VG30 DETT (or VG30 anything)

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
mungyz

VG30 DETT (or VG30 anything)

Post by mungyz » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:20 pm

Here's the first task a VG30 has survived:

150kms from home in the middle of the night in my Z32 (VG30DETT engine) my sump struck the ground and pushed the sump into the oil pump pick up, with flow reduced HEAPS but still half oil pressure I carried on home (at the time I didn't realise it had happened).

The mighty VG30 marched home with no trouble at all, the next day when the oil had cooled it was to thick to pass through the gap between pickup and sump and so had no oil pressure, time to pull the engine and fix it.

Once yanked and stripped I found the engine was not worth rebuilding at the time due to other issues (bore dammage from rubish air filters) so a spare motor was fitted and thrashed through MANY MANY burnout displays and drag races, having overheated around five to six times and sat at redline for up to 5mins at a time in second gear on the spot this engine began to smoke a little so was also pulled - stripped and found to be in extremely good nick only needing the standard bearings and rings to match on again for another 200000kms.

The first engine (original to the car by numbers) was rebuild with standard bearings and a set of forged pistons with original crank and rods and now makes 520HP with ease and also spends alot of time doing huge revs (8000RPM+) with no sign of trouble at all 8)

feel free to add to the thread VG30 owners (or lovers)

NOSFEDZ32

Post by NOSFEDZ32 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:45 pm

I hydrolocked my VG30 on the way home from taupo 2005 as some might remember fooked a piston...thats it, and still drove from taupo to wellington to be greeted by a engine pull and rebuild using std interanls bearing's and such, so installed the GT2530's, installed the Motec M8 pro, new BOV's....don't know what it was pulling HP wise but with the flowed injectors it could push 19psi...easy....until a birdstrike killed one of my turbo's...

over 13years of service thee old VG series..

L series engines are a great exmaple of a interesting debate I think they are cool in the design, but i can see the short coming in the intake/exhaust on the same side....
A few projects on the go....

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:10 pm

I remeber reading an Ozy car mag a few years ago, Had the worlds fastest Nissan Skline in it
Funny thing was it was powered by a VG30 DETT with twin Renault F1 turbos :shock:
The thing made over 1000HP no worries at all 8)

Jet boat racers used to love the VG30s and would pay a huge amount of money for them only a couple of years ago,
They were found of them for there abillity to rev and make heaps of power with good reliabillity.

The Nissan Maxima was awarded car of the year how many times - with the Vg30 in it 8)

The key to a good engine is its builder alot of the time,
even the worlds best engine will crumble and break if put together incorrectly.

Mad Mike had endless trouble with his beast untill one day we got the rite combination of parts and skill
now that beast just loves a good thrashing 8) 8) 400kws @ the wheels and going strong
Go the VG30DETT!!!!!!

ForemanNZ

Post by ForemanNZ » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:58 pm

Lemme see - USA sport compact drag racing hi-lights

In Puerto Rico, a country renowned for drag racing, the first 7 second 1/4 mile run with a V-6 engine was achieved in a Z31 by Cesar Febus in 2000
In 2003, Cesar dominated the modified class, often beating the competition by a clear margin! He ended up winning 6 of 9 events, and came 2nd in another, leaving only 2 events where he wasn't in the final!!!
In an interview with Vinny Ten (drives a Toyota Supra), he's quoted as saying "I came to Pomona, not to win the race, but to beat Cesar because I want to beat the best"

In 2001, a lil ol VG30DETT powered tubeframe Z32 left USA customs 2 days before it was due for its first outing on USA soil, where it left alot of people feeling innadequate! It won the finals with a 7.4ET, with no tuning since it left japan! The car makes over 1200rwhp
AKA ZFETSH
Now armed with a Z32 2+0 NA

Pest

Post by Pest » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:45 pm

This is an awesome thread guys. I don't know too much about the VG30, but I know there's an 240 drag car in Japan with an L26 making 1000+RWHP

