350Z 35th Anniversary Edition questions?

350Z
NISMO33

350Z 35th Anniversary Edition questions?

Post by NISMO33 » Sun May 31, 2015 3:29 pm

Hello, I have a question as to how to distinguish a genuine '35th Anniversary Edition' model compared to the normal type of the Z33. My brother has finally decided to think wise about spending on his car and decided to sell his old MX-5 that he's owned for just under a year and move on to something modern and with a lot more power. He's interested in buying his mate's car which is currently listed on Trademe: Nissan Fairlady 350z 2005

We went to view it this morning for the first time, he wanted me to test drive it so I can pick out if anything was wrong or different compared to my base 04 model. I didn't notice much except for the brake pedal feel which would bite hard after just a slight dab on the brakes. I guess it was because of the Brembos? is that how hard they bite? very impressive if so, otherwise I was thinking braided brake lines of some sort. Engine respose and pick up were similar to mine, apart from a much more louder exhaust note, I was expecting little bit more kick from the engine since this was apparently the 35th Anniversary Edition as quoted from Wikipedia which is supposed to have "320 hp (220 kW)". Unless you dyno the car, it's hard for me to tell if this is true or not.

Owner also tells us of the car having Belstein shocks from factory, he only changed out the springs to make the car sit a bit lower. It felt stiff and solid during our brief test drive, sort of the type you would feel on adjustable coil over suspension. I forgot to check out that part visualy for myself.

I am also not sold that this is anything special compared to mine as the sub woofer behind the drivers seat had been changed to an aftermarket 'Fusion' one compared to the 7 speaker Bose system that it's supposed to come with from Nissan. The head unit didn't help much also as this was changed to an aftermarket one. This car had the same tail lights, headlights, front grille and engine all except for the boot lip spoiler that was in the back which leads me to believe this is not genuinely a 35th Anniversary model (please educate me if I am wrong).

We plan on getting this car checked out with an AA inspection next week, hopefully they can tell us more about the car. Are there owners of the model that I am talking about who can help me determine if this is truly what it is said to be? Any feedback would really help us, thanks for reading.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun May 31, 2015 4:49 pm

Although it may have been built in 2005 or I'd say it was a 2004 (as it doesn't from the photos have any of the white dial marks on the 3 central low dials), it doesn't necessarily mean it's a 35th. 35th came in only 3 colours, one of the very dark shades almost gunmetal (quite rare & I can't remember the proper name of the colour), Ultra Yellow (although not all UY are 35th's), Super Black (the one without any metallic in it & the only NZ new black one is now residing in the UK with it's owner).

Redline is 7500, although I've seen a fair number that have had dials & tacho & wheels switched out. The one's into the US & some of the ones into NZ came with the 35th Anniversary plaque listing it's car number. Have a look at interior pics for differences, noting the difference in central tunnel between the seats, wrong compartments should be a sliding compartment.
http://my350z.com/forum/350z-colors/237 ... -only.html

Major clue for your bro's particular 350 to maybe be is it's a Daytona Blue, definitely not a 35th Anniversary, it also has no leather seats, all 35th had leather, it has cruise control.

Also your comment about the brake bite will most likely be different brake pads/rotors to yours, and maybe different brake fluid which you'll only find out if pushing it hard for a while.

Personally if it were me, unless you're planning to change the tyres straight away, I'd look for one that has a matching set of rubber all around, mixing tyres on a 350 isn't wise, seen it too many times and the results. Not happy endings.

Good luck to your bro, we're always happy to check things out so at least you get what you want.

ps, Also with those headlight that tinting over the top of it, you may want to see if that restricts the light output, as the original model headlights weren't that bright to start with, without covering over part of the light. Just a personal thing, and experience from having driven a lot of 350's.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:16 am

BRONZEE wrote:Although it may have been built in 2005 or I'd say it was a 2004 (as it doesn't from the photos have any of the white dial marks on the 3 central low dials), it doesn't necessarily mean it's a 35th. 35th came in only 3 colours, one of the very dark shades almost gunmetal (quite rare & I can't remember the proper name of the colour), Ultra Yellow (although not all UY are 35th's), Super Black (the one without any metallic in it & the only NZ new black one is now residing in the UK with it's owner).

