Grant's LHD 1970 Datsun 240z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:17 pm

But I guess the question is, is it working and how will change or not change the performance of the engine, generally speaking most emissions equipment robs hp from the engine, my best guess is the air pump will need maybe 1/2 hp and the air injection will cause reburn out side the combustion chamber which will equal a little bit of back pressure, again with a guess 2 or 3 hp but really who would know? And if it isn't working ?
Here's an idea what is the rated hp on the serial number plate under the bonnet? Is it the same hp as the NZ new 240Z's?
If they are different that maybe the emissions hp losses if any.
Be interesting to see what is said about it as I have been thinking about deleting some of the emissions equipment on the 300zx
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:44 am

Ive got a LHD 1971 240z and i deleted all the emissions crap. Didnt drive it before i took it all off so cant tell you if i noticed a difference but it certainly makes working on it a hell of a lot easier. And it looks tidier too. Id definitely recommend it. Its definitely had zero negative effects and i threw out about a million kg worth of stuff so its definitely lightened her up lol
***** Drive it like you stole it *****

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

Knowing I have a few lumps of steel sitting under the hood doing nothing is playing on my mind. So I will be getting rid of it..

Ill take some pictures for future reference, I also just ordered $400 worth of rubber from MSA that I will be bringing back from the states on my next trip. So the weather seal process and Smog removal will all start in a few weeks!
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Also: Drive throughs by yourself are a little more difficult in a LHD datsun! haha. My girlfriend suggested next time I should reverse through.
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Haha you think drive through is bad, wait until you have to get your ticket for a parking building and then get through before the arm drops down again hahaha!
***** Drive it like you stole it *****

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Maybe its time to invest in one of these for us LHD folk.

GRUNT5.CO.NZ

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:52 pm

grantdavis28 wrote:Maybe its time to invest in one of these for us LHD Folk
And electric windows to make it all work in time. :P
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:26 am

So its time to start sinking some money into the Z, and what Im about to say is probably going to annoy a lot of people. The Z is going to get a series of 'upgrades'

The suspension is sad and old, so its time for a re up. The original springs have sagged alot in the rear giving the car a nose up stance
Im going to go with the tokico gas shocks and the progressive eibach springs all round, I know they arent original but for now they will do nicely. Im 23 and want to enjoy the car for many years and am not worried about it being a little lower or not 100% original,

Im also on the hunt for a set of 15x7or8 et 0 wheels, No the original steel wheels are not for sale. All original parts will be kept and stored, Im want to enjoy driving this car as much as I can so new suspension and tyres will tranform the ride.. im hoping,

I hope I dont get flamed too much for the decisions made :-/ plus if anyone has a set of 15x8 et 0 Watanabe RS i would be very stoked!!!

Regards,

Grant.

GRUNT5.CO.NZ

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:58 am

Decent shocks and well selected springs will make a huge difference and its not as if there's many Z's with original or OEM shocks around, and its a reversible mod.

You shouldn't be too concerned about what others think of your mods, we all have opinions. I kept lotsa stuff off my car thinking it can always go back on. most of it now given away or sold, car is probably past the point of no return back from the future.

In fact sometimes we recite from Dr. Emmett Brown: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.

The cars look good stock, they still look good modded.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:27 pm

That is the same look I am channeling on my Z so naturally I am a fan. Z's are for enjoying rather than being pedantic about so I would do as you please.
72 240z plus bits

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:55 pm

Where does one get watanabes from? im guessing there is no NZ importer?
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:03 pm

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks - God they are nice buy god they are expensive....

unsure if these will cut it... but they may be my only choice..

GRUNT5.CO.NZ

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Did all 240s come with the bumper guards?

Or different models? interested to know, I notice allot around without them..
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:51 pm

grantdavis28 wrote:Did all 240s come with the bumper guards?

Or different models? interested to know, I notice allot around without them..
did depend on market and model but most have removed the over riders as time went by.