Insuring for an 18 year old?

350Z
Santigo

Insuring for an 18 year old?

Post by Santigo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi all, I'm wanting to get a 350z but I'm 18 and on my restricted license so it's a real problem to insure.
Does anyone have any suggested companies who insure this? Or is it worth getting it under my parents and adding me as a driver?

Thanks!

reliablejunkie
Z Club Member

Post by reliablejunkie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:30 pm

I seriously struggled with insurance when I bought my 280zx. Turbocharged car, 19 year old male plus it was just before I got my full so I never bothered getting insured. There was one company that was willing to insure and it was reaching 60 dollars a month. I left it until now but going through my bank was the cheapest option. Have you considered that? The best way to find out is to ring up and get quotes to compare.
Someone had to make up for all the pollutants these hybrid cars are saving these days, so i cranked up the fuel pressure and let the engine roar.

1983 280ZX L20ET engine with an N42 head running on megasquirt ECU

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Insurance for me as a 20 yr old male with a full license and 60% no claims discount is $124 a month and that's the cheapest I could find after asking 11 insurance companies and only three would cover me at all with no previous driving charges at all.... It's not cheap. But then neither is owning a z So if you got the money you might as well!
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

Santigo

Post by Santigo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:27 am

Thanks guys for the info!
I'll check with the bank.

I suppose there's always the option to just get third party insurance and not worry about insuring the car, as it might not be cost effective with what i need to pay

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:02 am

Definitely get full insurance. Although 350's are going pretty cheap now, if it's stolen or written off (I perish the thought) that's a whole in your wallet.

Club Auto maybe worth talking to.
http://www.clubauto.co.nz/
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

merlin

Post by merlin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:19 am

Try getting quotes for 3rd party fire and theft. It may turn out a lot cheaper but if YOU have a crash (your fault) your car is not covered but the damage you cause is. It will make you think twice to know if you do something stupid your car is gone. It also is covered if it catches fire, not a high chance and for theft.

Logan

Post by Logan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:02 pm

Ive been with NAC since I started driving, they had no problem insuring me for turbos/V8s when I was on restricted (3rd party only). However they wouldn't give the option of 3rd party only on the 350z due to the market value of the car so you might be stuck with full insurance regardless. Cost at the moment is $119 per month for full with maximum no claims bonus. I had a quote from Youi which was significantly cheaper (about $98), but I'm not sure I trust getting paid out by them if something did happen.

S13 Silvia

Post by S13 Silvia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:45 pm

I bought my 350Z at 18, on my full license and have been paying $1500 a year with NAC for full cover. We're all in the same boat... Even with a clean record.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:25 pm

Logan wrote:but I'm not sure I trust getting paid out by them if something did happen.
As I'm sure Bernjean will chime in, really important as who the company is underwritten by, in terms of payout, as Logan has pointed out. Some companies are rubbish when it comes to the pardon the term, crunch, and will duck and drive so they can get out of paying.
Next - Z Club events:

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:09 am

The important part is to see who they are underwritten by. Youi might be okay, but I don't know who their backers are. If you have a friend or parent that uses a Broker try to tag it into their policy. Will usually save a few bucks. Unfortunately you guys are tagged high risk. Have you tried the classic car guys. We have the 350Z insured under modern classic, and that saves us a bit, the 260Z is real cheap to insure. Can"t remember their name but they were underwritten NZI, so thats okay. Imogen will remember they gave us a presentation at club committee night.
Bernie Kant
Club President

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:10 am

bernjean wrote:The important part is to see who they are underwritten by. Youi might be okay, but I don't know who their backers are. If you have a friend or parent that uses a Broker try to tag it into their policy. Will usually save a few bucks. Unfortunately you guys are tagged high risk. Have you tried the classic car guys. We have the 350Z insured under modern classic, and that saves us a bit, the 260Z is real cheap to insure. Can"t remember their name but they were underwritten NZI, so thats okay. Imogen will remember they gave us a presentation at club committee night.
Swann Insurance and underwritten by AIG.
Next - Z Club events:

chrismx5

Post by chrismx5 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:42 am

Wee! Insurance - this is my job :)

Okay - DO NOT get it under your parents name and you as a driver, you will have no insurance history when you finally get insurance under your own name.

I am through club auto - and cannot recommend them enough!

Disclose EVERYTHING
350z
Miata
E30
Primera
Silvia
A6..
I change my cars more than I change my clothes.

350ZST

Post by 350ZST » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:45 pm

Insured mine today thro my bank, Westpac and it's costing me $57 a month for full cover with $300 excess. That's for a $25000 value car.
I'm happy with that.