Karl's 240z Project :)

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:40 pm

Do some nights and we'll shake it down at Taupo! Looking good.

fome dome

Post by fome dome » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:41 pm

:o Wow cool project :o

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:53 pm

Hello,

Time for another update on what's been happening to the car, bit of a boring one as lots of little things have been done that aren't very interesting to photograph..

The tail lights have gone in, new seals and all. I realise that the middle section of the surrounds is incorrect for a 240z so if someone has a correct one stashed away I'd be interested :)

Have installed the passenger's window and pretty much all the door components. I'm on the look out for a passenger door card and the alignment dovetails for the doors if anyone has these :)

I managed to get some seat rails and bucket seat mounts pretty cheap so just have to find suitable seats now

Have test fitted all the wiring, installed the heater components, sorted out pedal positions, drilled holes for the loom and the drains from the cowl bit, given everything a paint, vacuumed out the sills and have started laying heat and soundproofing

Engine is in with a new oil pan/sump (old one was well past its prime), headers on, new compact starter, rebuild carb. Doing a bit of research into upgrading to an 85 amp internally reg'd holden alternator. What amperage is everyone else using? I've been told running a stereo (not that its going to need one lol) and electric fans might not be the best on the 40 amp I have??

And then a bit of comedic relief

Cheers
Karl

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi everyone,

Time for a small update, have been pretty slack on the progress as I've been debating a few things with my dad who is giving guidance and help on the build. Firstly on wiring, secondly on engine choice and the auto vs manual debate.

Mum's given me a kick up the bum so I've got back into it with the fun task of wiring ;)

Have brought a few things for the car over the period battery cables, Alternator cables, Fuel cell, Gear selector/ ratchet shifter, various oils and dress up things for the engine.

Got a good deal on a pair of racepro bucket seats for the car

I've been in contact with a certifier in regards to my seat mounts as I wasn't happy with the amount of flex that they had. I originally planned to run a bit of RHS across the floor so I could lower the seating position a bit, but the certifier suggested I just run a bit of steel 45 degrees off the bottom of the mount and that would stiffen it up and plug all the holes you can see on the mounts from the previous owner.

Before:

After:

And im going to run 2 of these under each mount to stop the flex

The wiring in the car is very confusing. I've got a hacked up wiring loom for the v8 conversion mixed with a Fairlady Z-L wiring loom which comprises components of 260z, 280z and japanese domestic market wiring (Which I have yet to find a wiring diagram for a Fairlady Z-L) all meaning no one wiring diagram makes any sense for the project. Fun times :)

So after reading A280Z's build thread a while back I decided to 'simplify' the fusible link situation by attempting to do the same fuse block conversion

I think these wires are all correct and then I moved on into the cabin. Found 3 blocks (1 brown, 2 black) that don't currently have mates (unsure if they every did in the blue car) but everything else is connected

How it sits under the dash and the fusebox's final position

The only thing left for wiring is to find room for all the relays which will hopefully fit with a bracket off the steering column and pedal box. I also have to connect the body loom to the tail loom as it was cut by the previous owner. Connect all the centre console wires, install the heater and probably make a new harness for that. Wire up the starter and fuel pump and it 'should' be ready to start once the fuel lines are done.

Cheers
Karl

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:28 pm

Awesome! Bit of a spaghetti mess but I'm sure you'll cope haha, I love wiring stuff but am always hesitant that I've done it right.. Have you decided auto/manual yet?
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:51 am

You have taken on a big challenge and your hard work is starting to show some good results. Well done.
I've always wondered how the car have sold had they made it with a v8 as well. Should have given everything else a run for the money as the articles I have read from the day, put the 240Z on par with the Camaro and their counterparts. The only thing they lacked was the low down torque. If my memory serves me correctly I have a magazine article at home from the 70's that compares the 240Z with the Z28 Camaro. The 240 came out ahead of the Camaro.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:44 pm

Yeah Wiring is definitely spaghetti have some conduit that will hopefully tidy it up after I know it runs and functions correctly. Just a pain that I can't seem to find the correct wiring diagram but I guess it just adds to the fun.

