Freight charge out of USA

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
netrover

Freight charge out of USA

Post by netrover » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:18 am

Went in to get the the aircon serviced just before Xmas. Was told the fan motors were either off or going flat out - the slow speed was not kicking in. The guy thought the complete fan unit would cost about $600, and suggested to save $ I could try sourcing it myself.

There are detailed part numbers on the Courtesy Nissan site, and I ordered just the fan motors as suggested by the repair guy, rather than the whole assembly. Got to the freight options and USD$237 came up! No other options were offered, so quickly cancelled out of the order. Sent them an email asking to discuss other freight options and they came back with FedEx at USD$150. Still seems way over the top to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get what appear to be quite small and not overly heavy parts to NZ?
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

350ZST

Post by 350ZST » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:02 pm

NZ post do a service called YOU SHOP, you basically get your own postal address in the USA and the NZ Post ship it from there to NZ.
It can be very handy sometimes I have had stuff that has been free post in America.
Check it out. you never know it may save you a few $.

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:24 pm

You shop is pretty cool price is 12.50 + 4.50 for every 500 grams (always rounded up) and is in nz dollars. Stuff usually takes about 7-9 days to get to me when I use it once its at the depot in the USA

Red eyeZ

Post by Red eyeZ » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:30 pm

When you buy car stuff from the states do you have to pay duty tax once it arrives in Nz?

djz

Post by djz » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:05 pm

Red eyeZ wrote:When you buy car stuff from the states do you have to pay duty tax once it arrives in Nz?
You don't pay duty but you usually get taxed if the total including shipping is over $400.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:49 pm

Yes I use YouShop too for most stuff out of the US. Lots of non car stuff can be shipped free to the Oregon address.

Car parts I buy seem to always cost within the US but I just choose the cheapest surface option and wait.

They do have maximum size limits so watch out for that.

Bigger stuff I use Kiwi Shipping which is MainFreight.

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:04 pm

Courtesy Nissan freight is often quite high. Try Coz at concept Z performance or Z1motorsports as their freight quotes are often quite competitive. But US to NZ freight costs are on the rise. Sometimes it is also worth sourcing out of Japan, especially as the YEN has improved against the NZ dollar while the US dollar has worsened. I use OOPARTS International, Inc for Japanese stuff, but Nissan Japan often charges a lot more than Nissan USA despite the exchange rate, though freight is usually cheaper.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:06 pm

Zilver may have another group buy coming up from COZ too.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:35 am

350ZST wrote:NZ post do a service called YOU SHOP, you basically get your own postal address in the USA and the NZ Post ship it from there to NZ.
It can be very handy sometimes I have had stuff that has been free post in America.
Check it out. you never know it may save you a few $.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Nice colour on your Zed. Don't see many Solar Orange examples. I've only seen two in Christchurch, and one was on holiday from down south.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:39 am

BRONZEE wrote:Zilver may have another group buy coming up from COZ too.
Thanks for the heads up.

Zilver, any idea of the next group buy? I need to get this sorted quickly as I don't want a cooked engine if the high speed also fails. My temperature gauge is under constant surveillance now!

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:14 am

Could be soon. Ive had a few others ask for CZP imports + I need a replacement wing. Though these items are large more suited for surface which takes a month or so to reach here, but works out tp be about a third of airmail costs. The more particpants the cheaper the shipping.
Flick me an email to nay300@gmail.com and Ill see what I can do/quote/timeframe.
Ive actually ordered some small items/clips etc which your motors if small may piggyback on that/Airmail if lucky and hasnt left yet...

marrow

Post by marrow » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:57 pm

I've been looking at ordering some springs, and MSA quoted me like $200 in shipping for the set of eibachs I wanted, so I'd be interested to try this out.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:20 pm

My parts arrived yesterday.

Had to chase up You Shop about a week ago as the supplier sent an email saying it had been delivered. Logging in to You Shop revealed they had nothing for me. When I advised them of my tracking number it was found straight away.

One of the motors has a bent mounting bracket but I guess it can be encouraged to revert to its notmal position.

Came to USD$369 plus freight but not intercepted by customs this time.

B101

Post by B101 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:52 pm

can it be taxed if it is sent over as a gift? i have family over in LA and i have been getting things sent to there home address.
im hoping they cant tax you if it is a girft.

djz

Post by djz » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:02 pm

"Gifts are items sent from persons abroad to persons resident in New Zealand that are unsolicited by the recipient and relate to a special occasion such as a birthday, wedding or Christmas.

If the value of the gift is no more than NZ$110, it can be imported free of Customs charges.

If the gift is worth more than NZ$110, Customs charges will be payable on the value of the gift that is worth more than NZ$110."
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.