Hi! Soon to own a 350Z - IMPORT QUESTION

New to the site? Say hello here!
CroneOne

Hi! Soon to own a 350Z - IMPORT QUESTION

Post by CroneOne » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:18 am

Hi everyone,
I will soon own a 350Z. I'm still in research mode trying to find out whether importing from Japan
is a better option than purchasing off Trademe. I hope to find a good Nismo edition or a newer
(05-08) Z33.

Has anyone imported their car? Was it worth it?
I've emailed carwebs.co.nz a few times asking about the auction process but they
don't reply and don't seem interested in doing business.

I've also tried mport2order.co.nz and they say that it's tough to find this type of car
in good condition and it takes a while to find a good one. They haven't followed up with any
options.

It seems that one can grab a much better deal on Japan prices...I just need to find an NZ importer
who actually wants my money:)

Cheers! RC

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Welcome to the forum. 8) There are a few people that have imported Zeds on here over the last few years. I'm sure they'll jump in to respond. 8)

If you're after a proper Nismo edition and not just a stickered Nismo (when it's not really), you'll probably have to import from Japan. I'm only aware of a couple that came into NZ, never seen a Nismo edition in the flesh though. :(

Quite a few nice later model 350's around on TM. You missed out on a very nice San Marino Blue 2007 a month ago, from within the club.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Here's a link, but bearing in mind, it's mostly American info (differences over here), but gives you the general bits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/350z
Next - Z Club events:

CroneOne

Post by CroneOne » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:22 pm

You missed out on a very nice San Marino Blue 2007 a month ago, from within the club.
Aw man! 2007 is my ideal year. Do you know how much it went for? I'm thinking based on the average
NZ price on trademe (although prices and years seem scattered) about $27-30k ?

Basically what i was wondering from these importers is if I could climb into the '07 range for
about $20k, as the guys from import2order claim to save on average $5000 compared to the NZ
dealer prices.

Thanks for the tips

netrover

Post by netrover » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi there

I imported my 35th Anniversay Zed from Japan, using a client of mine who also imports bulk from Japan for his business. Basically I located the car on this website:

http://www.gtnet.co.jp/usedcar/00200_05400/index1.html

and after a lot of super sleuthing figured out exactly where it was (Tokyo as it happened), and then my guy sent his contacts around to look at it to make sure it was all good. Although they got a trade deal on the price off the yard, I probably paid a little more for it than if it had gone through an auction site.

I had spent a few months sufing the auction sites and not one 35th model ever came up!

The NZ dealers all have access to the Japan on-line auctions, so if you found someone in your area who you were happy with, get them to look out for what you want and import it for you if it looks OK.

Good luck!
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

netrover

Post by netrover » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm

CroneOne wrote:
You missed out on a very nice San Marino Blue 2007 a month ago, from within the club.
Aw man! 2007 is my ideal year. Do you know how much it went for? I'm thinking based on the average

Basically what i was wondering from these importers is if I could climb into the '07 range for
about $20k, as the guys from import2order claim to save on average $5000 compared to the NZ
dealer prices.

Thanks for the tips
Don't forget about GST charged at import, plus compliance costs! GST is charged at 15% on the Japan price, plus shipping and insurance.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 pm

CroneOne wrote:Aw man! 2007 is my ideal year. Do you know how much it went for? I'm thinking based on the average

dealer prices.
Around 26k I think, maybe a bit more. Was an NZ new too, so had all the goodies, lowish mileage. 8)

Mid to late 20's - 30 ish, for a late model 350 is probably about market rate, depending on mileage and condition.

By the way, if they claim it's a 2007 and it doesn't have a hood bump bonnet and dual intakes, it ain't a 2007 (2007 onwards has the HR engine, extra horses). :wink:

The only bonus with buying one that's already in NZ, is you can go and see it, and make sure it doesn't have any sensor issues etc. Not sure if the Jap grading system looks at electrical/sensor side of things. Always depends how much you can save bringing one in.

Netrover was lucky to find a good one. 8)
Next - Z Club events:

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I may be biased, but... get a 2007-2009 HR (bonnet bump) model if you can! You won't regret it - the motor is (apparently) 80% different/revamped to the DE models (03-06) and Nissan seemed to have got rid of quite a few 'niggles' in the car. You'll need to spend a bit more, but I belive it'll save you $$ in the long run.

And, get a manual! ;-)

Good luck,
Chris

CroneOne

Post by CroneOne » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:58 pm

Hey Netrover
Yeah your point there is kind of my point too. It seems that the selection
is much better in Japan and you can find year/model/color/condition a lot easier. Obviously it pays to have someone you can trust in the process. There's so few late models on trademe. I signed up on carwebs.co.nz just to view the auctions and there's heaps of juicy z33s. The cool thing on the carwebs interface is you can type in the car price and it gives you the full landed price incl. Gst shipping etc.
Thanks for the 07 tips Bronzee ill be microscoping the authenticity. Ive got the trademe search saved, ready to jump on the next decent 07. Dont want silver though which seems so common.

CroneOne

Post by CroneOne » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Hey Chris
Yeah I read about the 07 changes. Made me salivate even more. Im all about the better engineering. And manual is a 100% I dont even know why they'd make automatic Z's or what do they call them these days? "Triptonics":)

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:37 pm

CroneOne wrote:And manual is a 100% I dont even know why they'd make automatic Z's or what do they call them these days? "Triptonics":)
Manual is great, and the tiptronic is also very capable in either manual or auto mode. The only time the tiptronic will give you grief in the original model 350's is on the track, when it disagrees with your gear selection usually going into a corner. Manual v tiptronic, the tiptronics you rarely hear of issues with the tiptronic box. Either is a good option of Z, it just depends what suits you. 8)
Next - Z Club events:

netrover

Post by netrover » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:00 pm

BRONZEE wrote:
CroneOne wrote:And manual is a 100% I dont even know why they'd make automatic Z's or what do they call them these days? "Triptonics":)
Manual is great, and the tiptronic is also very capable in either manual or auto mode. The only time the tiptronic will give you grief in the original model 350's is on the track, when it disagrees with your gear selection usually going into a corner. Manual v tiptronic, the tiptronics you rarely hear of issues with the tiptronic box. Either is a good option of Z, it just depends what suits you. 8)
Tiptronic would be great around town when bogged in slow moving traffic! Thankfully most of my running is open road / hills so I can really enjoy the manual box. Still trying to master the heel / toe business though!

CroneOne

Post by CroneOne » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:06 am

Haha no offense to triptronics, I'm sure they rock but I'm definitely 'jay leno's garage' when it comes to being old school manual.

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:40 pm

I've imported a 300zx from Japan

You may be interested to know the cost breakdown for it was a follows:
Car Cost +
$180 Export cert, $115 MAF inspection, $125 LT inspection $1,510 Shipping, $50 Insurance, $25 Entry permit, $240 Clearance, $90 Port Charges, $35 Local transport
$500 import fee delivered to your door with no compliance test. (Customs also charged me a $440 fee to "clean it" prior to releasing it. I paid this fee but car arrived very dirty!.)

+ NZ LTSA certification/WOF/Rego

Besure to insure! Very common for private imported sports cars to have stuff stolen from them during shipping.

Phone Katherine or Ash if you are wanting to deal through carwebs. They can save you money in the long run with shipping etc.
Or katherine@carwebs.co.nz should get a responce.

CroneOne

Post by CroneOne » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Hey zilver thanks for the advice. I will check out carwebs again.

****ON a different note, what do you guys think of that 2004 nismo S edition on trademe? Looks sick! But wondering if I am better off waiting for a nice 2007 . Opinions? Advice?