Redline is 7500, although I've seen a fair number that have had dials & tacho & wheels switched out. The one's into the US & some of the ones into NZ came with the 35th Anniversary plaque listing it's car number. Have a look at interior pics for differences, noting the difference in central tunnel between the seats, wrong compartments should be a sliding compartment.
http://my350z.com/forum/350z-colors/237 ... -only.html

Major clue for your bro's particular 350 to maybe be is it's a Daytona Blue, definitely not a 35th Anniversary, it also has no leather seats, all 35th had leather, it has cruise control.

Also your comment about the brake bite will most likely be different brake pads/rotors to yours, and maybe different brake fluid which you'll only find out if pushing it hard for a while.

Personally if it were me, unless you're planning to change the tyres straight away, I'd look for one that has a matching set of rubber all around, mixing tyres on a 350 isn't wise, seen it too many times and the results. Not happy endings.

ps, Also with those headlight that tinting over the top of it, you may want to see if that restricts the light output, as the original model headlights weren't that bright to start with, without covering over part of the light. Just a personal thing, and experience from having driven a lot of 350's.
Hey thanks for the reply, glad you could point out those differences with the car. Now I just need to convince him that it really isn't what it's described to be, I honestly think he was more attracted to the fact it had the said amount of horse power as advertised and with him being unfamiliar with the car's history and different models etc. that the 350Z comes in. I'll probably show him this message hoping it will change his mind and find something else :lol:

Oh and also, the headlights, they were moded DIY style, when we opened the hood, we noticed the seal had been tampered with on the headlights. As to, they opened it up painted the inside chrome bits of the headlights and then closed/sealed it up with some black goo or sealant? Personally if it was me buying the car, that enough would have put me off.

netrover

Post by netrover » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:24 am

Agree with Bronzee. Definitely not a 35th model.

Not that the 35th's were significantly better than the Track model of the time. Just brought together the bells and whistles of the Track model plus a slightly tweaked engine to give a shade under 300HP which was not noticeably different to the original engine.

I've put the plenum spacer in and also the MREV 2 mod to allow more air into the front cylinders at high revs, plus a Stillen exhaust to add a few more HP to the stock set up.
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:37 pm

One would also wonder with that mod to the headlights whether it would pass WOF. Someone else here is bound to know.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:30 pm

I had a Gun metal coloured one. Its basically just a 350z slapped together with the bits and bobs left over from the previous models. I.e it has the track edition brakes, 6 speed transmission. then it has the ST model (luxury) leather seats and bose sound system (pretty shit to be very honest). This is where my main point comes in for saying its just slapped together with left overs, haha.. it has the next years / versions new engine, the REVUP (not the 07+ "high rev" 7500rpm as pointed out earlier by someone else). In short, its an 06 facelift without the facelift. If it has the rev up motor it will be the 35th anniversary, and if it does it will most likely burn oil. P.s should also have the newer 06 5 spoke alloys.

Google "350z rev up cam covers" and you can easily see the difference between rev up and standard.

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I already had a feeling about it being falsely labeled a '35th Ann Ed' from the start, your replies have just verified that for me and my bro and saved us some.

So the other day, my brother had recieved the 'pre-purchase vehicle inspection' report from when it was done at the current owner's work place. He emailed me right away as soon as he recieved it and I wasn't surprised at the comments made about the car from the report.

Most of the defects we had noticed already when we took it for a test drive, headlights resealed, scratches, exhaust leak and some interior parts that were missing. Major things about the car that were pointed out were also noted, such as: right headlight beam not working, front ABS sensors not secured properly, rear springs not captive, front tints on windscreen illegal, clutch soon releases and slipping, no service history, plastic cover above exhaust bent touching on exhaust and brakes squeal. So that has put him off now from getting that car.

Now we have moved on to better options, I have linked him these two examples to look at: 2003 350GT Coupe Track Spec and 2004 350GT Skyline

My bro is interested in the silver one but he will also consider the white one too. I really like the Track Spec model, its clean judging by the pics, has rare parts on it compared to most 350gt's but the high mileage bothers me. The Silver one however, looks more customised. Still taken care of and garaged too according to the owner.

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to be asking these questions, but I've started this thread anyways so I'll just ask a few questions? Does high mileage put you guys off when buying a car, especially something like this? What's it like to own one of these? even though they have the same engine as my car and from what I've read on the internet it's pretty much identical to a 350Z's chassis/suspensions without the bracing reinforcements.

