K&N air filter for a L28.

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
Brock365

K&N air filter for a L28.

Post by Brock365 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Any idea where I can get one locally for a reasonable price?
Something like this.
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=K ... =&b=&m=all
I asked Repco. They had to ring around. They rung back.
I was quoted $280.00 with an 8 WEEK delivery time from USA.
Any ideas where I could get one cheaper, or more important faster than 2 months?
Owner of a Nissan 280ZX, a Toyota WiLL VS (yes its spelt with capital Ls) for the missus and a 2005 Nissan Skyline 3.5 litre manual sedan

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:28 pm

Try http://www.zcarparts.com/ and do a search for K&N.

Between US$40 and $50 - I would expect freight to be no more than US$20 and it would only take 4 or 5 days to get here.

I've been buying suspension parts from them and the landed price has been on average about half of what Nissan want here.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:31 pm

Well if you have a credit card - buy one from Stillen directly once you get a quote on the shipping allow for GST to be added if customs does stop the package (and a small handling fee - if you are luckly customs will let it pass they do from time to time)

Or better still replace the restrictive stock air intake setup with a cold air setup like this
However don't purchase the one from Motorsport Auto (were this pic came from) as they are asking $128 USD + shipping does come with a K&N Filter when you could pickup on from ebay for under $10 USD it is the shipping that will cost $50 USD. You could make one yourself then pick any good pop type filter for this type of cold air intrake setup.

Brock365

Post by Brock365 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:38 pm

1) laziness. Its easy to fit.
And more important: Originality over a pod filter.
But willa pod give better performance?
Owner of a Nissan 280ZX, a Toyota WiLL VS (yes its spelt with capital Ls) for the missus and a 2005 Nissan Skyline 3.5 litre manual sedan

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:05 pm

Brock365 wrote:And more important: Originality over a pod filter.
Cool if you want to keep it original then go the oval K&N just import one your self = cheaper sorry NZ buinesses if you can't play the game and have fair prices then this is what is going to happen in this internet based world today (I am happy to purchase locally and will pay a little more for the "support the Kiwi" but I know when I am getting ripped so I say import away and have the extra $$ for another part in the future
Brock365 wrote:But willa pod give better performance?
Hell yea. EDIT: Let me add to that - if well designed and you do get cold air in not hot air.

M4vr1k

Post by M4vr1k » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:58 am

I imported 2 K&N assemblies for my 260z, when i had the SUs on it. Cost me $130 a peice, and it took nearly 3 months for them to arrive....They looked the part though, and anything has got to be better than a factory intake
[M4VR1K]
1974 Datsun 260z 2+2

djz

Post by djz » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:15 am

Has yours got the short or tall filter on it? You could try ringing Pioneer Autoparts direct and see what they say, you'll still have to wait the 8 odd weeks, the part number for the short one is E2880 and the tall one is E2990. I don't think on a stock ZX you'll notice much of an increase in performance with a K&N, but they can be cleaned so thats all good.

A K&N pod costs around $100 and all you need is a 2.75 or 3" (can't remember which) piece of right angle pipe to install it.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.