New rotors up front and pads all round

350Z
netrover

New rotors up front and pads all round

Post by netrover » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14 pm

I've been told I'll need new front rotors, and pads all round in the near future.

Should I replace with stock items or be a little adventurous and try something different?

What are the options and what are the benefits of something different? An indication of costs would be good too.
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:32 am

Ring up Race Brakes have a chat to them. There are lots of good aftermarket options for our 350's for pads. DBA rotors are great.

http://www.racebrakes.co.nz/home.html
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Pest

Post by Pest » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:56 pm

I have some DBA slotted rotors and race pads that I bought from Race Brakes that were on my Maxima (same fitment as a 350Z) They have very little wear, I switched them back with the standard items before I sold the car.

They're great and can be had for a reasonable price if you're interested.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:40 pm

There is a difference in size between Track and Touring spec pads and rotors in the earlier DE model 350.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

netrover

Post by netrover » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:44 pm

BRONZEE wrote:Ring up Race Brakes have a chat to them. There are lots of good aftermarket options for our 350's for pads. DBA rotors are great.

http://www.racebrakes.co.nz/home.html
Thanks. I'll give them a call.

netrover

Post by netrover » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

OK, I've just had my DBA rotors and Ferodo pads delivered. Heavy little suckers!

I guess the next step is to find a place to install these new bits on a labour only basis. Can anyone give me an idea as to what cost I should expect for this from a good operator?

Can the Christchurch based team recommend who I could get to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Taryon

Post by Taryon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:17 pm

I recommend DBA as well :)

If you lived in the north island I could do it for you :?
It is a relatively simple process and can save you quite a bit of money by DIYing should you choose to learn how :)
I would have no idea of costs sorry

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Steve Welford Automotive, in Sydenham, is a good operator. Not the cheapest, but he runs a good, clean workshop. He appreciates Z's (and other nice cars). If you do go there, ask for him and tell him I sent you.

Good luck; looking forward to hearing about the results.

Chris
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast

netrover

Post by netrover » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks Chris.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Looked up the DIY guides on my350Z.com and reckon Jared (son) and I can do this. He is far more technical than I am and has all the tools. Just need some high temp grease and we're away! I'll do the difficult stuff like jacking up the car and taking the wheel off, and see how he goes from there.

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:14 pm

netrover wrote:Looked up the DIY guides on my350Z.com and reckon Jared (son) and I can do this. He is far more technical than I am and has all the tools. Just need some high temp grease and we're away! I'll do the difficult stuff like jacking up the car and taking the wheel off, and see how he goes from there.
I think you should also be responsible for testing the cold beer while Jared does it... ;-)
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast

jam350z

Post by jam350z » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:30 pm

How did you get on? Would be happy to help for a few hours if you need another set of hands. If you go to Safe R Brakes on Fitzgerald Ave, ask somebody in the parts department for Wurth Brake Paste... it comes in a sachet for a few bucks and is ideal for your slides, and between the shims/piston/pad interfaces. Make sure you change the fluid whilst you're there.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:52 am

kirihi wrote:
netrover wrote: I think you should also be responsible for testing the cold beer while Jared does it... ;-)
I'll need one after all my hard work.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:56 am

jam350z wrote:How did you get on? Would be happy to help for a few hours if you need another set of hands. If you go to Safe R Brakes on Fitzgerald Ave, ask somebody in the parts department for Wurth Brake Paste... it comes in a sachet for a few bucks and is ideal for your slides, and between the shims/piston/pad interfaces. Make sure you change the fluid whilst you're there.
Thanks for the offer jam350z.

We will probably do it next weekend I think. I'll PM you if we get stuck, but I think we will be OK.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Fitted the new rotors and pads today. No problems. Polished up the brembos.

Had to remove some fluid after pressing the pistons back in.

Took it out for a gentle drive. No squeaks or noises but I guess it will take a few hundred kms before they are working at their best. Not quite the stopping power yet.