Hello

New to the site? Say hello here!
Old_timer

Hello

Post by Old_timer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Hello all, I'm an old Z fan from way back. Had a 240z in the late 70s and have regretted parting with it ever since. Now that I am older and have a little discretionary income (don't tell my kids or the bank) I am planning to get another 240 or 260 later in the year. Hopefully a decent runner but also something that I can tinker around with. Have started lurking on this site to see whats happening in this space and hope to pick a few brains once I've acquired something.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Welcome to the forum. Your secret is safe with us. :wink: Good luck with your search, you're in the right place to find one.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Welcome old timer.
Are you looking for an excellent example ready to enjoy, or a project car.? Beware of rust. Far more difficult to 'tinker' with than mechanicals.

Plenty of reading in the link below about our hobby.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/content/
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

asyado

Post by asyado » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi there old timer,
welcome to the forum, its great to be able to have another Z mad keen man on deck, another Datto fan can never go amiss, lol.
May I ask what kind of budget are you looking at spending on an early Z, us forum members then might be able shed some light as to what you can possibly expect to buy for the coin you hope to part with and you might just find a closet Z comes out of the wood works so to speak from within the forum. There are a small number on Trademe for sale at the moment, but in my opinion over priced for what they have got.
I agree with Brian, I'd rather be tinkering with mech's rather than the devil Z rust that lurks under all of those hard to see sub spaces within a Z chassis. They are 40 years old after all.
I never mention Z budgets with my partner either, it helps keep the piece and my piece of mind, lol.
Again welcome to the forum.
Nigel aka asyado
Insanity is only one gear change away!!!

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:30 am

asyado wrote: There are a small number on Trademe for sale at the moment, but in my opinion over priced for what they have got.
As with anything, it's worth what someone will pay. 8) And they are appreciating. It's always interesting the number of inquiries we have at club stands at shows, events and through the website, budgets do seem to be rising . :D
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Old_timer

Post by Old_timer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks for the input all. Good tip about the rust. I'm OK with mechanicals but dealing with rust would definitely be a bit of an issue for me and I know from experience it can often be more than it looks. Budget wise I've allocated $15k for starters. Beyond that it will be a case of doing what I can when I can. No rush to get a show quality car, so long as its usable.

I'm keeping an eye on Trademe in the interest of gauging more about value. There have been a couple of nice examples but certainly some have, by comparison, looked a bit pricey. I'd love to know what people think is reasonable though.

Cheers
Billy