Any recommendations for power up my 350Z?

350Z
djz

Post by djz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:38 pm

If I was spending $10k it would be a VQ30DET, standard internals, GT3582R, G4 Link, 500rwhp.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:19 pm

In terms of obtaining aftermarket parts for modding, the VQ35DE is usually the easiest to get parts for.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:01 pm

If the 350z is your dream car then sure, go for it. If you bought it because you want to go fast and want to mod it to go faster, sell it and buy something more cost effective - serious money for little gains.

In saying that though, the 350z is a great car to drive with a sports exhaust (just need It for that great VQ sound). I sold mine and got a Subaru Impreza STI - bone stock the whole "driving feel" is shit compared to my old 350.. so the 350z is still a great car to have as it is, despite its limited potential :p

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:20 pm

It's people's budgets that limit performance, not so much the car it's self. One of the other guys worked his DE, and without "cheating" as he calls it with a turbo or T or TT, he managed to make another 80hp, so it's possible. Just time and money.

To my mind concentrate on the things that keep you on the road first, the very best tyres you can lay your hands on, good suspension and better than stock brakes/pads, rotors and brake fluid. Those will make a big difference, and will provide good driving experience and feedback if you do it right. Once you've got the control sorted, then think about more power. Just my two cents.
Next - Z Club events:

LD

Post by LD » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciated it.

I have just replaced the wheels, so the next thing will be brake system and suspension first. After that I will power up the car.

I am doing research about power up the car from now cause I want to spend my money in the best way. The most thing I am worried about is that my car is already 100k km and I don't want to push it too hard.

I know that other cars can easily gain power without spending too much money but to be honest, I like my Z so I accept to spend a little bit more money even if I am just able to gain little power.

After that, the most important thing is the feeling when I drive my Z. :)

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:33 am

Firstly congratulations of reaching your goal of owning a 350z, Owing a 04 convertible myself I know you will love it. I sort of come from a different ilk, Performance is great, but there is a lot of work you should do before we make our cars go faster. We have discussed this in the club many a time. The first things you must do is your suspension and brake set up. If you want to go faster this will give you much more gain than a few engine modes. A good suspension and brake set up will give you huge gains in track performance. Come to track day and try your car out in standard attire and think of the gains you will get if you can brake later and corner faster.
We all seem to think in straight line performance, as that is where the exhilaration is, but from point to point its the handling that counts. If you don't get the handling and braking right, all the performance in the world is worthless.

When doing modes think big picture.

I wish you all the best in what ever you do, one word of warning, whatever you buy, buy wisely, there is a lot of good aftermarket stuff out there but beware there is also a lot of crap.
Bernie Kant
Club President

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:56 pm

bernjean wrote:Come to track day and try your car out in standard attire and think of the gains you will get if you can brake later and corner faster.
We all seem to think in straight line performance, as that is where the exhilaration is, but from point to point its the handling that counts. If you don't get the handling and braking right, all the performance in the world is worthless.

When doing mods think big picture.

I wish you all the best in what ever you do, one word of warning, whatever you buy, buy wisely, there is a lot of good aftermarket stuff out there but beware there is also a lot of crap.
Couldn't agree more with all of this!!!!
Next - Z Club events:

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:30 pm

BRONZEE wrote:
bernjean wrote:Come to track day and try your car out in standard attire and think of the gains you will get if you can brake later and corner faster.

When doing mods think big picture.

Couldn't agree more with all of this!!!!
same. last track day i was going 5-9sec faster a lap than another Z owner. he has had some engine mods done. at the time i had none. my breaking points though were far different to his. Brembos baby. i have em and he doesn't.

LD

Post by LD » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Oh track day sounds interesting. Do we have any post regarding to information and schedule for the Track day in the forum? I am quite new with it but really want to try with my Z.

Cheers,

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:33 am

LD wrote:Oh track day sounds interesting. Do we have any post regarding to information and schedule for the Track day in the forum? I am quite new with it but really want to try with my Z.

Cheers,
Just in the events section of the forum:

http://zclub.nz/viewtopic.php?t=4788

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:47 pm

Suspension see the guys at Autolign in Mt Welly and better than stock pads, rotors and brake fluid see the guys at Race Brakes. There are more pad options if you have Brembo's but even if you have the standard Calipers, a good slotted & vented rotor and aftermarket pad & fluid will make a huge difference, then maybe think about more power. 8)
Next - Z Club events:

LD

Post by LD » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:15 am

I did think about it and I will go for a new brake system first. I emailed Race Brakes but they only supply brakes. Do you know any good workshop and replace brakes around Auckland area?

Thanks in advance.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:58 pm

LD wrote:I did think about it and I will go for a new brake system first. I emailed Race Brakes but they only supply brakes. Do you know any good workshop and replace brakes around Auckland area?

Thanks in advance.
Give us a clue, north, east, south or west, or I'm sure if you ask Steve, James and John they'd suggest someone near to you. :wink:
Next - Z Club events:

LD

Post by LD » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:12 pm

BRONZEE wrote:
LD wrote:I did think about it and I will go for a new brake system first. I emailed Race Brakes but they only supply brakes. Do you know any good workshop and replace brakes around Auckland area?

Thanks in advance.
Give us a clue, north, east, south or west, or I'm sure if you ask Steve, James and John they'd suggest someone near to you. :wink:
I am working in the CBD and living in Remuera area so yeah, anywhere near those places should be okay for me :)

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:35 am

I just want to keep saying this because its unbelievable how quickly people fire away at upgrades on a base model Z (quite a lot if you join the oversea's forum),

If you're going to upgrade a base model Z that came with the cheap brakes/suspension/seats/ pre face lift/ non rev up motor - seriously look at selling your car and see how much more it'l cost to get the newer or atleast the old track version.

I don't mean to come across mean or condescending :p but I get a really good laugh seeing people mod their car when all they needed to do was just buy the next model up for the same price or less :roll: :lol: :!: :?: as their car + upgrades

Rev up ST (track edition with leather seats) only thing I felt needed messing with was the exhaust. Brakes with new pads and stock track suspension was perfect for me.