Low oil pressure problem HELP!

350Z
Rated18

Low oil pressure problem HELP!

Post by Rated18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:41 pm

I got a 2003 350z its done about 110k, recently while i was driving on the motorway i checked the oil pressure gauge and it was almost hitting 0 this was at about 2~2.5k rpm, I came home and noticed that there was almost no oil, so i filled it up with 10w40 (about 3.5L). The next service was due on 112k and at previous service they used 10w30 so just to make sure everything was ok i kept an eye at the oil pressure gauge for the first couple of hundred kms the oil pressure was normal but when the car is on idle (cars warm) the oil pressure is almost near 0, I checked the oil level and it is 3/4 full, i checked if there are any leaks or if smoke is coming out of the exhaust but there wasn't anything.
So i went to Nissan and told them this, and they said they will have to check whats wrong first which would take about an hour which would cost $114 so i just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice before spending that much money on just a check up. Thanks

Please any advice will be help full

disruptiv

Post by disruptiv » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 pm

did you check the radiator?

Rated18

Post by Rated18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:08 pm

i didn't notice any oil in the water/coolant in the radiator but there was light brown sluggish thing inside the wall of the radiator

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:09 pm

It's an old rule. Check your liquids under the hood regulary. You may have done damage but cheaper to get oil filter change and check all levels first before paying nissan big bucks. a good mechanic can fix any car for a whole lot less. Might have F'ed the oil pump or lack of water in cooling system?
All Nissans are racecars.

disruptiv

Post by disruptiv » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Rated18 wrote:i didn't notice any oil in the water/coolant in the radiator but there was light brown sluggish thing inside the wall of the radiator
so your water is not green?

Rated18

Post by Rated18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:13 pm

yea i know i had just recently bought the car and had the servicing done less that 7k km ago, I am really hoping that its not the oil pump cause i heard its in thousands to replace.

Rated18

Post by Rated18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:25 pm

i have attached a picture, when i dip my finger in the radiator and put the water on my palm, the water is clear and i don't see any oil floating up either in the radiator
Attachments
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 2762 times

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Your coolant is in a bad way. Easy to flush and replace yourself but if you can't pay a mechanic.
All Nissans are racecars.

Rated18

Post by Rated18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Yup gonna do it this weekend :D

added a video to Youtube might help, and the oil pressure drop even more when the rpm goes close to 500
http://youtu.be/fIHqtEs8yv0

disruptiv

Post by disruptiv » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:13 pm

could there be a little bit of poo on the sender?

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:04 pm

Rated18 wrote:yea i know i had just recently bought the car and had the servicing done less that 7k km ago, I am really hoping that its not the oil pump cause i heard its in thousands to replace.
Who had the service done, was that you or the previous owner??? I wouldn't necessary believe what they've told you, unless you have invoices etc from them.

Maybe you have an oil burner. It's more common in the 2006 + models, but the odd one of the older model ones has been reported in the US & UK. But you would normally have signs of this. Consumption in oil burners is usually fairly high. A healthy 350 will use hardly any oil.
There are a few really massive threads on the US forum about this topic.
http://my350z.com/forum/esp_search.php? ... rn&type=wp

If you want to get a rough idea of pricing, obviously this is in US $, but gives you a vague idea:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_ ... n=Go&cat=1

& the only online site, also useful for idea of parts pricing:
http://www.cockramnissan.co.nz/shop/

It might be a good idea to just bite the bullet and spend the $114 for them to check it out and see what they come up with.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:08 pm

ps. 5w 30. :wink:
Next - Z Club events:

Rated18

Post by Rated18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:24 pm

It was the previous owner who did the service, i think its legitimate since its an AA sticker, anyways will service the car tomorrow to see if that would fix the oil pressure problem and if it doesn't might as well give it to Nissan to check it out, after all they know every part of the car. Should i use 5w30 oil or 10w30 (AA used this) the car does had 110k km on it. Thanks

Rated18

Post by Rated18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Oh and i do that the invoice for it

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:38 pm

Rated18 wrote:It was the previous owner who did the service, i think its legitimate since its an AA sticker, anyways will service the car tomorrow to see if that would fix the oil pressure problem and if it doesn't might as well give it to Nissan to check it out, after all they know every part of the car. Should i use 5w30 oil or 10w30 (AA used this) the car does had 110k km on it. Thanks
5w 30 is the recommended oil as per the owners manual. I have posted in the past posted a link about oils. Others on here that are more knowledgeable about oils than I, they may chime in.

When you do the oil change, keep a very close eye on the oil level and pressure (record what it's doing), or if there's any change, what's it's doing at that point. If it's not running right, take it straight in to get looked at.

Wonder if they used oem filter etc when the service was done?
Next - Z Club events: