Cable throttle conversion

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
Pedey

Cable throttle conversion

Post by Pedey » Tue May 14, 2013 10:43 am

Hi everyone,

I'm back once again with more questions...

I'm interested to know who here has converted their throttle linkages to cable? If so, did you use a kit? Was it easy? What problems did you encounter? What can be deleted from the engine bay?

I'm basically going from SUs to triples, and I don't want to chop up any of the old linkages + eliminate slop + tidy up the bay. Any examples and experiences would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue May 14, 2013 11:56 am

not many do this - most use the stock linkages with new joints etc. However a cable is what I will be using on my triples on the track car as it does not have the linkages or the mounting in the firewall anymore - it was like that when I got the car - I have not installed the engine so I have not started to look at this yet - it will be one of the last things I do.

Sorry not much help :(

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 am

The hard nosed classic guys say leave the linkages, I did until recently and had them adjusted for wear and replaced where needed but finally gave up and brought a cable from CDL http://www.cdlautoparts.co.nz/pages/index.php that had a fitting on the end that went straight onto the standard S30 pedal shaft ball end and an outer cable with a sleeve and thread on it for running through the firewall. I had to bend the pedal shaft end a little to align it with the original firewall hole but that bend can be done with the pedal shaft in place. Come to think about it you may not need to do the bend as I had moved the accelerator pedal over for heeling and toeing. The pedal shaft has two methods available for cable connection at the end but I stayed with the ball end.

I shortened the supplied cable, soldered the end so it wouldnt fray and connected the inner straight through a drilled bolt and nut onto the throttle arm on the throttle bodies (carbs in your case) and mounted the outer on a bracket mounted on the manifold (this can be also mounted on the rocker cover)

It works faultlessly and is much more responsive, its an easy conversion and CDL seem to have a few cables that will suit, it may have been a Holden part I dont recall now.

This clears the firewall and along with the removal of the bonnet catch gives plenty of space for fuel lines, regulators and filters etc.

The conversion, by being bolted through the firewall, also gets rid of the the little rubber bellows on the firewall that always seems to hole through after very little use. So another fume entry point removed.

A peice of rubber hose on the cable where it may rub on the rocker cover and job done.

You are welcome to call in some time and check it out but CDL is your first stop, they are very helpful. I am not aware of a bolt on.

But easy conversion if you start with the right cable end at the pedal/firewall, the throttle linkage end is where all the modifications need to be done.

Less moving parts and quicker for engine removal, make sure its a good thick cable with a nice smooth tube.

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Tue May 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Andy wrote:The hard nosed classic guys say leave the linkages, I did until recently and had them adjusted for wear and replaced where needed but finally gave up and brought a cable from CDL http://www.cdlautoparts.co.nz/pages/index.php that had a fitting on the end that went straight onto the standard S30 pedal shaft ball end and an outer cable with a sleeve and thread on it for running through the firewall. I had to bend the pedal shaft end a little to align it with the original firewall hole but that bend can be done with the pedal shaft in place. Come to think about it you may not need to do the bend as I had moved the accelerator pedal over for heeling and toeing. The pedal shaft has two methods available for cable connection at the end but I stayed with the ball end.

I shortened the supplied cable, soldered the end so it wouldnt fray and connected the inner straight through a drilled bolt and nut onto the throttle arm on the throttle bodies (carbs in your case) and mounted the outer on a bracket mounted on the manifold (this can be also mounted on the rocker cover)

It works faultlessly and is much more responsive, its an easy conversion and CDL seem to have a few cables that will suit, it may have been a Holden part I dont recall now.

This clears the firewall and along with the removal of the bonnet catch gives plenty of space for fuel lines, regulators and filters etc.

The conversion, by being bolted through the firewall, also gets rid of the the little rubber bellows on the firewall that always seems to hole through after very little use. So another fume entry point removed.

A peice of rubber hose on the cable where it may rub on the rocker cover and job done.

You are welcome to call in some time and check it out but CDL is your first stop, they are very helpful. I am not aware of a bolt on.

But easy conversion if you start with the right cable end at the pedal/firewall, the throttle linkage end is where all the modifications need to be done.

Less moving parts and quicker for engine removal, make sure its a good thick cable with a nice smooth tube.
Brilliant, thanks so much for that info - I now feel much better about chopping stuff off the firewall

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:58 am

Yep get rid of all that linkage rubbish. Cable is the way to go. Pull Carb linkage shaft from between second and third carb. Im sure Andy is still really missing his old linkages !!

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Wed May 15, 2013 10:44 pm

I hated the linkages on mine especially when driving over an uneven surface. This caused a surge then drop in throttle due to movement. I used a Suzuki cable and return spring on each carb. All the original parts I just bagged/labled and boxed for future.
All Nissans are racecars.