Targa North Island (Rotorua)

Events that other clubs or organization have arranged.
Z Club
Committee Member

Targa North Island (Rotorua)

Post by Z Club » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Auckland - Whitianga - Rotorua
(Subject to council approval)

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:34 am

With a blend of Targa Bambina and Targa Rotorua, this is stacking up to be an exciting event with a couple of main highway closures in the Coromandel, plenty of runs in the Upper Waikato closer to Auckland and around 470 competition km's finishing with the best sprint ever through Rainbow Valley just outside Rotorua. Maps will be on the Targa Site soon but classic car magazine has a low res version in the meantime. Buildlink is running a spectator support vehicle and will be feeding and sheltering spectators at selected spectator points. This may be one of the last "blind" rallies from Targa as the pace notes in the Ecolight Sprint received almost universal support from competitors. The 6 day event is being run in the South Island this year so this is your only chance to see the Targa Fleet in the North Island.

Day One: Starts with a leisurely tour from the Simunovich Olive Estate, to the event’s first stage.Then a familiar 10km blast over smooth rural roads although there is a bit of a nasty steep downhill section to the finish. This is followed by a new take on an old favourite road, smooth, flowing all the way. The first service follows this in the lovely village of Te Kauwhata before tackling the demanding Lake Stage with a new longer finish. Once again like all these upper Waikato roads, this is smooth and flowing.A short blast follows this stage back into the Te Kauwhata Village for a well-earned lunch. Back again, for another lash at the extended Lake Road, before we tour over towards Thames and the stage with the very very acute corner onto a concrete based ford. Hey !! we are now in winter and maybe the ford will have water this year. After a service in the main street of Thames, onto one of the most insane stages there are, winding up and over a mountain range 10kms of sideways heaven.The day finishes in the lovely town of Whitianga, with parking overnight this time in town, outside the bars and restaurants. 120 plus Stage kms for the day.

Day two: Starts just 20kms out of Whitianga on the main highway with a 12km “up and over” the hills, finishing in Tairua. This bit of State Highway has never been closed off before for competition (one wonders how does Peter do it !!) This will no doubt be a bit of a wake-up call. Staying up late the previous night may not be a good idea ! Then on to the Golden Downs stage before a service in the Waihi Sports Ground. A loop around the back of Waihi before we tour to a 38km stage in the Cambridge area. Smooth, demanding, and totally a drivers delight. This stage alone is well worth having an entry into the event. However as an extra bonus, this year we stop for lunch at the Hobbiton, venue with a short guided tour being organised for crews. What a wonderful location this is !! After lunch a short tour to another old favourite, narrow, tight and tricky with the odd gravelly patch. Much care needed. Then we get to do the 38km Cambridge stage all again, so see if you can beat your first time ! A tour to Lake Arapuni Village for a much needed service is followed by the last stage of the day, backwards this year, and totally unfamiliar. Starts with a winding hillclimb then on to open and flowing with a tricky downhill section. Care needed throughout.
The day finishes at Rotorua.170 plus Stage kms.

Day three: Starts with a 40km Stage south of Rotorua using the roads that have now become icons. You may experience sun strike, damp slippery tracks, kept moist by overgrown pine trees, many many intersections and a hydro power dam This is not a stage that allows any relaxation all the way till the flying finish, otherwise it may bite back, with damaging consequences. A few kms up the road we start the next stage, but at just 21kms should be a doddle, on more open and faster roads, but with a very tight and winding finish. Note however this road is also not to be taken lightly, especially if wet.
A much needed service in the Ngakuru Village will be followed by a visit to these two stages all over again. Well at least the morning dew will have hopefully dried – Yeah Right. Lunch will be back in Rotorua before the 35km stage over Whakatane way. This should give you a clue !! Ok this is the Manawahe stage but no more shortened versions, this year the full McCoy. Smooth, flowing with fast and winding bits, this must be one of the best Targa stages. No argument. A service in Edgecumbe is followed by the Hamurana challenge, so don’t go off into the lake. Very challenging, tight and twisty and flat out in places. Super slippery if wet.Then onto the last stage of the day: Around Mt Ngongotaha, narrow, tight and winding, untold spectators all the way to finish just before Paradise Valley Springs. Targa Heaven.
Short tour to the Official Finish in Rotorua. 180 plus Stage kms
This wraps up possibly our most exciting compact event ever !!