Are any of these a good buy? or GOOD BYE? :lol: lol

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:46 am

Also the Z badges on the front fenders have a bronze ring, not silver if its the 35th anniversary - ;)

The 350GT is basically a four seater 350Z, same engine, and gearbox? Main difference being that the skyline is made to be more comfortable and not a total sports car. The Infiniti version is supposedly the "luxury model". I try to avoid high mileage, especially if its near the 100k service interval and it hasn't been done. Thing that I also look at when buying a car is that if it's modified it would be fair to say that the previous owner could be a hoon / boy racer and if thats the case could almost certainly be used in racing etc (thrashed / neglected). But that's just how i think :p

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:14 pm

OMSIN wrote:Also the Z badges on the front fenders have a bronze ring, not silver if its the 35th anniversary - ;)

The 350GT is basically a four seater 350Z, same engine, and gearbox? Main difference being that the skyline is made to be more comfortable and not a total sports car. The Infiniti version is supposedly the "luxury model". I try to avoid high mileage, especially if its near the 100k service interval and it hasn't been done. Thing that I also look at when buying a car is that if it's modified it would be fair to say that the previous owner could be a hoon / boy racer and if thats the case could almost certainly be used in racing etc (thrashed / neglected). But that's just how i think :p
Yeah, a 'four seater 350Z' is what I basically had in my head. I have the same mentality as you on high mileage cars, that's why I made sure my Z hadn't been owned by anyone here in NZ, fresh import. But then again, who's to say the owner in Japan also didn't hoon it haha? ah well..

He isn't a car enthusiast also as much as I am so this car would be perfect for him since it's 'made to be more comfortable' which is what he is looking for after driving 2 previously owned 'uncomfortable' cars being oil pan scraping-ly low :lol: I guess he's matured, which is what I was hoping for and it looks like that day has finally arrived.

What ever he ends up with I just hope it's something decent and well thought over, not just buying something that looks cool or anything like that, I'll influence him as best I can though.

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:09 pm

So.. in the end he chose the white 350GT. We had only intended to view and test drive it today, but after the test drive accompanied by the owner himself we were sold so far. We agreed to take the car to the nearest VTNZ for a pre-purchase inspection and it checked out to only have 2 problems. A leak/stain was found near the dip stick and oil filter (probably the owner having topped up the oil recently) and a noise the inspector had noticed near the gear box, described it as a 'clunking sound' upon start up only and a few times on idle. I also have this on my 350Z, the noise near the gear box. Anyone know what it is? Could it be pressure plate?

Overall the vehicle was recommended in good and structurally sound condition according to the end report. Apart from a few things that weren't shown in the pictures from Trademe and only finding out today, only the brake fluid compartment cover was missing, engine bay a bit dusty and could do with a bit of detailing and the front left wheel being kurbed, which dropped the asking price a couple hundreds off in order for us to repair it as the owner agreed. All there was left to do was pay a small deposit, write up an agreement on paper, signed and shake on the deal before we pick the car up tomorrow at the owners place.

my brother awaiting for the owner to organise for new plates, until we can pick up the car tomorrow evening.

And the day was topped off sweetly with this surprise arrival of a 2015 Lamborghini Huracan arriving

Kind of jealous with this car, having Brembos and the sunroof, but I'm happy for him and happy he's bought a 'proper car' this time.. :lol:
Last edited by NISMO33 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:30 pm

My 350Z had a rattle at approx 2k-3k RPM under load and sometimes on start up, pretty sure its something to do with the flywheel especially if its aftermarket (light weight).

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:22 pm

OMSIN wrote:My 350Z had a rattle at approx 2k-3k RPM under load and sometimes on start up, pretty sure its something to do with the flywheel especially if its aftermarket (light weight).
That's a relief to read, so I take it, it isn't something that will wear and tear the gear box in future? As I'm still running the factory gearbox and clutch how will you know it's time to replace?

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:58 pm

it worried me at first too, after reading 350z forums overseas it seems to be normal - "its a sports car, it makes noises". If it was your clutch it would start slipping. If you wanted to put your mind at ease you could get it checked, but that would mean removing the transmission?