work as I don’t have a heap of time to spend on learning how to do the metal work, though I am happy welding angle grinders, wielding my tig torch and creating things, so I may tackle some of the shell repair.

Finally, I’m not a purist and this car will be a resto-mod. I’m not in to bodgy repairs or solutions, so I won’t do bad bad things, but also won’t do a restoration project.
I give fair warning as I know this can always be a touchy subject.

If you have any questions or want to know some info, let me know. Happy to answer any and all questions. I don’t expect this project to be wrapped in secrets and mystery.
Hard work is ahead and I’ll be asking questions along the way as well, and most likely the first questions will be - where can I find xxx panel to repair my shell... haha

Cheers, Dave

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Good one Dave, thanks for the story, I wish you well with the project. Don't be scared to ask for advice, most of us don't bite.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Good luck with your project Dave. Maybe start a project thread, it's always fun for us watching and great looking back for the owner of the car too. To spur progress on.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks Andy. I've never been afraid to ask questions, so they'll be coming after some research of course.

I've been going over the build quite thoroughly in my mind and on the planning spreadsheet and nothing is a surprise at the mo.

Only thing I'm grappling with is where to source the panels around the rear side windows and the top corners of the rear quarter panels above the lights, as these areas are rusted through and Tabco / MSA don't sell these panels as off the shelf replacements. Guess I'm left with either sourcing from another donor car or getting some one to fabricate?

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Will start a project thread later Bronzee. My Celica project thread is never updated enough as I'm either too busy working or it's too time consuming to go through the thousands of photos I've taken and need to write about.
Some people get a bit overwhelmed on the detail and process I go through when doing my write ups. You are warned.

Anyway, it's very early days yet.. you'd most likely see some rust, parts being cleaned up or cataloged and snapshots of work/parts spreadsheets.

No work will start until the middle of next year at this stage as I have to finish up a DR30 Skyline and a Celica ST185 RC before I can work on my real Celica project in the new year.
Hmm.. my friends say I take too much on... you'd think they had some sort of evidence of this or something..

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: panels check yahoo auctions Japan there is often American 'imports' being cut up and parted out so you may be able to get donor parts from there as almost no one cuts up z's in New Zealand

And good luck with your projects

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:31 pm

Great to have another restoration project in the Wellington area - we seem to be collecting them down here.

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:12 pm

old_datto - I'll probably be checking in with you to get parts which are missing or as replacements for things which I need restore :)

jp280

Post by jp280 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Hey Dave, you'll need to have Nick take his car home so you can work on the 240 instead :D

strydah
Z Club Member

Post by strydah » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi David. Sounds exciting and challenging. Great to see another early model being saved. Looking forward to seeing your project take shape.
cheers
Steve

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:51 pm

With all of these projects appearing down the lower end of the island, maybe you lot should be doing a garage tour?!! :)
Next - Z Club events:

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:33 pm

jp280 wrote:Hey Dave, you'll need to have Nick take his car home so you can work on the 240 instead :D
Hey Jeremy, I'm hoping to get his car back to him before Christmas and take my cars back from his place!
I need to finish welding the seat frames, which are nearly done, and then move quickly on to the driveshaft loops. I'd like to get him over to mine to work on the car more, but he's a pretty busy guy at the mo. Hopefully once he has his car back at his place, he will be able to easily pop out to the garage to do some work.

How is your car coming along? Alicia said that you were getting back to working on it?
strydah wrote:Hi David. Sounds exciting and challenging. Great to see another early model being saved. Looking forward to seeing your project take shape.
cheers
Steve
Thanks. I'm looking forward to it as well, if I ever get my other projects finished up and I can invest some time in to the Z :)
BRONZEE wrote:With all of these projects appearing down the lower end of the island, maybe you lot should be doing a garage tour?!! :)
Funny you mention garage tours. As I'm the VP of the NZ GT Four Owners Club, we'll be doing a garage tour of Wellington members for our Christmas function :D

I have some time tonight to put up some pics of the Z project later, and I hope you all will be able to provide some Z guidance as I learn more about the car and its quirks

Cheers, Dave

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:48 pm

DeeCee wrote:
BRONZEE wrote:With all of these projects appearing down the lower end of the island, maybe you lot should be doing a garage tour?!! :)
Funny you mention garage tours. As I'm the VP of the NZ GT Four Owners Club, we'll be doing a garage tour of Wellington members for our Christmas function :D

I have some time tonight to put up some pics of the Z project later, and I hope you all will be able to provide some Z guidance as I learn more about the car and its quirks

Cheers, Dave
That's awesome. If you have any event ideas, by all means let either myself or your area committee rep Old_datto_fan know. 8)
Next - Z Club events:

beeto

Post by beeto » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Looking good, will be a good build to follow!

beeto

Post by beeto » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Also looks like the same guy in Auckland where i got mine from!