Passenger window wont go up or down

350Z
coomzie
Z Club Member

Passenger window wont go up or down

Post by coomzie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:54 pm

hi zedders, trouble with 350z passenger window wont go up,or down now. Had replacement motor 3 yrs ago. Someone reckoned the motors are OK and just needed a squirt of oil on the motor bushings - is this correct as we are face with a 500 bill if not - help appreciated. Cheers Coomzie

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:05 pm

coomzie wrote:hi zedders, trouble with 350z passenger window wont go up,or down now. Had replacement motor 3 yrs ago. Someone reckoned the motors are OK and just needed a squirt of oil on the motor bushings - is this correct as we are face with a 500 bill if not - help appreciated. Cheers Coomzie
Colin, it will probably just be the window slightly off it's rail or maybe the bushings are clogged up and need cleaning. Shouldn't be a major.

Here's a helpful thread. I thought I'd posted the reset procedure before as it's an extremely common problem, but obviously not.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/85532-pass ... w+motor%22

Getting the door card off is also a fairly easy procedure if the window is off it's rails.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

coomzie
Z Club Member

Post by coomzie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:48 am

Thanks Imogen, i remembered talking about window problems a few years ago but couldnt remember the outcome. Reluctant to take it to a garage as theses days most just replace parts instead of fixing. If they are similar to other electric window motors they use little over-current sensors that detect the slightest increase on power draw and cut out at the top and bottom of travel and if a hand gets caught in the window etc. Freeing up a tight track and a drop of oil on the motor bushings could do the trick.
Cheers again and will catch up with you all soon, probably at Galaxy and the Sunday ar Ellerslie
Coomzie

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:06 am

Hope this helps. I had the same problem with my 350z both side windows were playing up. It was a simple fix. What happens is that the the window motors get dust build up around the brushes and only make contact intermittently. The fix is to pull the door trims of, remove the window mechanisms, take the motors of and strip them down, clean them up, give the armature a very light sand and put it all back together. problem solved. Transparently this happens a bit. I goggled it for a fix.
Bernie Kant
Club President

agecage
Z Club Member

Post by agecage » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:34 pm

bernjean wrote:Transparently this happens a bit.
Lol well said old man.

coomzie
Z Club Member

Post by coomzie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks Bernie, i got it now. I "goggled" it too mate. Bit of an "eye opener" what some people do to their poor cars!!
Many clips show how to take everything apart and clean it all up with CRC contact cleaner or similar products - very helpful but most of them miss an important part - re-oiling the microid bushings in both ends of the little motor and re-soaking the little felt oil resorvoirs around the bushings again. I use turbine oil for things like that seems to last longer than 3 in 1 or ordinary engine oil. Then Making sure both spring loaded carbon brushes and their holders are clean of dust and carbon and the brushes are free to move in and out against their springs and are not damaged during re-assembly - no lubricant allowed.
Apparently the Bowden cables on the window mechanism are often over-looked as people go straight to the motor. These can partially sieze through lack of use too and a good idea to clean up and light oil. Nissan reckon a whole new window mechanism is only $157.00 so I will consider if its worth mucking around with cables or not or just buy a new mechanism. A New Motor is $555.00 so its definitely worth pulling out a few old skills to resurrect that (carefully)! It was replaced only 2.5 years years ago and the window has only been up and down a 1/2 doz times since so its probably a tight mechanism or track rather than the motor.
Thanks for everyones help. I just need to suck it and see now. Ill sort it.
Hope this dialogue has helped others that have similar problems - Cheers Bronzie and Bernie.
CC