New 240z owner :)

New to the site? Say hello here!
beeto

New 240z owner :)

Post by beeto » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Hey,

So i have done it!

Got myself a 1972 240z. L28 with triple webers.

Looking forward to restoring it and working on it.

A couple of quick questions from you guys as im sure you have alot of knowledge in this area!
When accelerating/ taking off out of 1st into 2nds gear, the engine seems to splutter, starve, and lose power, and nearly stall. Idols fine and at low revs in 1st gear, but everywhere else doesn't want to run and trying to pinpoint what the problem could be.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Look forward to starting my build thread for those who are interested.

Cheers!
Jason
Last edited by beeto on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 pm

Hey Welcome!

Did you buy the one in Franklin that needs paint? Looked like a good base to make your own.

My car which is standard is sensitive to engine temp - it doesn't go properly until it's at full temp. With Webers it might be trickier to track down - you might need to fiddle with different sized emulsion tubes etc etc until they match the character of the block and head. I know a few guys have used Bob Homewood for this.

Look forward to the build thread.

Cheers Glenn
72 240z plus bits

DKNWSZX

Post by DKNWSZX » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Could be a number of reasons.

-Carbs could be out of tune/sync.
-The 72/3 had both a mechanical and electric fuel pump from the factory. It does not seem logical, but that's what they did. If the mechanical has failed it could be restricting the fuel flow
-Size of your carbs. 40's are a better choice for street driving. 45's are big carbs and don't do well on the street (depending upon tuning)

I reckon your carbs need a good service/tune.

My father was running triple Webbers on his Mk3 Zephyr. It was a road come light event car and after a weekend or two of 'spirited' driving it had symptoms similar to what your describing. He would give the carbs an overhaul/tune and it would be back to running fairly sweet.

The above may provide some help or maybe be completely useless. nevertheless happy tuning.

Regards
Deano
Good things are worth waiting for, but great things happen at once.

beeto

Post by beeto » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:09 pm

@nustad. / Glen

Yea thats the one, viewed it with my Brother in-law who is a panel beater and said it would be a good base to build from. Photos didnt quite do the car justice, is much better in person... just want to take it for a good drive.

beeto

Post by beeto » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:12 pm

@DKNWSZX / Deano

My thoughts as well from forum searching. Appreciate the help, and will hopefully get to the bottom of this soon.

Cheers,
Jason

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Beeto. Look forward to seeing your build thread.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:25 pm

The same from me. Good to see more people with passion for the Zeds.
Bernie Kant
Club President

beeto

Post by beeto » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Cheers guys

(Getting post qty up to upload photos)

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:19 am

So what are the plans for the car?

beeto

Post by beeto » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:03 pm

[quote="DeeCee"]So what are the plans for the car?[/quote]

To start with i want to get it on the road/usable, not a big list to start with. I have taken brakes off and are in the process of being refurbished.

Then in the new year, as winter approaches will strip it down for a full resto ready for next summer. In no rush with anything at this stage so getting it ready to enjoy for the time will make me happy!