1971 DATSUN 240Z – SAMURI

Things, for sale and wanted - descriptive topics
old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

1971 DATSUN 240Z – SAMURI

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed May 06, 2015 11:30 pm

After much soul searching I have decided it is time for SAMURI to go to a new home so I can then pursue some other dreams before I get too old to do so. Offered first on this forum for a few days before listing on TradeMe.
NZ new, registered 20/1/72 and only had 5 owners in 40 years and based on Carjam info has only travelled around 42,000 miles
Developed as a club race car and successfully raced in Auckland 1988-1998 (approx.)
Totally rebuilt since I purchased in March 2008 and maintained regardless of cost since. I lost track (stopped counting!) when the invoices went past the $80K mark.
Could really do with a partial repaint to cover up the paint chips received over several Targa Tours but looks great from a few feet away. Not a show car but designed to be a useable fast road/track car that can suit just about any form of Motorsport or drive to the shops. Add the rest of the roll cage and SAMURI will be ready to enter any Targa or seal event.

All offers over $45,000 considered and includes spare set of Rota wheels with Toyo R888 tyres.
If you are serious, ring me on 027 4425 750 to discuss – preferably evenings.

I’d even consider taking another Z as a partial trade!

Extras available to purchaser
- $3,000 for pretty much all the bits to convert back to a standard 240Z including engine, gearbox, diff, suspension, brakes, trim, seats etc
- $5,000 for all my other Z parts, blocks, carbs, cranks, L14 rods, L20 rods, heads, cams, gearboxes, suspension, bumpers, guards, bonnet, grilles, radiators, front air dams, tail lights, and boxes and boxes of bits some of which are new
- $3,000 for the good condition 40’ high top shipping container all the bits are in

Mechanicals
- Nissan L28 block bored to 90mm – 3.2litre – original block work by Reg Cook
- Nissan LD28 crankshaft
- Nissan L14 rods
- Cosworth forged alloy pistons
- Tomei Metal Head Gasket
- Kelford Fast Road Camshaft
- Port, Polish, Big Valve Cylinder Head by The Cylinder Head Shop
- Triple OER 45mm Carbs, K&N Air Filters
- Kakimoto Racing HPC Coated Exhaust
- Pertronix Dual Strike Ignition and High Power Coil, 280ZX Electronic Distributor
- Accusump Oil Accumulator and Oil Cooler
- Alloy Radiator
- Engine Rebuilt January 2009 by Collier Motor Engineers, Levin – new rings, bearings and balanced
- Dynotuned by Roskilda Autos, Palmerston North – 200Hp at rear wheels on a roller Dyno
- Beta Motorsports pedal box with Tilton master cylinders and hydraulic handbrake
- Skyline GTR Clutch
- Skyline RB20DET 5 speed Gearbox
- Nissan 300ZX LSD 3.9 Differential

Suspension
- Front Coil Over Struts with Koni Adjustable Shocks, K-MAC Adjustable Strut Tops
- Techno Toy Tuning Front Control Arms
- Front Brakes radial mounted Wilwood Superlite R 4 pot with Wilwood 12.19” rotors on custom hats
- Rear Techno Toy Tuning Adjustable Lower Suspension
- Rear King Springs with Koni Adjustable Shocks
- Rear Brakes radial mounted Wilwood Dynapro 4 pot with Wilwood 11.75” rotors on custom adaptors
- Hydraulic hand brake
- Beta Motorsports Pedal box
- Nolathene Suspension Bushes
- Uprated front and rear sway bars
- Rota RB-R 16” Wheels and Toyo R888 or R1R tyres

Body
- Repainted by Gold Coast Panel & Paint, Paraparaumu
- Autosport Seats with Full Harness Belts
- Powder coated, bolt in Half Roll Cage by Octane Automotive, Palmerston North
- Headlight covers and guard mirrors
- Brantz 2 Tripmeter
- Trackit Vehicle Tracker
- Headlights using relays
- LED tail lights with new lenses
- Battery cut out switch in centre console
- Baffled fuel tank with main hose replaced last year
- Fully Certified (3 times!)
Last edited by old_datto_fan on Fri May 08, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merlin

Post by merlin » Thu May 07, 2015 6:00 am

A very fair asking price Mike. Anyone wanting a good 240Z should seriously look at this. If you think you can build one cheaper you are dreaming. I wish I had the space for it.
Last edited by merlin on Thu May 07, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azukii_rain

Post by Azukii_rain » Thu May 07, 2015 6:19 am

Ohhhh man! I've been eyeing that car for ages now! Good luck with sale!!! she better go to a great owner!

ZYX

Post by ZYX » Thu May 07, 2015 7:25 pm

So, what's the other dreams Mike?
My restoration will be finished in time for the next meet. Really. No, REALLY. Maybe......

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Thu May 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks for the positive comment guys. As for the other dreams, one part is to restore the Datsun Roadster that has been languishing in the container for too long while the spare cash has been spent on SAMURI. As for the rest, lets sell if SAMURI sells first, I'm certainly not giving her away.

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Thu May 07, 2015 10:40 pm

Good luck with the sale Mike.

(Come on lotto win!!)

hurtle

Post by hurtle » Thu May 07, 2015 11:22 pm

A beautiful car and an amazing spec. Good luck with the sale Mike, see you on Saturday.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Fri May 08, 2015 8:09 pm

Following conversations with a couple of other Z fanatics, I'm told I'm selling the car far too cheap so have put the price up accordingly - and that I am mad to be selling it at all. So one of my options is to keep the car and downgrade back to stock so also open to offers to sell off the engine/gearbox and ancillaries as a complete unit, diff, brakes/suspension, half-roll cage, seats and belts, Brantz tripmeter. Pedal box etc. And if I do that then the Datsun Roadster project needs to go too so open to discussions re that.

And if the above doesn't make sense as to why I am doing it then what I'm trying to achieve is to have a more standard classic road car that I won't be using for motorsport anymore (had my fair share and I'm getting slower rather than faster after spending heaps to make SAMURI go better - must be old age preservation kicking in!).

Please PM me if any interest.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri May 08, 2015 9:14 pm

I should have kept that car ;)

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Fri May 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Buy it back! Three Z's is not too many is it!

havanother

Post by havanother » Tue May 12, 2015 8:29 am

Any chance of some pictures? It's probably out of my price range but a fella can dream can't he? Who knows, I might be tempted to do something rash. More and more I'm regretting selling my Reg Cook tuned Z. I think I undersold that too.

strydah
Z Club Member

Post by strydah » Tue May 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi Mike, A big call. Hope it goes well. I'm tempted but one of them would have to sit outside...!

I'd be interested in some spares if you wanted to sell separately
cheers
Steve

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon May 25, 2015 10:06 pm

Going up on TradeMe this week so be in quick if any interest.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:33 am

Good luck with the sale Mike.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Tue May 26, 2015 10:21 pm