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri May 09, 2014 4:58 pm

We had another go at TV at the Targa North Island shakedown, was a great day http://youtu.be/5ePU62u52Ww

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Very cool Andy. :lol:
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

limezed

Post by limezed » Fri May 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Superstar, must get an autograph next time

Try to remember us little fellas. Good luck,

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri May 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Yes autographs available but only on documents and clothing, no bare skin ok

big sam

Post by big sam » Sat May 10, 2014 7:13 am

Or z bonnets? You're a natural Andy, you should have your own show :D

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sat May 10, 2014 8:38 am

Your the man Andy. A star to the last. Get that 240 in the pics good for the car.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue May 13, 2014 9:16 pm

O.K. Targa Promotions have published excellent high resolution stage/spectator maps here http://targa.co.nz/community so if you Auckland Waikato folk want to skive off on Friday I can recommend a well placed dry cough when ringing the boss/business partner/receptionist/client and telling them what ever it is you have is extremely contagious, the cat dropped dead after you sneezed and certain parts of your body have actually turned orange.
BuildLink are barbequeing their way through the three days and on Day 1 will be in the middle of Stage 3 and 5 at the spectator point at the most southern point of the lake, go and grab a sausage!
Day 2 will start at the top of the Coromandel, so if you're in the area and can't get anywhere, its because Targa closed the main road!....twice in one day.
Day 3 is all Rotorua based.

Car is ready apart from a on hoist spanner check by the crew tomorrow night to find those things I had forgotten. Rear wheel bearings renewed last night, neighbours not very understanding regarding air tools at 9.00pm.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Tue May 13, 2014 10:08 pm

And don't forget that there are two club Z's in the Tour too. I'm sure both Kevin in the 300ZX and myself would love to chat to any Z owners at any of the stops.

For a change my car has been all ready to go for a few days mainly because I've had Roskilda Autos in Palmerston North make a few small changes after my accelerator pedal broke at Manfeild a few weeks ago. So I cheated and got them to do the usual spanner check, bleed the brakes, check the fluids etc etc.

We are trailering the car to Rotorua tomorrow and then driving the rest of the way on Thursday. And if you are wondering why we are trailering a Tour car, then you drive home down the Desert Road on Sunday night with no heater. I'm getting old and soft!

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue May 13, 2014 10:49 pm

Yes, alot of Z Club folk as drivers, co-drivers, volunteers, officials, it's just I'm the loudest ! Look forward to seeing you out there Mike, look after our tour rookie in the Online Logistics GT86, he needs your guidance. Dan is running with Zane, Rod Coppin's nephew as a navigator. Smart move leaving the trailer in Rotorua.
Last edited by Andy on Mon May 19, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu May 15, 2014 8:28 am

If we were to head down to Rotorua for the Sunday stages, which will be the best ones to watch?
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu May 15, 2014 8:42 am

15, 17, 20 are the most accessable, 21 is a walk in but very fast Paradise Valley

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon May 19, 2014 2:48 pm

We have arrived home intact, not the best performance to date, the reconfiguration not as successful as expected. However we did come second in the Index of Performance for Classic, which caught me by surprise, the Zed has certainly got some real straight line speed. We were 4th in our Category 2 and I think 6th in classic overall. Car ran faultlessly. We were the only competiton car to complete SS11 as the stage was closed after the second car through demolished a power pole and blocked the road. I'll leave others to report their adventures.
Last edited by Andy on Mon May 19, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buster

Post by Buster » Mon May 19, 2014 3:42 pm

Andy wrote:the Zed has certainly got some real straight line speed.
I'll second that. The locals at SS19 start (Manawahe) were certainly impressed - and surprised I think.

You clearly gave it a bit of a squirt leaving the roundabout at SH36 on to SH5 going to Paradise Valley - I was impressed. Looked real good. So surprised to see the Buildlink 240z flying across right to left in front of us. A real treat for any z enthusiast.