Questions about the 350z

350Z
cobsl

Questions about the 350z

Post by cobsl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 am

Hi Guys,

I hoping someone could help me out here. Im looking at buying a 350z 2002-2005 either manual or automatic, Im quite tight on my budget so would only be able to spend about 15k-20k. Could anyone tell me any potential problems which occur quite frequently with higher km 350'z say around the 100,000km mark and how much it roughly cost? and could anyone tell me how much it roughly cost for maintenance i.e breakpads, spark plugs etc.

Thanks in advance.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:55 am

cobsl wrote:I hoping someone could help me out here. Im looking at buying a 350z 2002-2005 either manual or automatic, Im quite tight on my budget so would only be able to spend about 15k-20k. Could anyone tell me any potential problems which occur quite frequently with higher km 350'z say around the 100,000km mark and how much it roughly cost? and could anyone tell me how much it roughly cost for maintenance i.e breakpads, spark plugs etc.
Welcome to the forum. If you look to the higher end at 20k you might be buying a few less problems given the oldest ones (Jap imports) are 11 years old now.
There are a number 350's coming through now that have crank position sensor, throttle position sensor, window motor/s, fan motors, knock position sensors. If an auto box has been properly serviced when it should have been, they generally don't have any issues. Given you're looking a higher mileage one, 2nd and 5th gear syncro's can be prone to going.

A lot of them are running incorrectly sized tyres, thusly this upsets the Traction Control (TCS) and will see the TCS cutting in frequently or the TCS light illuminated almost permanently.

If there are any engine management lights showing, you can do what we term the "peddle dance", have a look through the threads to do a manual find for the fault codes.

Tyres are another reasonable expense given the tyres are wider than your stock runabout. Once again, prices vary, and with a car that can be rather touchy if you put rubbish tyres on, put on the best you can.

Cost for maintenance, brake pads and rotors and fluid, spark plugs, depends where you are and where you get it serviced, whether it be at a Nissan dealer or a private mechanic or through a group buy. I will also mention that paid up members of the Zclub receive a number of extremely useful discounts (if you want to find out what they are, join the club). :wink:

There are many 350's over in the UK and the US that have some fairly hefty amounts of mileage (given they tend to do more mileage than we do), 200k miles or near 300k miles. So probably more mileage than any 350's will ever do in NZ.

Happy hunting, and flick up a link if you find a 350 of interest. We know a fair number of the ones out there.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Just another quick thought, another common thing to start playing up is the airbag connectors underneath the seats. Is usually a fairly easy fix, fiddling around under the seat to ensure they're reconnected properly. If they aren't can also set of the christmas tree on the dash.
Next - Z Club events:

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 am

A concerning issues I came across as to purchasing a 350z is the tire feathering/or wheel alignment specs on the earlier models. The 350Z is reportly sensitive to being of an exact wheel alignment spec.
The suspension geometry (from what I've read) gets a revision in 2005 which lessens or addresses the tire feathering issue.

I believe noticeable tire noise is common to all 350z. I'd deem it inherent of the coupes large open cabin trunk space and the absence of noise deadening material in the fenders. But some tyres are certainly more audible than others.

Base, Track, Touring, Grand Touring packages may also influence the asking price.
LSD, traction control, and VDC (vehicle dynamic control) being speced to only certain models/packages.

Late 2005+ models have significant changes such as Bi-Xenon HID headlights, LED brake lights, facelift, interior and various mechanical revisions, etc. Engine and transmission also received changes throughout the years noteably the Rev Up engine (manual only) from late 2005 and HighRev (Completly different engine to previous years) from 2007+.

Another factor I came across when 350Z shoppin is that some smell like taxis. Past owners smoking is a $*#&* to banish the smell from the roof liner!

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:00 pm

ZILVER wrote:Another factor I came across when 350Z shoppin is that some smell like taxis. Past owners smoking is a $*#&* to banish the smell from the roof liner!
You can try a container of open with baking soda in it (obviously not in something that will tip over, drink holder would work well), should help remove some of the undesirable scent.
Next - Z Club events:

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 pm

I sprinkled baking soda everywhere then left overnight.I then completly removed the head liner from the car and washed it twice!
All good now and such knocked a further 1k from the asking price for complaining about the smell.

Taryon

Post by Taryon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:48 pm

The 2005-2006 facelift 7000 rpm redline manual Z also apparently has oil consumption issues :)

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:24 am

From what I've heard that oil consumption issue for that period is a random hit or miss.
Only can guess what causes it or as to a remedy.
Probably some electrical vodoo / engine manegment tuning involved?

Taryon

Post by Taryon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:45 pm

ZILVER wrote:From what I've heard that oil consumption issue for that period is a random hit or miss.
Only can guess what causes it or as to a remedy.
Probably some electrical vodoo / engine manegment tuning involved?
Indeed! Fortunately my 05 facelift Z did not come with it :)

cobsl

Post by cobsl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. Ive had a look around and I found this which fits my price range quite well. What do you guys think about it?
trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/nissan/fairlady/auction-607619185.htm

Taryon

Post by Taryon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:55 pm

That's a pretty good price for a facelift one with updated lights, bumper, interior and brakes. Though being automatic you wont have to worry about the chance of oil consumption issues in the revup engine.
Being a tad over 100k kms you may have to do some maintainence eg bushings and such.

Overall i think a good car for the price :)

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:50 pm

I'd say if it all checks out the that is a great price! prob one of the better deals currently on Trademe even though its a base model spec.
Colour suits it -
I'd say go check it out quick! :)

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Looks fine. I'd still get it AA checked. :wink: If they spot anything, could use that as bargaining point to knock the price down.
Next - Z Club events:

Jibber

Post by Jibber » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:05 pm

Here's another that might be worth a look, and its just down the road in Hamilton, slightly lower milage:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 318980.htm

Jibber

Post by Jibber » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:08 pm

Here's another that might be worth a look, and its just down the road in Hamilton, slightly lower milage:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 318980.htm