TAUPO TRACK DAY weekend!! YEAH!! - Saturday 14 February 2015

Ideas, past and coming events
Z Club
Committee Member

Post by Z Club » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:45 pm

We have a box of 100% cotton overalls of mixed sizes that club members may borrow for the day at Taupo.

Also those joining us for the BBQ at Ascot on Friday and Saturday nights, don't forget to bring along sausages, steaks, or whatever you want to eat and drink. May pay to bring a fold up seat to sit on, as we're bbq'ing outside.

We will be preparing a few lunches for those with special dietary requirements.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:53 pm

I won't be able to convoy down with the 11am departure from Auckland. Fome Dome think it's only you, that was meeting at Cambridge?
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

fome dome

Post by fome dome » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:57 am

I won't be able to convoy down with the 11am departure from Auckland. Fome Dome think it's only you, that was meeting at Cambridge?
10 4 Bronzee :)

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Huge thanks to the organisers and helpers for another fantastic track day. Great to catch up with the regulars and to meet some new people.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:45 pm

Yes I enjoyed the barby get together, the generosity of the motel was excellent, hopefully we can book the place out again next year so that walking home drunk will not be an issue.

The pretend sparring on the the track and the trash talk off the track was great fun.

We didn't intend to run the timing at an accuracy level of 1 second but we had misplaced the correct software. :-( The upside of timing accuracy to 1 second is that almost everyone's a winner! Sorry there were 4 Z32 first places! We said it last year and didn't deliver but we do intend to find a a non manual timing system that is accurate and economical.

And thanks for coming, I apologise to anyone who missed out on a certificate, let me know if you need it and I'll send to you.

I had a blast on the track and the car is finally getting some balance with decent shocks, lighter springs and sticky tyres. I am working out a contract with some blokes in sunglasses to make sure Alan Lewis doesn't arrive next year and am employing Anthonys gearbox mechanic again to ensure his car stays on the trailer.
Last edited by Andy on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limezed

Post by limezed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Andy wrote:Yes I enjoyed the barby get together, the generosity of the motel was excellent, hopefully we can book the place out again next year so that walking home drunk will not be an issue.

The pretend sparring on the the track and the trash talk off the track was great fun.

We didn't intend to run the timing at an accuracy level of 1 second but we had misplaced the correct software. :-( The upside of timing accuracy to 1 second is that almost everyone's a winner!.
Yes a big thanks to all the organisers. Another great day had by all.

Shame about the decimal place Andy, but it really felt like my 45s was a 45.1s and I remember thinking to myself at the time that your 44 second run looked more like a 44.9s :o

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:17 pm

sounds like fun was had all around.
how was the wear and tear on the cars. the people.

i have some questions as have never been a participant in a track day.
what should i bring in terms of vehicle needs.. eg. brake pads, extra tyres? that sort of thing.
i would assume hydration is important so what sort of things do people take to stay full themselves.

cheers.

limezed

Post by limezed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Yes hydration is the most important thing. And the real reason most of us go.

limezed

Post by limezed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:40 pm

But seriously the short track is a great one for club days. You aren't really going fast so wear and tear is minimal. Tyres will get hot so street tyres tend to get a little slippery.

There is plenty of run off so you are unlikely to hit anything. Almost no body fell off the track this year. Well nearly nobody eh Tony!

And with exception of Anthony "the breaker" Baker I don't think anyone damaged anything. And Ant's was broken before it got off the trailer.

I guess if you are coming up from Christchurch a spare set of tyres and brake pads. Maybe a oil change or even a full service will be required with all the k's you will travel before you make it to the track.

Maybe some of us northerners need to come down to play at Ruapuna one day.

Really is a great fun day. Well worth coming up if you can and enjoying the area while you up.

Here is a rather un-exciting view of the track on Saturday.
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link ... load_owner

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:02 pm

limezed wrote: Shame about the decimal place Andy, but it really felt like my 45s was a 45.1s and I remember thinking to myself at the time that your 44 second run looked more like a 44.9s :o
Yes it's funny when the perception you have can be totally the opposite of what is factual.... cause I could have sworn I did a 44.01 and I looked at your 45.99 lap and yup sure enough mine must have been a 44.01.

limezed

Post by limezed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:16 pm

Mate to be honest I'm happy to be within 5 seconds of your time.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:18 pm

limezed wrote:Yes hydration is the most important thing. And the real reason most of us go.
Yes I enjoyed the hydration on Friday and Saturday nights, so much so I hydrated again on Sunday night.

fome dome

Post by fome dome » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:24 am

ChrisP wrote:sounds like fun was had all around.
how was the wear and tear on the cars. the people.

i have some questions as have never been a participant in a track day.
what should i bring in terms of vehicle needs.. eg. brake pads, extra tyres? that sort of thing.
i would assume hydration is important so what sort of things do people take to stay full themselves.

cheers.
First of all Thank you to the organisers & the Ascot motel for their hospitality was a awesome weekend :D

Having good brakes & even getting a wheel alignment is important, make sure the car doesn't have any oil or coolant leaks.
I take a small water bottle in a chilly bag does the trick.
The only down side of the day was fuel consumption, used nearly 1/2 a tank on the track.
Worked out it used an average 21L per 100 km that included the drive down from Hamilton :shock:

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:51 am

I would just like to say thanks to all those who participated in this event. Controlling the pits was by far the easiest I have ever done. Great cooperation from all the drivers. It turns the event into something very pleasurable.

I would also like to thank our fellow committee members. Everybody did their job well and it all add up to very successful event.

Thanks to those that took part in the Marshaling. This is bit of a thankless task, although a very important job tat these events. again my thanks.

The lunches raised about $400.00 That goes toward the Shine program. This is a program that my daughter co-ordinates and is run in conjunction with the schools, basically they mentor and help Children that may not have had the best upbringing. This is a very valuable program to the schools.
Bernie Kant
Club President

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:46 pm

Good idea to change your brake fluid if it hasn't been done for a while. If its a bit old, the boiling point could be quite low and its a bit disconcerting when the pedal goes to the floor because the fluid has boiled! As I found out......
I zero'd the fuel computer in my car at the start of one track session and it showed 3.0 kms/litre after I crossed the finish line. On a trip it usually sits around 10.
Thanks to the organisers for a great day out.