Documenting the journey, '69 240z & 71 240Z + others

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
SR240Z

Re: Documenting the journey, '69 240z & 71 240Z + others

Post by SR240Z » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:04 am

Got FZ back home, pretty happy - its been over a decade! Still waiting on a few parts to arrive and a few things to tidy up now the upholstery is almost complete.

https://imgur.com/a/M6Rtjy4

Plan is to now find a new windscreen (has a pretty nasty crack), fit the windscreen trim and tidy up the console area, need to dye and re plate the luggage straps as well. there is a little bit of paint tidy up to do which was planned before the upholstery but stars didn't align on that

Need to start thinking about how far I am going to go with respect to a cert (needed for brakes anyway) so I will most likely do a R180 LSD with CVs and possibly coil overs - I think I am right at the limit on ride height for standard springs

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:53 am

Final few parts have arrived some have been a bit of a nightmare to get and ship but we finally got the rear trim for around the gaurd (behind the seat), indicator light rubbers and the correct door window chrome moulding

Windscreen was sorted and hopefully end of the week we will be looking pretty complete :)

https://imgur.com/a/JtvgedO

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:18 am

Pretty happy to finally get the window trim in, took a new windscreen but we got there and I am pretty happy not to find any surprises under the rubbers

Now she is water tight she might even get a wash !

https://imgur.com/a/kW6uVrZ

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:08 pm

Your car is absolutely stunning, You will need to doa club display day once completed to show it off.
Bernie Kant
Club President

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:57 am

Thanks Bernie thats very much appreciated, she is far from perfect but getting closer

Latest pics after a wash; https://imgur.com/a/YQ418LG

Slow progress of late but progress nonetheless, bumpers have been fitted properly along with the wheel panel trim (behind the seat) and Euro splitter and

Few things left to do and a few more trivial things to finish off like re-plating some items, emblems and paint tidy up on the RHS door, rear spoiler and front valance

About to go down the rabbit warren of sidedrafts, exhaust, R180 LSD and possibly coil overs as I am committed to a cert anyway - Gearbox will come out for a freshen up as well

Great just to be able to give her a wash to be honest!

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:36 pm

Looking awesome.
Will be a fantastic car when done.

What about the race car, what's the plan for that?
Any specific series you intend to race in, or just a fun car for the occasional outing?
I have no idea what class to run mine in once it is alive and kicking (Winter time this year), its just built for fun...
Maybe the Japanese series?
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:08 pm

Cheers for that much appreciated

Ahh the race car..... I'll be honest I don't know 😕 I still have a number of things to finish that are taking way longer than expected for various reasons I am a bit over it all to be honest hence the drive to finsh the road car and purchase of a mental health boat - need something back!

Hopefully the race car gearbox should be back in the next month or so (said that 18 months ago 🤦) and she will be back out on track. I used to run a grp A corolla in the ACJS which was great fun but it did get a little "rubbing is racing" in the end and that was a real turn off to be honest.. I'll make an assessment closer to the time and worst case the white z will go steel gaurds/headlights, headliner and I'll try get into a classic series, absolute worst case I have another Z race car which might see a rotisserie build for that cause 🤣

stevenewenham
Z Club Member

Post by stevenewenham » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:19 am

The road car is looking great, so good to see steady progress.

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:53 pm

I know what you mean, I had a 5 year break from my race car, and then wanted to get rid of it.
Just took some motivation to get back into it to get it done.

I may give the ACJS a go once its all done, I see my car can comply with the rules, just need to get some different tyres.
But don't want the 'rubbing' part... just want some fun.

What gearbox are you running that needs parts?
I went from a Nismo S15 6spd to a Holinger 6 spd sequential. Bit of an overkill... but was a spur of a moment thing...
:)
Cheers Grant
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Tue May 10, 2022 9:48 am

Have a F5C71-B Nissan 'Sports Option' dog box in the white car - its kind of part of the "investment" to one day have a period 240z that can run in classics, have everything I need for it, needed new 5th gear and just a freshen up.

Bit of a change for the red car I have decided to go for injection, I said I never would but I have aged 20 years in the last 2 (still 34 lol) and seeing the car come together has made me want to use it more often. Going down the route on Jenvey Heritage ITBs with haltech 750 ECU which Hitech motorsport will fit once the parts land. Appreciate any do's or donts from anyone who has done this before

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed May 11, 2022 2:41 pm

You won't regret changing to fuel injection. I fuel injected my 260Z 2+2.. I have a link computer and retain the standard electronic distributor. I used 280ZX inlet manifold, shaving of the parts not needed. Starts up first turn and runs perfectly. I had the work done by Hitech Motorsport.
Bernie Kant
Club President

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Fri May 13, 2022 9:49 am

Hi Bernie, yes I spoke to Grady the other day and he referenced your car. I have some good contacts in the Haltech world so looking at a Haltech ECU. Its not cheap but wow pricing has come back alot from where it used to be. I cant see any down side to going "distrubutorless" at this stage given whats available nowadays.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri May 13, 2022 12:26 pm

I think you are right mine was done a guess about 6 years ago. Grady also fitted the Silvia gearbox for me. both these were really worthwhiole upgrades. I am also running a Subaru R180 LSD diff with conversion stubs which I got from the States.
Bernie Kant
Club President

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Thu May 26, 2022 7:10 pm

What was the main improvements on the Silvia box Bernie? I am up for a rebuild may be worthwhile considering.. I think I have an R31 box on the shelf but need to better understand the difference, must be a 71b amd the Silvia a 71c?

Ordered the 40mm heritage itbs and haltech just need to source a suitable manifold and throttle cable arrangement

Crank angle its easy but need to figure out what options I have for camshaft position, there is the common jeep trigger but I am not sure, idle control valve also needs some thought

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sat May 28, 2022 3:00 pm

I don't really know what the differences are between the boxes. I got the Silvia one because it was available from another club member. The difference over the standard box is just that it's much nicer to use. They are basically the same boxes but the newer one is just better all round. Never regretted the change.
Bernie Kant
Club President