Annual Lake Ferry Excursion - Wellington/Wairarapa Sat 13th

Events that other clubs or organization have arranged.
old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Annual Lake Ferry Excursion - Wellington/Wairarapa Sat 13th

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:47 pm

What: Annual Lake Ferry Excursion
Date: Saturday December 13 2014
Time: Z Club meet at rest area just north of Haywards Turnoff - SH2 at 10.00am
Then travel to Featherston to meet at 11am - Meeting place Featherston Fell Engine Museum. Leave for Lake Ferry at 11.30am.
Food available at Lake Ferry Hotel.
Things to bring: A gold coin, for our clubs charity St Johns. Picnic lunch if you don't want to eat at the Hotel.

This is an annual event organised by the Wellington Branch of the Sunbeam Owners Club. I gather it is quite popular.

Michael

Post by Michael » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:09 pm

I'll probably attend, just need to check the household social calendar.
Michael
---------
1973 240Z (running)
1957 Austin A35 (in bits)

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:39 pm

From the Sunbeam Car Club Facebook page:

"Reminder people: 35th Lake Ferry Excursion is this Saturday! 35 years!
Actual event starts in Featherston at 11am. We have had heaps of response from clubs and non club members, all are welcome, any make of car (yes even Japanese).
It has been in the Dominion Post paper every Saturday for 5 months so we are expecting a huge turnout and are hoping to break the ten-year anniversary record of 150 cars. Please spread the word to other people are who aren't fortunate enough to own a Sunbeam"
Michael
---------
1973 240Z (running)

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Have fun, we'd love to see pics! 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

asyado

Post by asyado » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:16 am

Hi all,
sounds like I had better get there early, so I can get a park, as Featherston most probably only has 100 parking spots, pmsl.
Nigel aka asyado
Insanity is only one gear change away!!!

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:16 am

... and the Lake Ferry pub (destination) even fewer car parks.
Michael
---------
1973 240Z (running)

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:32 pm

Match report:

Approx 50 cars gathered in Featherston for this event.
Besides the organising clubs Sunbeams, there was all sorts of cars in attendance: 1929 Chrysler, Austin 7, Austin A35, Triumph TR3, TR4, TR4A, TR7, a big finned Caddy, Ferrari 512F (?) replica, Porsche 356, E type Jag, Monaro, MGs, Leyland P76 and more.

We rolled out of Featherston at 11:30 and after some minor confusion finding the Western Lake Rd, set off towards Lake Ferry.
The pace was sedate as we were following the Austin 7 and did not want to be seen as hooning by passing him.
After his recent Targa trips, Mike C was a bit frustrated with this.

Rain showers along the way, a cool southerly once we reached our destination and a pub booked out for another function meant that we did not hang around too long at Lake Ferry.
Now accompanied by Nigel ('asyado'), the three Zeds headed back to a warm cafe in Martinborough for a coffee stop and a bite to eat.

Homeward bound after filling our bellies, I had a good little blat coming back from Martinborough and over the Rimutaka Hill in the rain - blew all the cobwebs out of my 240.

Not a bad outing but the weather was not our friend today.
Michael
---------
1973 240Z (running)

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:15 pm

Yes, bit of a shame that the weather spoiled what could have been a great day out with a very eclectic mix of cars even though the majority were of British origins. The Ferrari replica was superb - I'd happily swap my Z for that!

I drove my mate's Triumph TR3A back while he drove my Z. Great to experience something different but I will keep the 240 thanks. And that Austin 7 held me up going over the Rimutakas on the way home too - that said for an Austin 7 it was going rather well. It is great being able to observe how your own car looks on the road and watch how it corners and handles bumps.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:16 am

old_datto_fan wrote:Yes, bit of a shame that the weather spoiled what could have been a great day out with a very eclectic mix of cars even though the majority were of British origins. The Ferrari replica was superb - I'd happily swap my Z for that!.
Dont' let Samuri hear you say that. :P

Fantastic to hear you guys had a good day out despite the weather. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.