DJ's other 280ZX

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
djz

Re: DJ's other 280ZX

Post by djz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:24 pm

I should have looked at the exhaust manifold before I put the engine in, it didn't have down pipe on it when I took it out of the donor car, turns one of the studs was stripped.

I bought another L20E for the dizzy and a couple of other bits, I was hoping the exhaust manifold was going to be good but it had a stud broken in half, so after two goes welding a nut on it I managed to get it out.

Also cleaned up the face on the big linisher at work, now I just have to pull the ones off the car and swap it over.

Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

djz

Post by djz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Got the manifolds off this. I took the inlet manifold to work and gave it a clean in the big dishwasher, it came up a little bit better. Will get it back together this weekend hopefully.

This was the reason for having to pull them off

djz

Post by djz » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Cleaned the inlet manifold at work, came up a bit better. I'm going to remove the fuel rail and a couple of the other rusty looking bits and give them a clean/paint before I put the rest of it together.

There were a bunch of ARP bolts at work that were going in the scrap metal bin so I liberated them, turns out they were just the right length for putting the manifold on a L series so now this thing has some Lotus history on it.

djz

Post by djz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:59 pm

Ended up having to take the inlet manifold off again so I took it to work and sandblasted it while it was off, came up pretty good. I'll give the fuel rail a coat of paint before it goes back on as well, and yes I'll be sand blasting the rocker cover too.

Haven't done much else to this unfortunately, I put the passengers interior back together the other day. Exhaust is off the red car and ready to go onto this, just need to find the time. The new injector plugs I bought aren't a direct fit onto the original terminals so I either need to buy more that will work or cut off and recrimp all the terminals (which I don't really want to do).

djz

Post by djz » Sun May 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Bought some new boot hatch struts from Rockauto, the original ones on this have never held the hatch up since I bought it, very easy install and they came with new hardware, now it stays up on it's own.

That's all I've done to this recently. James helped me cut up the parts car and we took it to the dump so that's one less headache.

djz

Post by djz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:49 pm

Water jet an EGR block off block plate out of some stainless and gave it a quick polish.

Also gave the big Nissan rocker cover that is going on it a sand blast, it came up pretty good, would need a little bit of filler if it's going to be painted in the future. Took the baffle plate off afterwards to give it a clean out.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:13 pm

Nice work DJ.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

djz

Post by djz » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Put an exhaust on this, it was the original exhaust off the red 2+2 so I had to shorten it a bit, the tail pipe comes out the wrong side at the back but I didn't want to cut the rear valence. I cut out two new flanges on the water jet and had to make up two new hangers for it but it turned out pretty well, seems quite loud for a stock exhaust though.

Bled the rear brakes while I had the back end up in the air, need to bleed the fronts and put on a missing brake hose clip then I can take it for a test drive.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 am

Lookin great mate 8)

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:21 pm

Cool to see its nearly alive and kicking. good work!
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2