Post by Type1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi

I would like to get some advise on clutch replacement on a 350z

should I stay with duel mass flywheel or soild fly wheel

exedy have 2 options

many thanks

S13 Silvia

Post by S13 Silvia » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:49 pm

I'd recomend staying with the Dual mass flywheel, I went the lightweight route and regret it for daily use. You may or may not be aware of the whirring noise that you hear around 1500rpm without the DMF. Personal prefernece at the end of the day.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Welcome to the forum. Is the clutch ok, not on the way out? Bite point on the stock clutch is fairly high.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

bugjuice

Post by bugjuice » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:18 pm

S13 Silvia wrote:I'd recomend staying with the Dual mass flywheel, I went the lightweight route and regret it for daily use. You may or may not be aware of the whirring noise that you hear around 1500rpm without the DMF. Personal prefernece at the end of the day.
Why do you regret it for daily use? My clutch is ok at the mo, but it had come to mind about when the time comes, I'd like a freer revving engine and thought about doing this

S13 Silvia

Post by S13 Silvia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:18 pm

bugjuice wrote:
S13 Silvia wrote:I'd recomend staying with the Dual mass flywheel, I went the lightweight route and regret it for daily use. You may or may not be aware of the whirring noise that you hear around 1500rpm without the DMF. Personal prefernece at the end of the day.
Why do you regret it for daily use? My clutch is ok at the mo, but it had come to mind about when the time comes, I'd like a freer revving engine and thought about doing this
Because of the noise around 1500rpm that you get due to having a SMF, It can get quite irritating, DMF gets rid of that vibration. For a weekend car that does mostly open road driving it's definitely worth considering as you won't be down in that rev range often. I'll see if I can find a youtube vid for you to get a better idea.

Note I am quite fussy, it may not really bother some people.

Type1

Post by Type1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:41 am

Thanks for the advise! The clutch feels abit high

So I was thinking replacing it soon

Is my weekend fun car. The reason I ask, a few of my mate said
DMF can fail easily.

350ZEB

Post by 350ZEB » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:03 am

single mass definitely more reliable if you are going to be hard on it, depending on how much you are considering spending / future power upgrades, consider a multiplate clutch.

Type1

Post by Type1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:28 pm

no plan at this stage.

Type1

Post by Type1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 pm

clutch done! went with nismo single mass flywheel kits.

love it!

thanks for helping out.