1971 240Z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Just jumped on ebay and searched for '240z carpet kit.' It was a pretty cheap kit, only a couple hundred bucks from memory, and came with underlay all ready to just drop into the car. Ive glued mine to the floor coz i dont want it to move. I hate carpet that moves around and im not anticipating needing to remove them for any reason in the near future.

Hahaha, nah the change was just from my pockets. I like to stick loose change in my center console coz i hate having to carry it around. Plus its good to have some coinage for that occasion when you need it ;)
***** Drive it like you stole it *****

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:37 pm

So finally got around to doing my door seals today. Sooooo stoked to finally have doors that seal and dont rattle any more hahaha

Got the seats back in and gave it all a clean and used plenty of silicone spray to make all the plastics nice and black again. She looks a million bucks! Well, at least the inside does haha. Doesnt matter though, god i love this car :)

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Great story Helmut, and i can truly understand your love for your car. The love affair grows stronger as the years go by and the more you drive her. They are such a fun old car, and so simple to work on, and everything you do, no matter how small is an improvement to her, which is somehow rewarded. The grin factor makes every drive a new adventure.
You can understand why some of us are hooked for life.

Brian.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:07 pm

So i was pretty unimpressed with the look and condition of my cam cover and decided to clean it up a little this weekend. Took to her with a wire wheel and some sand paper and then gave her a decent clean. I was originally going to paint it with a product known as 'wrinkle black' which Harley Davidson use to paint their engines. Its basically just a matt black paint that curls up as it dries so it has a wrinkly, textured feel to it. Its a very cool finish if you havent seen it before, especially when you offset it with some shiney polished or machined bits, which i was attempting to do with the NISSAN OHC. Unfortunately its not a very common product and a search of my local paint providers failed to produce any so in the end i just went with the good old trusty etch-prime in matt black. I think it turned out pretty good really.

Heres a before, during, and after shot :)

Unfortunately i couldnt leave well enough alone and now ive damaged the paint around the filler neck so im going to have to repaint it at that end >.< Also, my head is all ready to be reassembled onto the engine, now its just a matter of waiting for my gasket kit to arrive from the US so i can bolt her back together and send her down the road for a drive. Really looking forward to driving her with her nice new carpet and clean interior :D

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:18 pm

That looks good. :D
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:57 am

What an improvement! Looks great.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:43 am

I sprayed that wrinkle paint on my cam cover years ago, I huge problems getting it even then. Can't remembered where I got it though.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Yea, im sure old Pedey painted his one wrinkle black too and i thought it looked fricken awesome. I could have just had some patience and waited till now so i could buy some cans from my old work (Wellington Motorcycles ie Harley dealership) but i just didnt want to wait haha. Once i get started on a job i like to keep going till its done unless i have to stop for lack of parts, etc. The matt black doesnt look too bad though. Im still pretty chuffed. And its only temporary anyway as ive decided to completely rebuild my E31 head with L28 valves and higher compression for the L31 motor im waiting to get from hamilton lol.

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Head all ready to bolt back on. Freshly painted cam cover looks the part on top of a nice clean head :) Grrrr, why cant they teleport my gaskets to me!

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:58 pm

I have a set of standard gaskets and will be in Palmerston North tomorrow if that helps relieve your frustration!

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Sorry old_datto_fan i didnt see your message till just now. I dont know why but my account keeps logging out and i dont get any notifications in my emails anymore. Weird.

Anyways, ive got her all back together now and feeling pretty chuffed except she wont start! Ive checked the cam/crank timing, shes got fuel, sparks good, dizzys good, compressions good. Not sure what else to check now? Cant see any vacuum or other leaks anywhere and not really sure why she wouldnt fire up. Its got me puzzled for sure. If anybody wants to weigh in with some suggestions id greatly appreciate the feedback. Cheers lads and ladesses ;)

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:57 pm

This is a basic and I am sure you have already check but have you got the spark plug leads going to the correct cylinders?
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:17 pm

Above poster might be on to something. The correct firing order for the L6 is.

Here is a pic online of the dizzy layout.

Correct that then try again and let us know how it goes. Also cheak the dizzy drive shaft is not 180 degrees out I have seen that a few times over the years.

Cheers
Mike

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:39 am

Cheers guys. Pic might be a little misleading. The plug order is definitely correct. I checked it again just to make sure but its 100% correct. Id labeled all the leads before disassembly so id get it right but checked again to make sure. This morning i rechecked the dizzy is clean and spinning good which it is. Plugs are correct order. Battery and leads are clean/earthed. No hoses leaking or broken (vacuum leaks). Fuel is definitely getting in the cylinders. Plugs are sparking. Cam and crank are timed right. AAAAAAARGH! Only thing ive got left to RECHECK is the compression but that was good yesterday when i checked so dont know how it would mysteriously be bad now. Im at a loss.

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Does it kick or sound like it is trying to start, or is there nothing just turns over?
It's always a good day when you drive a Z