Air intake system

350Z
Ben1O

Air intake system

Post by Ben1O » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi there,

Looking at getting an air intake system for my 03 Z, any suggestions?

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:36 pm

Most of the after market intakes don't perform as well as the stock. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it's my two penith. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

S13 Silvia

Post by S13 Silvia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 pm

As Bronzee said, high quality panel filter in the factory airbox is the best option. The VQ doesn't have much induction noise even with most aftermarket intakes. Unless it's for aesthetics, in which case just go and look at pictures.

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 am

Ditto to the above. With the reservation that no other alterations are made.

Most overseas forums will also proclaim the increased induction noise as the only real noticeable perk of fitting a POD filter to the 350z.
I too will conclude that a Pod + heat shield => waste of money on a stock 350z engine/daily driver.

Aftermarket filter systems will claim a tuned velocity stack to increase velocity and decrease turbulence. This is only beneficial if you can supply cold air which is problematic in a toasty 350z engine bay. The best solution for the tuners (and probably claimed results) is to put a nasty big hole in the bumper akin to what some of the aftermarket fascias feature.

I will attest that Poly Urethane Foam type filters may offer more flow and probably claim better filtration. However this type of filter is not maintenance free and requires cleaning or replacement often in order to maintain such expectations.
Your call as to if this outweighs any benefit or potential in manufactures claim of increase HP

In my opinion for a daily - the dry type filters are the better option and the required choice when located within an enclosed engine bay.

Oil soaked filter types can interfere with MAF sensors.
(Particularly those fitted on shortened intakes where oil residue forced off the filter will eventually mar the MAF sensor.)

I have different experiences with aftermarket 300zx intakes (and other models) where a differing configuration/air supply area/space may better justify the PODs potential improvement.

CroneOne

Post by CroneOne » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Check out this video where these guys attempt to bust the cold air intake on the dyno.
They made some super small gains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

I put in the JWT pop charger from conceptZperformance which is just a short ram intake.
I know I'll probably lose
power but I'm all about getting the car sonically sweet. Honestly I didn't
notice much of a power loss after my install.

Check it out - a slight deeper sound and a bit of a suction effect....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyGDI2se46U