Keep up the posts, this'll be a great thread to point newbs at :D

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:00 pm

oh yeah
Steve Millen - HE DA MAN!!
432.45KPH in a Z32 300zx - powered by ........... VG30 DETT

oh thats 260.34MPH in the old language 8)

found that in wikipedea, not sure how many wins he had in the IMSA series with the VG30DETT powered monster but I think I read some place that they just banned the car in the end :lol:

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:34 am

NOSFEDZ32 wrote:L series engines are a great example of a interesting debate I think they are cool in the design, but i can see the short coming in the intake/exhaust on the same side....
As an L series guy - may I reply to that?
Interesting take however some might know that Nissan made a rare head for the L series bottom end. This was known as the LY and it was a cross flow hemi design. These were used on a number of Nissan works cars (mainly for rally duties) some were even fitted with EFI throttle bodies (I have seen a set my self - had NISSAN cast on the throttle bodies they used the old hosetail injectors as the o-ring injector had not been designed back then) any way you might be surprised to find out that these hemi cross flow heads only gave a 5% increase in flow/HP output so they were not worth the cost of further development so Nissan even went back to the stock non-cross flow heads.

However I can't comment on the custom OS Giken DOHC TC24-B1 head (1982) as I have not seen any flow figures from these very rare heads.

NOSFEDZ32

Post by NOSFEDZ32 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:40 pm

I spent 6k on my L series to change the flow design while keeping it OHC...that need 540hp @ the rear treads...

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:39 am

VG30.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:38 pm

mungyz wrote:VG30.
Yes sorry about the slight hi-jack back to VG30.

ForemanNZ

Post by ForemanNZ » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Ooo, just found out that Jorge Lazcano-Contreras ran a 7.091@190.62mph in 2003 - thats an astonishing accomplishment, considering how long ago that was! Engine was still VG30DE, but ran a single turbo and methanol
We won't see this going any faster though, as he wrote it off, but the good news is he's now campaining a 350Z 8)
AKA ZFETSH
Now armed with a Z32 2+0 NA

NOSFEDZ32

Post by NOSFEDZ32 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:21 pm

mmmmmmm VG30DETT always.......

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks mods 8)
Another great thing about my own personal VG30 is it is so good on its oil - even after a hard thrash at Taupo I can still drain the oil and use it to do an oil change on my Ford ute :D :lol: - I mean really who would waste new oil on a Ford when you can give it the still clean looking and smelling oil from a 500hp beast :lol: (really I'm just tryin g to transfer some of the hp from the car to the ute . . . . . no luck so far :lol: )

geordieggg

Post by geordieggg » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:59 pm

mungyz wrote:Thanks mods 8)
Another great thing about my own personal VG30 is it is so good on its oil - even after a hard thrash at Taupo I can still drain the oil and use it to do an oil change on my Ford ute :D :lol: - I mean really who would waste new oil on a Ford when you can give it the still clean looking and smelling oil from a 500hp beast :lol: (really I'm just tryin g to transfer some of the hp from the car to the ute . . . . . no luck so far :lol: )
Dude...... it's a Ford........... doesn't need any hp transfer and doesn't need the good stuff either. Just remember, who won Bathurst?? :lol:

And if that ain't enough I'll try to get some pics of what my stock standard 4.1l Falcon has been through and has done as well.

However, this is a VG30 thread, and I do have one as well - 89 J30 Maxima with a VG30E - I think I've changed the oil twice in it since I got it (about 4 years ago) - first time was a proper change (new filter etc), second time it took almost 12 months - wait until it uses a little bit, then top it up with new stuff hehehe. Still starts first pop, no rattles or noises, and still pulls hard for a luxury car (in it's day of course!). Anyone want to buy the motor? Will throw the rest of the car in for free!

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:25 am

Oh NOOOO!!!!!! a Ford lover :lol:
quick shoot him before they start breeding :lol: :P
to be fair you are rite - the F&^d goes very well for what it is
But like you say this is a VG30 thread :D

Any one know the world record for outrite HP output from a VG30 of any type or tune?