Sound systems

Answer to most of the common technical questions
LethalDuck

Sound systems

Post by LethalDuck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi All.

I'm looking for ideas of how to put a sound system together in my imported 04 350z track-ed. Keen to hear peoples experiences of their systems and what they used. Sequence of removing panels, carpets, seats, etc to reinstall head unit, amplifiers, speakers (doors and behind seats). Are there any switches like airbag switches that I'd need to be aware of or stay away from? How to reset such switches if they are removed etc. Where did you run main power cable from battery to amplifier/s? Where did you take it through the firewall?

Subwoofer
Thinking of putting a sub woofer behind the drivers seat under the satellite speaker. As putting in the boot takes up too much space.
What size subwoofer can be fitted into this space?

Head unit
Single din or double?
If single, what are other people replacing the GPS screen with?
Any special wireing interfaces required to connect aftermarket head units?
I need USB in for all of my audio. Don't really use anything else.
Recommendations, thoughts?
Any tips on removing the GPS unit and aerials without leaving a mess and/or destroying things.?

Satellite speaker
What are size of the factory speakers in the doors and behind seats (physical and power)?
What are peoples thoughts on how they sound? Is it worth replacing them, if so what have people used?

Ribbon tweeters
Have people installed these? If so what have they used, how do they sound?

Fung

Post by Fung » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi,
http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/
http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/front_speakers/
http://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video ... -350z.html (double check if correct)
http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/console_removal/

Subwoofer= If you have the bose factory, it would be 8 inch or 10 inch

Not sure about the headunit as I dont have GPS screen.

Satellite speaker
6.5 for front speakers. Not sure for the rear speakers as they are not worth changing. The Front speakers is worth replacing.. Im using audison av k6 (im selling mine if your interested).
http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/reports ... t-speakers
http://www.reviewboard.com/2010/09/3601 ... et-review/
Last edited by Fung on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:14 pm

As Fung points out, the stock position for the NZ new's and some of the imports is behind the drivers seat. A number of people both here and overseas, have set up subs in a custom sub box that stands vertically underneath the rear strut brace. Size wise most fit in there just fine in a sort of horse shoe shape.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Fung

Post by Fung » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:38 pm

Also Bronzee mentioned that a number of people both here and overseas, have set up custom sub box instead of swapping the aftermarket subwoofer in the bose's place as it wont produce their potential sound.
Last edited by Fung on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LethalDuck

Post by LethalDuck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks BRONZEE and Fung. Those guides look great.
Fung. I'm a bit concerned about putting the sub woofer under the strut brace, as it doesn't leave a lot of room in the boot. Although probably provides more flexibility to use the speaker setup that works best. Currently I just have a plastic cover where the sub woofer would be behind the drivers seat, no factory sub woofer.

Fung:
Those satellite speakers you're selling look nice. What sort of price are you looking for?
That doesn't look like a home made setup. Where did you find the sub woofer panel and the amp box with the windows etc? It looks outstanding.

Fung

Post by Fung » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Got a guy to do all the custom box and amp rack etc. :D and it does look outstanding.
You have got to measure the volume area before buying the subs (I could help you find the right subs for you).
I will pm for the audison speakers.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:19 pm

I sealed the area where my factory Bose sub (pfff its not a sub) was, expanding foam and dynamat, job done. Cheap 10" sub installed, does what it needs to, if you want ground shaking bass then get a 12" and put it in the boot

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Had a dig around in some of my old photos to see if I could find some of the pics of how Bear did the install for one of the guys, can't find the pics though. Looked really good, don't think Bear is doing installs now though.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

LethalDuck

Post by LethalDuck » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:37 pm

BRONZEE wrote:Had a dig around in some of my old photos to see if I could find some of the pics of how Bear did the install for one of the guys, can't find the pics though. Looked really good, don't think Bear is doing installs now though.
I'll do the install and sub box. I'm a carpenter by trade. I'll just get the box upholstered. I'll need to find the right sub woofers to for that space. I'm thinking of doing the same sort of box that you had Fung. Where did those images go?

Also does anyone know how I can convert the space behind the drivers seat where some z's have a subwoofer into another storage compartment, as it's just wasted space behind the plastic I assume? I don't have a subwoofer or plastic door there currently, just a plastic panel.

Cheers.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:40 pm

You would have to cut the metal panel away where a factory would bolt onto. You could easily fab up something basic tho?

LethalDuck

Post by LethalDuck » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:55 pm

OMSIN wrote:You would have to cut the metal panel away where a factory would bolt onto. You could easily fab up something basic tho?
Ah, so immediately behind the plastic panel is metal?

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:47 pm

LethalDuck wrote:
OMSIN wrote:You would have to cut the metal panel away where a factory would bolt onto. You could easily fab up something basic tho?
Yes, it is thin with a dinner plate size hole leading to a large void.

You can pop that panel off rather easily, do it from the top corner with a thin screw driver or a strong piece of plastic / there are't any stupid clips to break, its more or less just slotted into place

LethalDuck

Post by LethalDuck » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:24 pm

OMSIN wrote:
LethalDuck wrote:
Yes, it is thin with a dinner plate size hole leading to a large void.

You can pop that panel off rather easily, do it from the top corner with a thin screw driver or a strong piece of plastic / there are't any stupid clips to break, its more or less just slotted into place
Excellent! Cheers for the tips.

LethalDuck

Post by LethalDuck » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Fung has helped immensely with tips etc, not to mention selling me some lovely parts which I'm about to receive. I'm looking at making a subwoofer box for my two 12" speakers to fit directly in front of the rear strut brace. I notice a few on ebay pretty cheap. Cheaper than I can make. Problem is, they don't ship to NZ. Does anyone know anyone that would ship these sorts of sub boxes to NZ or alternatively and better, someone in NZ that is doing this frequently?

Buster

Post by Buster » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:56 pm

You Shop. It's a NZ Post thing.
They ship from USA, Europe (UK), and China.