Any recommendations for power up my 350Z?

350Z
LD

Any recommendations for power up my 350Z?

Post by LD » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi guys,

I am thinking about adding some more hp for my Z33. Atm, I have two options:

1. Chip tunning at Torque performance
2. Change the exhaust system, replace air intake and few more small stuff.

Any recommendations about my options?

Thanks a lot.

LD

Post by LD » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:08 pm

I addition, my car has done 100k km already. It is still good enough for power up?

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:04 pm

depends on roughly how much you want to spend on it? but in reality tunings really going to do very minimal for you with no other mods done so id get exhaust just for sound alone as by itself that doesnt add much power either
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

LD

Post by LD » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Gunmetal Z wrote:depends on roughly how much you want to spend on it? but in reality tunings really going to do very minimal for you with no other mods done so id get exhaust just for sound alone as by itself that doesnt add much power either
Thanks for your reply. Ideally I want to spend around 2k for powerup. So how can I spend it in the best way (in your opinion)? :)

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:48 am

air supply. intakes & plenum spacer.
exhaust system. entire system or from catalytic converters back.
then a tune.

nice and simple really and 2 k will get you that without the tune assuming your doing the work yourself.

after the bolt ons its time to tear into the insides of the engine and go turbo / supercharger.

also dont underestimate upgrading brakes/suspension/sway bars.

if your going out on the track get rid of the damn speedcut :)

i was reading an article on a 5k bolt on tune up for the VQ35de and the VQ35HR and for both engines they recommend hitting the air supply first. have tried to find article to supply source but cant sorry.
it also has a 25k build for the VQ35HR. was something like over 500kw ATW. anyone got some spare change :twisted:

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:33 am

First of all the 2007 HR motor is the one you want, so if you can sell your car and spend an extra $2k on top of that to buy the HR then do that, better engine, better suspension better everything.

Failing that you will not gain much power "modding" this car N/A

Don't bother with an intake with a budget for $2k, "pop chargers" "CAI" or "short ram" "POD" filters do nothing. I've had the Motordyne MREV2 and spacer, i didnt feel much of a difference without a tune.

Other intake option is to get a larger diameter intake tube / MAF sensor.

A cat back exhaust will do very little by itself, what you want to do is get "test" pipes which remove the cat converters and then get a matching "cat back" exhaust, bear in mind if you choose carefully you can eliminate approx 10 - 15kgs of weight with the right aftermarket exhaust.

And before you ask i'll just recommend one now, google Motordyne ART pipes. And stay away from "topspeed" or anything else that cheap - rubbish.

If you spend a little more you should look at getting Tomei 272 Cam's, combined with the exhaust it will sound amazing.

Long story short, you have bought a car that has already reached its full potential without spending serious money to improve it

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:33 pm

ChrisP wrote:if your going out on the track get rid of the damn speedcut out
Or if you're lucky enough to have an NZ new 350, they don't have a speedcut out. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:26 pm

BRONZEE wrote:
ChrisP wrote:if your going out on the track get rid of the damn speedcut out
Or if you're lucky enough to have an NZ new 350, they don't have a speedcut out. 8)
9 days till its removed :twisted:

LD

Post by LD » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks for all the opinions guys.

I just wonder, cause my car is 2004 model so I think it should be the DE engine. Also, it has done 100.000km already. Will the car be overloaded or damaged if I power up it?

I asked St Hitec and they don't recommend doing anything. I asked Torque Performance and they said it should be okay. So I am really confused at the moment.

Btw, I just upgraded my rims to this one, will looking for a brake system in the next couple of weeks. :)
Attachments
Lightroom-1868.jpg
Lightroom-1868.jpg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Lightroom-1873.jpg
Lightroom-1873.jpg (101.53 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Lightroom-1872.jpg
Lightroom-1872.jpg (71.27 KiB) Viewed 4603 times

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:21 pm

Nope, personally I would save your money for the next car or maybe get an exhaust and leave it at that - purely for sound

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:16 pm

i understand the confusion part of what you said.
some say yes. some say no. had a lot of that when even looking at a Z. and now the upgrades.
owning my Z is a dream come true. took a lot to finally get here and now i have her shes getting more attention from me than the other pieces of crap i have owned in the past.
the power gains i will be getting will not be huge. in fact they will be tiny. and the money im spending is not massive either. but shes my Z and shes getting the love i want to give her.

i hope you enjoy your Z as much as the rest of us. give her that love and put that foot to the floor (on the track Bronzee :) ) I know i am.

those rims look nice. be better with some brembos behind them though 8)

LD

Post by LD » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:52 pm

ChrisP wrote:i understand the confusion part of what you said.
some say yes. some say no. had a lot of that when even looking at a Z. and now the upgrades.
owning my Z is a dream come true. took a lot to finally get here and now i have her shes getting more attention from me than the other pieces of crap i have owned in the past.
the power gains i will be getting will not be huge. in fact they will be tiny. and the money im spending is not massive either. but shes my Z and shes getting the love i want to give her.

i hope you enjoy your Z as much as the rest of us. give her that love and put that foot to the floor (on the track Bronzee :) ) I know i am.

those rims look nice. be better with some brembos behind them though 8)
Haha yeah exactly. Got this car is my dream as well since FF Tokyo drift lol. I love this Z and I keep wanting to make it better.

Brembo brake system is what I am looking for in the near future but yeah need to save some money first. Specially I am planning to get married later this year.

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:13 pm

OMSIN wrote:First of all the 2007 HR motor is the one you want, so if you can sell your car and spend an extra $2k on top of that to buy the HR then do that, better engine, better suspension better everything.

Failing that you will not gain much power "modding" this car N/A

Don't bother with an intake with a budget for $2k, "pop chargers" "CAI" or "short ram" "POD" filters do nothing. I've had the Motordyne MREV2 and spacer, i didnt feel much of a difference without a tune.

Other intake option is to get a larger diameter intake tube / MAF sensor.

A cat back exhaust will do very little by itself, what you want to do is get "test" pipes which remove the cat converters and then get a matching "cat back" exhaust, bear in mind if you choose carefully you can eliminate approx 10 - 15kgs of weight with the right aftermarket exhaust.

And before you ask i'll just recommend one now, google Motordyne ART pipes. And stay away from "topspeed" or anything else that cheap - rubbish.

If you spend a little more you should look at getting Tomei 272 Cam's, combined with the exhaust it will sound amazing.

Long story short, you have bought a car that has already reached its full potential without spending serious money to improve it
Man you got me all depressed reading that, as I too own a 04 Z33 with the VQ35DE engine and I aim to power it up close to 300hp.

But in saying about the 'modding' of this specific model, I read a lot of stuff from the powerful internet and watch BMI & Hot Version videos which is where most of my tuning influences come from and the tuners seem to be getting a lot of power out of the early model 350Z's.

This video for example: Yashio Factory Z33 demonstrates the early models and the VQ35DE's potential with the combination of the right internals and a tune.

Now I'm pretty sure most of those parts listed on the mods were internals comprising mostly of NISMO parts and would probably cost over 4k on the parts alone, along with the tune which would have been the difference maker of the whole package. What are you're thoughts on this example? listed to have 313ps which equates to 308.593979557749 HP

Sorry to hijack the thread :roll:

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:21 pm

for those parts listed in the video your looking on over $10,000 NZ before install..
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Gunmetal Z wrote:for those parts listed in the video your looking on over $10,000 NZ before install..
Well.. yes that's a bit over kill in parts.. And I don't think anyone with a budget would bother going that steep just to gain 20 more horse power lol, but at least there is still potential for the VQ35DE

Perhaps a different brand in internals then?