clutch release bearing carrier help please

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
Pedey

clutch release bearing carrier help please

Post by Pedey » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:10 am

So I've screwed the pooch a little bit, went to put everything back in the car this weekend, and I've misplaced the clutch release bearing and, more importantly, the carrier. Spent the rest of the weekend looking for it to no avail, so I've now realised the sad truth: it's gone.

I've done a bit of research, spoke to a couple of people - It seems that finding a new carrier is going to be a problem, as there are many different lengths etc. The L28 runs a 225mm flywheel/clutch, and a 280ZX five speed gearbox - does anyone know what size carrier I need and if I can find one? I understand it's not that simple however, but any thoughts from the experts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

djz

Post by djz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Did you look in the front of the gearbox? Haha :)

I might have one around, there's only really two types that you need to worry about if you are using a 5 speed, if you are using the 225mm clutch I think it's the longer one that you need.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:59 pm

djz wrote:Did you look in the front of the gearbox? Haha :)

I might have one around, there's only really two types that you need to worry about if you are using a 5 speed, if you are using the 225mm clutch I think it's the longer one that you need.
Imagine that... But yes, the job of locating it is made all the more difficult because of all the different cars I test for work - I even went as far as calling Subaru and Nissan to see if I left it in one of their media cars. No luck.

As for your suggestion, if that narrows it down somewhat, that'd be helpful. Do you have any idea where I might look to confirm that info?

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:49 am

Hi

Give me a call. (0274-976-951) You are welcome to come around and have a look at what I have. Just had a quick look, there are at least seven of them here and four different lengths, some with bearings that are OK.

Anthony

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Just an update - I've picked up another clutch collar from Andy - he has a feeling it's the right one, and after measuring it up, I think he might be right. Measurments match up to this one available from MSA Auto:

MSA Clutch Collar

Which is the part listed for "75-83 Z/ZX Coupe Non Turbo". My car is a 75 280ZX with, from what I understand, a 280ZX 81-83 5-speed gearbox and standard style clutch.