Car will be staying v8 for now as well as auto. Trying to find a decent 5 speed or say a Toyota 5 speed + chev bellhousing isnt worth the outlay at the end of the day.

Have purchased a B&M megashifter which has a ratcheting action so I can 'sort of' drive it as a manual.. or as close to it as an auto gets without having fancy tip tronic or flappy paddles.

Will definitely be interest first drive :)

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi Guys,

Small update, haven't gotten a lot done as I am now back at Uni.

Progress has been more of the money leaving the wallet kind as well as deciding what components will work with stuff I already have.

However parts are still going back on the car :)

The Drivers side front fender is now back on the car after being off for almost 6 months and with it now being on the front can now start the reassembly process!!

Its not a very good photo (cant open the garage its raining :) ) but gives you an idea of the black and orange contrast im going for.

I believe the car came with a stock looking radiator and I was going to run with that for a while. Put it in connected the hoses put some water in and water started to come out of the transmission cooler connectors... So good old trade me and one fresh new "bolt on" radiator later.

I've had to use some aluminium channel to make the radiator fit as the holes are not close to lining up even after enlarging the stock ones.

Next up was changing the diff oil, which gave me some presents..... Yay :roll:

So out that came for a looksee inside. Can't see any obvious signs of failure, diff oil definitely smelt burnt so dunno will keep an eye out for a new one and put it back in until it breaks

Because racecar ;)

Karl

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Hello

Hopefully this works....

It's Alive!!

Wiring is 95% complete only a few minor loose ends to tie up :)

Karl

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:35 am

Probably stating the obvious but don't forget to put a good rubber around the edges of the hole in firewall where the wires come through. You don't want the wires chaffing on any sharp edges. If you are using something not standard glue it into place because the rubber can still wear through.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:12 pm

Hello,

Its been a while since the last update - Project is ticking along just very slow progress at the moment.

Fuel system is all sorted with S/S hardline and braided line for the flexi bits.

99% of the wiring is done just need to sort out an earth for the back, do the inhibitor switch for the shifter and tidy up/ shorten a few of the longer wires.

Shifter mounted and adjusted 99% grinds a little when going into park (not sure why will have to do some research)

Brakes have been bleed and work which is a bonus, need to figure out the settings for the bias valve and more than likely bleed the system a couple more times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT2sWd0lKcE

Just has muffler and silencers temporarily clamped on too try and keep peace with the neighbours.

Pushed it back inside only to discover the next day when I topped the fluids up that the transmission is haemorrhaging ATF so have attempted to fix it tonight and will hopefully find no giant red stains on the floor tomorrow

Cheers
Karl

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:39 pm

Hello guys and girls,

It's been a while!

Slowly making the exhausts, had to relocate the fuel cell as it would have been too close to the exhausts.

Got some new bling for the z in the form of wheels just need to wait for tyres to come in from the states. The joy of running wide 15" rims :)

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:38 pm

Exhaust is finished (welds are not internet ready) 1 silencer and 1 muffler box per side hopefully its quite enough :lol:

Fuel cell holder is made, went from this

Image[/URL]

to this

now im finishing off the floor and filling all the holes

Also mocked up the wheels, looks like flares are in the build plan now :D

15x9.5 - 21

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:17 am

Hello everyone,

Well she rolls under her own steam :twisted:

Dad and I popped along to the caffine and classics out at north west shopping centre on the weekend, some very nice machinery on display with a lone blue 300zx.

Got home and decided to see if the beast would roll out of the garage to get some photos and to test my homemade exhaust.

Here she is siting in the sun

The exhaust quietens it down a little still dont know if its legal though :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImhdxryG30

^ Thats a short video of it running with the exhaust on it. Didnt want to annoy the neighbours too much
Last edited by Karljsw on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:27 am

You've almost earned a drive! Well done, good progress, it's been a long road