1971 240Z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:32 pm

Hey thanks man, I've actually bin wondering if there's a decent mechanic in palmy that knows the zed engine well enough to trust them to work on it haha. I did want to get the finishing touches (tuning wise) done by someone with a LOT more experience than me.
***** Drive it like you stole it *****

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:45 pm

So ive done a fair bit since i last posted. The head has been away to the shop and had all new valves and seats fitted, as well as a general clean up and inspection. Apparently its in quite good condition for its age so thats good. I also bought a 5spd gearbox which is sitting in my garage. Pretty keen to get crackin on fitting it ;) but first i need a new wof so i can get into camp and use the hoist. Engine needs a bit of a tune up and i think my timing is a little bit out still so gonna sort that out first and then should fly through a wof.

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:43 pm

So as luck would have it, i was driving to VTNZ for a fresh WOF and all of a sudden my brake booster started leaking in the cabin when id depress the brake. I couldnt believe it! Spent all this time and effort on the engine and then when shes finally running beautifully the booster craps itself. She had a fresh master cylinder fitted but no booster so i guess thats typical. So anyway if anyone has a booster they want to sell me im keen. Cheers. Oh and heres a video of me on the way home from town :)

[video width=420 height=440]http://v8.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=2uh0kyf&s=8[/video]

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:43 pm

Hey guys. Got my booster back from the rebuilders and fit it back into the car. Car runs great now :) and stops too haha. So i did this....

And as luck would have it it didnt pass hahaha! But it wasnt a major. I just had to swap a couple wheels so the tyres matched, re-cable tie one of my steering rack boots which had slipped off, and pinch up a brake line that was oozing a bit. Drove back after doing all that and got my car legalised again! Yusss! Im sure i dont have to tell you guys how good it feels to have a rego and wof on your 45ish year old car haha!

So anyway after doing all that i decided to do something about the sun baked and slightly rusty passenger side door. I sanded her back and sprayed it with a can of white primer i had lying in my garage. My orginal intent was to prime it and then spray the whole door in matt black just to dull down the effect of a glaringly obvious white primered door, but as i stood there shaking my matt black rattle can i had another idea and i hope you guys like the end result. One day, when i can afford it, im going to strip the whole car and get a full panel and paint done to restore her to her original (well hopefully better than original) flawless beauty. But in the mean time im just going to make do with what ive got and that is some art and paint skills and some time and effort ;) Let me know what you guys think. Im guessing ill pretty much just get "love it" or "hate it" but thats ok. Im happy and thats the main thing right?

Like i say, im pretty happy with how it turned out. Only thing im not happy with is all the cross spraying i did to break up the white. Im considering masking off the samurai and the bottom half and lightly spraying across the top in the white primer again to just settle down the "sky." It seems a bit too busy for my liking and all the slashes of paint dont really do anything for it. But thats for another day haha, this took me the better part of a whole day start to finish. Cutting out the stencil was reeeeeally time consuming. I dont think id have bothered if i knew how much work it would take but i guess the result is worth the effort. You get out what you put in. OH! And i finally stuck my Z Club sticker on too.....

Pest

Post by Pest » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Dude

That

Is

Awesome

:shock: :o :D

big sam

Post by big sam » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Amazing! Do the whole car...

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:06 pm

That is sick!! You are wry talented with the stencil making

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:38 pm

that looks brilliant.

schift

Post by schift » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:02 am

Hah, I saw this on my facebook feed and didn't realise it was Z! Nice.
big sam wrote:Amazing! Do the whole car...
Agreed!
2002 Nissan Fairlady Z

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks guys :) I dunno about doing the whole car though. Like i say, its just until she gets a proper panel and paint. Schift, how did you see it on your facebook? Must have a friend in common i guess?

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:20 am

That looks truly magnificent! Great job sir!
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Another lesson has been learnt today haha *facepalm* If your car is making noises or vibrating or thumping or doing ANYTHING it doesnt usually do, investigate why. Do it right away. Dont put it off. Do it as soon as possible. Otherwise you may end up finding out that the thumping noise and vibrating you've been experiencing in your rear end is in fact because the half shaft has completely separated from the companion flange due to the input shaft shearing off completely on the inside (the one with the peened over nut on it). Thats not ideal. And costly to replace. Any thoughts on whether i should just weld the end back on the shaft and bolt it back up? Im not really sure how much force is actually applied through it but i cant imagine it being more than a good weld repair could handle?

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:44 pm

Never heard of it being welded, they do break, think of an upgrade to the later model 260Z hub. I would replace not repair, THEY DO TAKE A HAMMERING. I can supply original 240Z stubs bare for $100 ea. will need you to check diameter and splines to compare and ensure correct part.

djz

Post by djz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:16 pm

That's an interesting breakage. Definitely replace them.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:43 pm

I have some 260Z axles that you could buy if you want to go for the stronger ones.