float bowl levels for hitachi carbs

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
B101

float bowl levels for hitachi carbs

Post by B101 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:52 am

i have had a good read on alot of forums about float bowl levels. aparently around the 23mm mark is what is suggested for the fuel hight in the bowl.
my question is does anyone know the hight of the fuel in the bowl after the float has been taken out? i have measured down from the lip of the bowl down to top of the fuel hight and its 33mm on both bowls. if there is no real way of knowing the fuel hight with the float out i will do what is recomended and get a clear hose and hook it up the the bowl and see where the fuel level sits after crankng the engine over a couple of times (with coil plug off).

what are the symptoms of have a float bowl too high or too low? is it just a case of running lean and running rich?
would there be a slight hesitation during acceleration if the bowl was low?

also i have realised that i have no gasket between the bowl and the lid.
can the thickness of the gasket be enought to starv my engine of fuel at high rpm? if so what material should i use to make my own gasket?
some people say dont use cork because it can swell???? opinions?

cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Tue May 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Sounds like your talking about the actual fuel level in bowl. You would need to run engine with vehicle level then turn off, wait a few minutes. Remove tops of fuel bowls and measure level. This would only show if the levels were the same or not. The manual says to place the float chamber cover complete with lever assembly on a bench so that the lever is upwards.Raise the float lever with a finger and then lower it slowly until the float lever seat just contacts the fuel inlet valve stem. Measure distance from underside of cover (now facing up) to top of float (now facing down), around 14 - 15mm. Yes you need to fit gaskets, easily made with plain gasket paper.
All Nissans are racecars.

B101

Post by B101 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:50 am

ZMAD wrote:Sounds like your talking about the actual fuel level in bowl. You would need to run engine with vehicle level then turn off, wait a few minutes. Remove tops of fuel bowls and measure level. This would only show if the levels were the same or not. The manual says to place the float chamber cover complete with lever assembly on a bench so that the lever is upwards.Raise the float lever with a finger and then lower it slowly until the float lever seat just contacts the fuel inlet valve stem. Measure distance from underside of cover (now facing up) to top of float (now facing down), around 14 - 15mm. Yes you need to fit gaskets, easily made with plain gasket paper.
the fuel level is within a mm on both bowls. will take it off over the weekend and check the hights. With adjusting the float hight, is it a matter of bending the little tab that the flaot bowl is attached too?

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Thu May 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Yes, the tab that contacts the fuel inlet valve. A mm out is not bad. Be carefull with the parts as easily damaged. Placing a float under petrol may reveil a hole?
All Nissans are racecars.

B101

Post by B101 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:31 pm

ZMAD wrote:Yes, the tab that contacts the fuel inlet valve. A mm out is not bad. Be carefull with the parts as easily damaged. Placing a float under petrol may reveil a hole?
what symptoms might i get if my fuel level in the bowl is a little low?