Documenting the journey, '69 240z & 71 240Z + others

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
SR240Z

Re: Documenting the journey, '69 240z & 71 240Z + others

Post by SR240Z » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:24 pm

Ha no but it will be if I don't get her finished soon 🤣

First track day after new oil pump, top tune and and cam grind. Went well although oil temp is an issue after 3 laps so I either have lack of oil cooler efficiency or wrong oil

Engine builder reccomend 15w-50 penrite full zinc

Any way good to get her out there, first time at Hampton downs in about 6 years

Off to bathurst for my first time so back out for the next test day as soon as I get back and hope to make round 3 off the ACC series

http://imgur.com/a/ziKSgIL

http://imgur.com/a/3WzRVJo

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:38 pm

After nearly selling or burning the Race Z I got the motivation to get it out to Pukekohe this weekend for a hoon, she ran well and I quickly released the 3.9 diff ratio was the wrong choice running out of revs very very early. Main goal was to try a duct I made up in a hurry to see if my oil temps were cooler with some fresh oil, unfortunately it didnt make much of a difference so will look at relocating it once and for all.

Car was hooked up and ran well for the limited laps I had but a fuel leak from #1 carb and no parts or energy to repair cut the day short

All in all a great day and it's funny how many people came up for a chat about the car and how much they loved it, never experienced that with this old girl before

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:40 pm

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:31 pm

SR240Z wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:38 pm After nearly selling or burning the Race Z I got the motivation to get it out to Pukekohe this weekend for a hoon, she ran well and I quickly released the 3.9 diff ratio was the wrong choice running out of revs very very early. Main goal was to try a duct I made up in a hurry to see if my oil temps were cooler with some fresh oil, unfortunately it didnt make much of a difference so will look at relocating it once and for all.

Car was hooked up and ran well for the limited laps I had but a fuel leak from #1 carb and no parts or energy to repair cut the day short

All in all a great day and it's funny how many people came up for a chat about the car and how much they loved it, never experienced that with this old girl before
Interest in Z's seems to be increasing, hopefully a good thing. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:23 pm

Nice to see it on the track.
Hopefully i'll get out there one day for the odd lap as well.
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:16 pm

Its frustrating but feels good when you do! A very wise man once told me and I am slowly learning the truth of it

"He who is worried about looks never gets to race"

So changes on the Z cooking package underway big push to make 1st of March race meeting at pukekohe

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:43 pm

SR240Z wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:16 pm
"He who is worried about looks never gets to race"
Yes agreed totally, we gotta lotta racing done with cable ties, race tape, poor panel fit and "prototype" wiring. Ever since deciding to make the vehicle presentable it's sat in the shed!

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:05 pm

:D my dad always joked we should call ourselves 40ft racing because from 40ft the car looked awesome!

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:51 pm

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:52 pm

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:53 pm

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Cars straight into pieces again :lol:

Racing to make next test day and hopefully first race meeting 1st march, bit frustrating the next test day is a different track configuration to what I'll be running 1st of March, looking at going to a 3.7 diff ratio for the short pukekohe track on the 21st but no idea what I'll run for the long back straight

Last edited by SR240Z on Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:01 pm

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:42 pm

Back on track with the radiator and oil mounted more conventionally, had also found that the diff ratio (which had been chucked in on the dyno in a hurry) was set as a 4.3 not 3.9... :lol: counting down to next test session just a few minor issues to sort out being a small fuel weap, gearbox temperature sensor (extension of the loom) and a few motec issues, seems to only be recording x2 lap times and I have no brake pressure mapping, mjnornbut annoying!

Praying for good weather this COULD be the first test day I've had where I can actually push the car without something stopping me

http://imgur.com/a/HVrH060

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:42 am

Well Covid-19 has had fun with all us

Last track day was the first time out with the newly mounted radiator, oil cooler and diff ratio. Much to my disappointment there was very little difference in oil temp and I am now settling on the check valve (I have in the system to prevent the Accusump pushing oil back through the oil cooler as recommended by the supplier) is restricting oil flow. It is a -10 check valve but still restrictive I suppose.

Had a few good laps and the car felt good under cold tyres (could only get about 5 laps before oil temp crept up). I have since removed the check valve and had planned to re-test but work and Covid have put a stop to those plans! Hopefully the next test day i can put this issue to bed and we can look at racing the car for the first time in a long time.

Looking forward to pushing the car at pace and learning its ways, with another x3 projects on the go I need a reliable car that I can just run :lol:

Hoping to have our Reynard 91D engine back once we are back to some sort of normality as the aim is to have the car completed over winter and on the market which will enable to me to complete my road 240z and enjoy it.

Photos on Insta@ads08g